Don't Believe the Hype

Coffin Nail

Cloverfield - Why was it made and as importantly how on earth did anyone like it!

Shakespeare in Love - Considering the hype and the awards it won and the films it beat to win those awards you'd think it would be good but it's not.

Agreed on Cloverfield - two hours of feeling seasick, and for what? It didn't even have an ending, not even a rubbish one.

I will however dissent on Shakespeare in Love - cheesily ahistorical as it is, it made this Shakespeare fangirl laugh, cry and clap her hands gleefully in all the right places.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too love LOTR and almost cried after watching The Phantom Menace, I felt so let down that I haven't yet been able to bring myself to watch either Revenge of the Sith or Attack of the Clones!

You haven't missed much.

Agreed on Cloverfield - two hours of feeling seasick, and for what? It didn't even have an ending, not even a rubbish one.

I quite like Cloverfield, but then I'm a fan of 50's B-movies, and I thought it was a pretty good update.

The start is too slow, but after that it picks up. I think it's actually better to watch on the small screen, so it feels more like the home movie it was intended to be (and the camera shaking doesn't get to you so much!).

I loved Cloverfield. I thought it was absolutely brilliantly done. But I love those sorts of home-video movies anyway - the Spanish film [Rec] is another example. I think things seem a lot more realistic done through a shakey videocam. It's much like it'd be in real life if such monsters existed - you wouldn't get fantastic arial shots other than those Cloverfield has - from helicopter reporting live to the news. You'd just feel the vibrations, catch glimpses, hear the explosions, etc.

@Giulia: As for the ending - it did have an ending!

They blew up Central Park/New York, can't remember which. Their two aims in the entire movie - get the girl out of the crushed building, and get to one of the last helicopters airlifting people out before they blew the place up. They didn't make it.

The fact that the video camera was found, labelled, archived and later 'distributed' (as the movie we see) implies that they were able to afterwards access what was left of Central Park, which in turn implies blowing the place up DID destroy/contain the monster.

What more of an ending do you need?

Titanic - what a load of tosh that was. I thought Kate Winslet was terrible in it as well, what with her multi changeable accent etc.

The Blair Witch Project - not scary, not exciting, not even very interesting. Just plain boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Inception - Well, not 'pish', but it's not THAT amazing. Very good movie, but it doesn't warrant comparison to the likes of The Matrix, unless you're referring to the basic structure of the film and the idea of not knowing what is real and what isn't. It has no real depth, just complexity. It's a proper blockbuster. It is good though, definitely worth watching.

Inception - Perfection ,too good to be real I must be dreaming