I'm new here!

Skírnir

Hello everyone :exc:

As I stumbled upon the link to this forum on Google, I decided to sign up and I have to say - it looks good! I'm a big fan of books and literature (as you surely all are) and I'm excited to have found a place with such a lively discussion on books and authors. I see a lot of interesting things going on here, the idea of "the Reading Circle" especially intrigues me.

Although, after looking at some of your ~2010 reading lists, I must say that I am not such a fast reader as a lot of you seem to be. I am very busy with school at the moment, and work during the summers, but I'm looking forward to enjoying some good books with you and hopefully getting to know some of you! :irked:

Because i'm bored, I decided to write whatever comes to mind about me, my likes, dislikes, interests, et cetera. It's a long text of blabbering so if you're not as bored and restive as I am at this moment - skip to the last paragraph. :eek:

I'm 18 years old and female. I love reading and I have become so much of a book-addict these days that I've started to spend most of my money on books, ones I don't even have the time to read. I find something to like in all genres: fiction, sci-fi, non-fiction, thriller, romance, science, classic... I must admit that I have for long lingered on sci-fi's and children's books (for which I have a soft spot) but I have a long TBR list of both classics, science treatises, books on history, books by Nobel Prize winners as well as more sci-fi books to started on!

I think I generally am a nice person. Sometimes I can be too honest and I'm definitely very curious about almost everything, which probably enkindles my huge enthusiasm for subjects such as history and physics/mathematics in school. I can be very stubborn and I sometimes come off arrogant - even though I don't mean to at all - perhaps on account of how sarcastic I can be at times. I'm not extremely outgoing or social - definitely not a party-person - I prefer little groups of 3-4 friends. I don't have an extreme need to be around someone at all times or having someone to talk to either - frankly I love spending time on my own reading or drawing, which is another one of my hobbies. For those of you who believe in Zodiac signs, I'm Aries. I'm registered in the Lutheran church of my country (as about 90% of the population here), though I can not be considered very religious. I simply haven't decided what to believe yet. As you can see, I'm prone to talking too much when I really get into it and if you could even be bothered to read all this text, I congratulate you. :lol:

As I noticed in a "Where are you from?"-thread that a lot of you are from the UK, I'm asking you nicely not to stone me when I say this but... I'm Icelandic. I currently live in the capital area of Iceland and I must say that I in no way am responsible for the money we owe your nation because of IceSave and I beg of you that you do not judge me because of my nationality. I also take no responsiblity for the ash our volcano is spreading over your flight-areas and preventing flights all around. ;)

That said, I also ask that you be patient with me if you come across a lot of language difficulties, English is only my second language and there certainly is a huge void between English and Icelandic. By reading however, I am constantly improving my vocabulary so bare with me. ;)

Enough about me! Tell me a little something about you?

Welcome! Nobody is going to judge you because of your nationality haha. Iceland is an awesome country. There are also people here from lots of different countries where English is their second language, you'll fit in no problem!

What sort of Sci-Fi books are you into? There aren't a massive number of Sci-Fi fans on here, but I'm quite interested in it myself!

Welcome! Nobody is going to judge you because of your nationality haha. Iceland is an awesome country. There are also people here from lots of different countries where English is their second language, you'll fit in no problem!

What sort of Sci-Fi books are you into? There aren't a massive number of Sci-Fi fans on here, but I'm quite interested in it myself!

The nationality-comment was written in sort of a sarcastic way - though it is honestly true that we do get a bit of angry comments from Brits because of it.

And for long, I have been using the terms for "fantasy" and "sci-fi" as if it were one genre, even though I know they're not exactly the same. I hope that doesn't cause much confusion but I'm not really sure where my favourites should be classified. I could tell you that I'm interested in reading books such as Hitchikers Guide (one I'm sure I'd love, but I haven't gotten the chance to start it yet) and e.g. Iliad/Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I'm also a big fan of the definite fantasies: Harry Potter (of course), His Dark Materials, Inheritance trilogy(Eragon). I also used to read Artemis Fowl when I was a bit younger as well, though I still have a soft spot for those.

I'm also started on A Song of Ice and Fire and they're honestly awesome, much more "advanced" fantasy if compared to the children's books I've named. ;) I recommend you try them out if you like fantasy as well!

What would you say are your favourite Sci-fi novels? I'll see which ones you mentione and tell you if I've read them myself. :irked:

Hello! :irked:

I was lucky enough not to be stuck somewhere away from home because of the volcanic ash cloud, in fact, it was of benefit to me as the skies were blissfully quiet except for birdsong, so being Icelandic can only count in your favour for me :lol:

Hope you enjoy it here, and look forward to reading your posts ;)

OH BUmm I thought for once I was going to be first to say hello but the regulars have beaten me to it :irked:...welcome Skirnir (great name) Waffle and talk all you want here.

Oh yeah the ash cloud brought lots of sunshine with it so Iceland is forgiven. About the money....well it's only money isn't it?

Edited by vodkafan

Welcome to the Forum!

Me too! I'm desperately awaiting the last book in the Inheritance Cycle as we speak ;)

Oh I'm very excited as well! Any chance you know when it will be released? Unfortunately, it seems to take Paolini forever to finish his books. :irked: And I thought it'd take a shorter while now, since he'd already finished a lot of the 4th one when he decided he'd split the third into two parts... It's already been too long.