Oldest book in your collection?

Lumo

I bought my ex all 4 of the Bottersnikes and Gumbles book because he remembered them from his childhood. I tracked them all down on ebay too. I can't remember what editions they were though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oldest book in my collection is our Family Bible, published in 1807. It's in Welsh, so is actually entitled "Y Bibl Sanctaidd." It's a biggie, being some 9cms thick (no page numbers), and has an inscription from my great-great-great grandfather to his wife - her birthday present (but doesn't say which one!).

Aside from that, it's a first edition of Nansen's 2-volume "Furthest North", published in 1897.

• 2 weeks later...

I collected from my parents house a few months back, a large, beautifully illustrated book on the life of Jesus, that according to the inscription on the inside cover was given away as first prize in a sunday school competition in 1893.

The oldest in my collection is the complete works of William Shakespeare, the Globe Edition from 1895. I found it in a lovely second hand book shop in Bognor for

Edited by BookJumper
added punctuation and capitals.

• 1 month later...

...that was published in July 1936, two months after the first edition. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it was a surprise find at a library book sale and it cost one dollar. Also, it's apparently worth nothing which I find kind of nice; there's no temptation to sell and painfully part with it and it's good for sentiment and reading purposes only.

Then, at another library I got a first American edition of Dorothy Sayers' Busman's Honeymoon. Again, no monetary worth and it cost only a dollar but great for sentimental value!

Finally, I found a Greek reader from 1859 that had had a very hard life by the looks of it. I got it mainly, I think, because of the inscription by a previous owner/user whom I later googled and found out a bit about. Is it okay to link to my blog where I wrote about the experience? I hope so. If not, I don't mind if the administrators here want to delete my link. It's just so appropos to this topic!

old 1859 Greek reader history http://goodbooksbrightside.blogspot.com/2009/05/library-book-sale-treasures-and-no.html

Great topic!

I have a first edition set of Winston Churchill's Birth of Britain series. I don't know how old they are.

But my favorite (if not the oldest) is a first edition collection of short stories by Dorothy Parker that my father bought me. It's probably not that old, but I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I bought a bible in an antique shop for £10. I'm not particularly religious but I just liked the look of it. Inside the front cover there is a handwritten message that I can't quite make out. I recognise some of the words but I keep saying I'll go to my local museum to see if anyone there can read it. I think it was published in the 1830's.

I have no idea what book is the oldest, other than my children's books I'd have to say it's either Shakespeare, The Complete Works or To Kill a Mockingbird...both are so good in different ways....!!!!

I have a really old copy of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I can't find a year of publication on the inside but it was found in my Uncle's attic a few years back along with stuff that had belonged to my great grandmother.

Edited by my-sweetheart-is-drunk

• 1 year later...

The three oldest books in my collection are:

Little Kitty's Knitting Needles by Rev. P.B. Power published in 1873

Pocket volume of selections from the poetical works of Robert Browning published 1890

The Rainbow Trail by Zane Grey published in 1915

I will have to check the name, but my mum recently gave me a book from 1906.

I have my great grandfather's collection, about 200 books, dating between the 1850's and the early 1900's. He collected history and poetry mostly.

• 1 month later...

I have a set of 15 leather bound Dickens titles from the 1920s.

I came by them on an online classified website - and bought them a month ago for an unbelievable price - INR 1100 (that would be around 13 GBP or $20)

They originally belonged to an Englishman who lived in India during the British rule - he has inked his name on the first page in beautiful writing.

They have a beautiful solemnity about them.

(I'm yet to read them though!)

Edited by bree

I have a very early Winnie the Pooh. I can't remember how old it is though.

How lovely!

Just thinking about an old copy of Winnie-the-Pooh - possibly loved by generations of children - makes me happy.

Dear old Pooh! :)

I love old books! I'm not sure what the oldest one I have is, as we like collecting old and unusual books, so there's lots of turn of the century ones. I also like using old books for my display tables when I do craft fairs! One book I have comes to mind is the complete work of Shakespeare, from the 1840s - its pages are terribly thin so I'm afraid to touch it much, and it has beauitul illustrations in it! I got it from my mother - I'm not sure where so got it though :)