Cover Versions

In your opinion are there any cover versions that are better than the original?

Placebo--Daddy Cool and Running up that Hill I really like.

As usual when I start thinking about this sort of thing my mind goes totally blank, but in the middle of the night, I'll think of loads.

:D

I love both of those Placebo covers. Also, Muse's version of Feeling Good is awesome.

And I recently heard a wonderful cover version of

that totally rocks.

I think Nirvana's 'The Man Who Sold The World' is slightly better than Bowie's. Of course I am biased as I do like the band more than him, but I appreciate what a great musician and songwriter he is. The performance that night, on unplugged, was full of something untouchable, every section was beautifully perfect, the cover songs I found most moving, seeing Kurt's subtle additions here and there, which is great. Such passion for the music you can almost physically see in his silence between words. So yeah that's one of mine :D

I haven't checked out the Meat Puppets originals yet but i'll look forward to comparing :D

Ditto on the Buckley, Mexicola!

Another one that comes to mind right now is Rage Against the Machine's cover of Dylan's Maggie's Farm, and I really like Chris Cornell's version of Redemption Song because I'm not a fan of Marley at all.

I might be back later if I think of more...

I haven't checked out the Meat Puppets originals yet but i'll look forward to comparing :D

I've only heard Plateau and i only looked it up to compare it with the Nirvana version

I'm also tempted to say Hurt - I think the Johnny Cash version is more epic than the NIN original, although both are fantastic.

I have to agree, the Cash version is fantastic and the video adds so much to the song

Metallica do great covers, their cover of Bob Seger's 'Turn the Page' is one of their greatest songs imo.

I prefer Tori Amo's acoustic cover of Wild Horses originally done by The Rolling Stones. Eva Cassidy's covers of 'Time after Time' and 'Over the Rainbow' are great. I love Faith and the Muse's cover of 'Running up that Hill' as well as their cover of 'Soul in Isolation' originally done by The Chameleons. Siouxsie and the Banshees cover of The Passenger is good as well. I think Lacuna Coil did a good cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the silence too. There are loads of songs covered that have surpassed the original, others have just ruined already perfect songs.

My brother listens to a man that covers alot of songs but mainly nu-metal and sings them in a Frank Sinatra way, I need to find his name....one song he sings is a Disturbed song, with him singing 'get down with the sickness' in a jazzy way, it is a very odd experience to hear some heavy songs completely overhauled but good also as you hear the lyrics in a different way, maybe even hear some for the first time depending on the song.

Got to love Machine Head's cover of Message in a bottle too :D

Edited by chrysalis_stage

It would be refreshing, the amount of times that disturbed song comes on in clubs around here :D

I also like System of a Down's cover of 'Metro' a lot better than the song by the band Berlin.

Another one! I prefer the Hendrix version of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower.

And I prefer the version that was used in the reimagined Battlestar Galatica which was arranged and recorded by Bear McReary.

I think Nirvana's 'The Man Who Sold The World' is slightly better than Bowie's.

I totally agree although I'm a fan of Bowie's so I like the original too.

Hurt by Johnny Cash is amazing!!! I can also never decide if I prefer Bob Dylan's or The Byrds' version of Mr Tambourine Man :D Hmmmmmmm.........

I like Bowie too, i just really love the cover more :D

I prefer Guns version too of LaLD, Axl is amazing on that.

How about Madness's version of Labi Siffri's "It must be love"?

Have to agree with Nirvana's version of the man who sold the world. And while I'm not keen on Faith No More's version of "Easy", I do like their versions of "War Pigs" & "Midnight Cowboy"

Damn - thought of another just as I posted!

This one is awesome - can't believe I forgot about it - Credance Clearwater Revival's cover of "I heard it through the grapevine". All 11 minutes of it!

Ian

Damn - thought of another just as I posted!

This one is awesome - can't believe I forgot about it - Credance Clearwater Revival's cover of "I heard it through the grapevine". All 11 minutes of it!

Ian

I agree :lol: love Creedence listen to them all the time on my Ipod.

I prefer Devo's version of Satisfaction to the Rolling Stones also John Cale's Hallelujah to Leonard Cohens.