How Fast Do You Read?

Nienna

I guess I am another painfully slow reader. I generally only read books from the 1800s, and it takes me a bit to get into the language of the author. The Wizard of Oz took only a few hours, while Catch-22 took me over a month. Granted I teach preschool, so most of my time is spent coloring, cutting, creating materials to use the next day.

I wonder if I made myself read for say an hour a day if I would speed up some?

I mostly read classics, too. I wonder if this contributes... I guess they tend to be a bit more verbose, so it could generally take longer to parse older-language books, although because I'm so used to 19th Century writing now I'm not sure it would phase me much. I probably just like taking my time!

Also, for those who mentioned Twilight: this is probably the quickest I have ever got through a book. Painfully boring writing (in my opinion :) with a sort of heart-quickening teenage romance plot, which was really it's only hook. Once I finished it my main thought was, "Er... what was the point of that, then?" I don't get it! :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also about a book a week on average - however it can be 2 in a week or with some it can take me up to 2-3 weeks. I guess it just depends on the book, and whatever else is going on.

I do read a lot more now that I did say 10 years ago, when it would have been only 1 book every couple of months!

I read really slowly in comparison to most people on here. I aim for a book a month, but at the minute I'm struggling to even do that! In my defense, my books this year have all been over 500 pages, but still it's taking a long time!!

I just can't read any quicker, I have to absorb every single word and will read some passages two or three times. Also, I can't read when I'm tired (which is a lot of the time!) or when there is any noise or distractions.

Book Fiend, don't feel like you're alone! I'm the same. 500+ pages takes me forever! If I feel like I haven't read a paragraph properly it nags at me until I have to go over it again to make sure I've taken in every bit of it. D: And nope, I can't read with distractions either, although a background murmer (like on the train, for instance) helps! I'm very picky. :s

When I was younger, so much younger than today I used to read a 200pp book a day with one or two 500pp+ books going along the side; right now - what with lack of time/concentration and presence of stress, I'm lucky to read a 200pp book in a month... it'll often take me a lot longer than that *hangs head in shame*.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a quick reader. I am more the type to enjoy a book over time, than really read fast. Unless it is a really intense book, that I absolutely cannot put down, I rarely read a book within a day - though I've done it before. I usually like to drag it out, and really develop the characters in my mind over time. I like to get used to them, and think about them when I put the book down for a while.. and break from reading.

I look at people who read very fast with a huge amount of books as their goal for the year.. and I will never read that many! I sometimes feel like I'm super slow!:blush:

I wish I read a bit faster than I do. I can read faster, but then I lose the whole point of the experience and joy. So I only hurry through literature for courses in school.

I don

I've been reading a lot less than I used to of late (trouble with my neck, so sitting with my head down is a bad idea) but I still seem to be pretty quick when I get down to it. I saw a book mentioned in a thread yesterday morning, had a notion to read it again, and finished it late last night (318 pages) but I'm not certain exactly how much time I spent on it, and I *know* I skipped a descriptive section...

What?! How can you just SKIP a whole section?! That would just irritate me sooo much until I had to go back over it again - I have to explore every single corner of a book or I feel like I haven't even read it. :smile2:

I finished a 700 page book I started before breakfast this morning just after lunch time. I did spend most of that time reading, however, I spent some time doing other things (walking around my local town, mainly). I'm a very quick reader, and have to admit sometimes I miss out small details the first time round that is why 9 times out of 10 I will re-read the book.

Mitch

Wow! This thread is really interesting; although I do have one question for those people who have admitted skipping parts, how can do you do such a thing? I'm really anal when it comes to reading. I have to read every single word, even the acknowledgments and 'about the author' pages. If I don't I feel like i've missed parts out!

Anyway to answer the question, I think I'm probably about average when it comes to how fast I read. It actually depends on a few different factors including the genre, author, style of writing, subject matter, where I'm reading etc. I don't like to rush through books and tend to take my time with them. I probably average out at about a book and a half per week depending on length etc, but again this can vary depending on what else is happening in my life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Eliza1
I have to read every single word, even the acknowledgments and 'about the author' pages. If I don't I feel like i've missed parts out!

I'm the same, I have to read a book cover to cover. And sometimes that's not fun, especially when there is loads of study notes as with some copies of the classics etc. But I wouldn't feel right unless I did :reading:

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to average one book a week, regardless of length, over time.

I try not to race through things. I'm not much of a one for re-reading so try to absorb everything. There's nothing worse than coming away feeling like you've not read a book properly.

I'm a pretty slow reader, imo.

But my problem is mainly that I usually don't read every day, unless the book is fantastic and I want to know what happens next :D Which is why it takes me a lohong time to finish a book I might probably read in a day or two.

I think it takes me an hour to read 50 pages, like lopeanha.

Though when I was practising rapid reading before, I read a 400 page book in an hour and a half, which was actually pretty slow compared to other people...

What can I say, I don't practice :D

Edited by Brida