Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm up to page 190 of The Turning so am just over halfway finished. It's a very light read that's for sure, but I'm having fun with it after that last book. I'm looking forward to moving back to something heavy after I finish this one though :blush:.

Finished Possession. What a lovely book. :blush: I will get on with reading Alice now.

Glad you enjoyed Possession, Ooshie :roll: Did you find it a tough read, though?

I started reading Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding.

Glad you enjoyed Possession, Ooshie :eek2: Did you find it a tough read, though?

I found most of the book a straightforward and enjoyable read, and it made me cry at the end which I wasn't expecting *sniff*.

But I wasn't joking when I said it had lots of long poems in it - several pages long, many of them - and it also had quite a long section with letters written between two Victorian poets. I have to admit that I did find these bits very hard going, and I think that when I reread this book in the future I will probably miss them out! :blush:

I am full of admiration for A S Byatt for having created the poems and letters, and the different voices she successfully gave each poet, but to me the poems in particular didn't add anything to the story and just made me long for them to end as I dutifully read through them! :roll:

A copy of Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures turned up in the post today. I think it's a "thank you" from the publisher for reading the proof copy of Plague Child. It looks a female-orientated book on first viewing, but I stand to be corrected. Has anyone read it?

A copy of Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures turned up in the post today. I think it's a "thank you" from the publisher for reading the proof copy of Plague Child. It looks a female-orientated book on first viewing, but I stand to be corrected. Has anyone read it?

I have read it! Not sure of your taste in books but I would say that you are spot on in your thoughts! The story is told from two points of view but they are both women!

I enjoyed the book but felt that nothing much happened. Incidentially I was in London 2 weeks ago and I went to the Natural History Museum and saw Mary Anning's fossil. It was pretty cool!

I think Mexicola read it too, Roland, but don't quote me. I love Chevalier dearly and it's on my wishlist :blush:. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think if/when you read it!

Read another 100 or so pages of Martin Lukes: Who Moved My Blackberry? which is very funny (I'm sure I know one or two real life Martin's), and have started planning day trip to London in a couple of weeks. Will be indulging in a day of bookshops, so have started plotting the route I need to take to make the best use of time and least amount of travelling.

I hope you enjoy it, Pixie, I found it a very good read.

I finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and started I Can See You by Karen Rose. I need an entertaining read to cheer me up, and that looks like it should keep me occupied now the rain has come on! :blush:

Rubbish visit to the library today even went into the book shop but was uninspired :roll:, I might make a visit to Amazon and treat myself :blush:.

so I will continue with The Seance which I am enjoying

^^That usually happens to me when I go to the library during the summer, because you're allowed to borrow more books than usual, and for a longer period of time. So all of the good ones are out, and the ones left are either crappy, or good but have already been read :blush:

Have read 50ish pages of The book thief, and have got about as much till the end of The 5 people you meet in heaven :roll:

I've given up on The Turning, mainly for being far too fluffy and to be honest, a waste of time. I decided instead to finally start The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow, and after hearing all kinds of praises heaped upon it by Mac, I'm really looking forward to read it! :blush:

Just finished 'Banquet of the Damned' by Adam Nevill, now back to 'Little Big Man' by Thomas Berger :blush:

I've finished The Laughing Corpse by Laurell. K. Hamilton and I've started to read Club Dead by Charlaine Harris to refresh my memory for Season 3 of True Blood :blush: