Luther

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the series has been getting better and better. Totally unrealistic, but if you just take it for what it is, it's very entertaining. Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson are both excellent and very charismatic actors.

Ruth Wilson is a lot more frightening than she was in Jane Eyre!!

Ruth Wilson is a lot more frightening than she was in Jane Eyre!!

It's the tight corset, it makes you go loopy!!:blush:

I've enjoyed Luther. Very entertaining but I'm all in favour of grumpy detectives.

I agree. After what I thought was a quite poor first episode, I decided to carry on and have found each episode since to be gripping viewing. Last one next week :blush:

It's definitely far-fetched, and Luther seems to be able to solve a crime very easily, but it's all quite exciting.

Yes, a very good final episode. I wonder what he will do now though, as he's surely in no better position than when they thought he had killed his wife. I hope they make another series.

As Ian had stabbed Luther, I presume they can say that they shot him in self-defence. It was Ian who brought the gun. But there's still the business of him attacking the two officers to take the other gun (albeit Ripley knew what was happening). I don't suppose they will look too kindly on him being in cahoots with Alice either.

What I was surprised about was how STUPID his boss Rose Teller was. Luther telephoned her to say that Ian was at Zoe's, and may be about to hurt her, yet Teller didn't consider following that up even for a second. She had basically made up her mind that Luther had killed Zoe before they had anything solid to back it up at all.

Great series though - I do hope they do a second one. And if they do, I hope Ruth Wilson is in it. I think she was fabulous in this show.

I'm so glad i watched this series even though it's been a bit far fetched it's been extremely watchable & the last episode was the best of the lot. I've got to say Idris Elba is very hunky :D

As Ian had stabbed Luther, I presume they can say that they shot him in self-defence. It was Ian who brought the gun. But there's still the business of him attacking the two officers to take the other gun (albeit Ripley knew what was happening). I don't suppose they will look too kindly on him being in cahoots with Alice either.

What I was surprised about was how STUPID his boss Rose Teller was. Luther telephoned her to say that Ian was at Zoe's, and may be about to hurt her, yet Teller didn't consider following that up even for a second. She had basically made up her mind that Luther had killed Zoe before they had anything solid to back it up at all.

Great series though - I do hope they do a second one. And if they do, I hope Ruth Wilson is in it. I think she was fabulous in this show.

I agree about Ruth Wilson. She's been brilliant in everything I've seen her in.

I suppose with Rose that they knew how volatile Luther could be, and that he'd had a ding-dong with Zoe and had smashed the window in his office, so was obviously angry about it. Ian had done nothing to make her suspicious of him. I think that whole thing at the end about having to find Ian urgently wasn't very well thought out, as what reason did they have (apart from Ripley's feelings) to say that Ian was involved in it at all?

I agree Nic, because although Ripley believed Luther, he didn't actually know anything about what had happened, so I don't know what he could have said to Schenk to convince him that Ian was up to no good. But Schenk seemed to work something out for himself when he watched the recording of Luther and Ian at the meeting point.

Also, I was a bit surprised that Mark agreed to help out Luther so quickly. Obviously Luther must have been very convincing, but throughout the whole series, Mark has not believed anything Luther has said, so I would have thought that he would have dismissed anything Luther said out of hand.

I don't really like a lot of unrealistic shows (which is why I never watch CSI or anything like that), but I must admit that despite it's preposterousness (is that a word!) at times, Luther has been very watchable.

I still think Rose should have at least considered the fact that Luther might have been telling the truth about Ian though. I can't believe she just dismissed it instantly. When someone is murdered and someone that you have previously trusted (even though he's a known hothead) claims that someone else is responsible, it surely bears at least considering. Plus, with the amount of CCTV in London, I would have thought that Luther would have been able to prove that he was not at the house when Zoe got shot. (And he could prove when Zoe had phoned him - although not what she said - whcih would have shown that he was not at the house at around the time that she was shot, because if he had have been, she wouldn't have phoned him. I hope that makes sense, I'm not sure I've worded it very well.)

Edited by Ruth

Yes, that makes sense.

I was surprised about Mark's eagerness to believe Luther too. That didn't ring true.

And Rose should have thought there was something fishy about Luther saying Ian had killed Zoe when they were supposed to be such good friends and colleagues.

I could never believe how quickly Luther managed to solve cases, but I didn't mind because it was so watchable.

• 3 months later...

Luther back for a second outing - in two 2-hour specials.

Luther makes a welcome return in two two-hour specials with Idris Elba reprising his role of Luther, the near-genius murder detective whose brilliant mind can't always save him from the dangerous violence of his passions.

Idris Elba says: "I'm really excited to be coming home to play Luther again. He's got so many more stories to tell... assuming he manages to live long enough. I've cleared my diary and will be back later in the year."

Creator and writer Neil Cross says: "In series one, we saw DCI John Luther take quite a beating – both physically and emotionally. In these specials, he's not only still standing – he's back for more. Luther's world is as fast-moving and dangerous as ever... and the challenges he faces are even more intense."

Luther and Sherlock were commissioned by Ben Stephenson, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, and Jay Hunt, Controller, BBC One, and will transmit in 2011.

• 1 year later...