Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

200 pages into The Crimson Petal and the White.

How are you finding it?

I went to the library today:

Sheila O'Flanagan: Maggie's Story (Quickread)

Lola Jaye: Reaching for the Stars (Quickread)

Aravind Adigo: White Tiger

Isabel Wolff: A Vintage Affair

Jodi Picoult: Songs of the Humpback Whale

And Mum gave me this to borrow:

Victoria Hislop: The Return

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooshie viewpost.gif

200 pages into The Crimson Petal and the White.

How are you finding it?

It took me a wee while to get into it, I found the opening a bit awkward, with the style of writing constantly reminding me that I was only observing the story rather than allowing me to become part of it. But I am enjoying both the story and the development of the characters now. I had thought it would take me a while to read, but I think it will only take me a three or four days due to how much I am enjoying it.

@ Ooshie:- I enjoyed the opening to TCP&TW, I thought it quite novel the way it acknowledged me as a reader snooping around as it's what we all do when reading, snooping in on other peoples conversations, behaviours etc, it got me hook line and sinker.

Glad you are enjoying it tho, I am too. I could be reading it quicker than I am but choosing not too really, once its picked up it is hard to put down and moves along quickly. :(

I read a big chunk of P&P&Z yesterday and will do the same tonight at work. I am captive at this computer for 14 hours as usual so expect a lot of time wasting posts on here.....apologies in advance.:(

@chrysalis_stage - I certainly found the beginning interesting in the way it brought to my attention just what we are doing when we are reading; I had never thought of it like that before. But I did find that it kept jolting me back out of the story every time I was getting into it, which made it seem awkward to me. But I agree, it is very cleverly done. :(

Have read about 90 pages of The Best a Man Can Get so far today and plan on getting in some more this evening. Have come to the conclusion I have definitely not read it before. Am enjoying it as a very quick light hearted read before starting something a bit more challenging.

I pretty much just started "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown (almost 30 pages in), and I'm surprised, frustrated and kind of annoyed by how slow it is! I wasn't expecting that at all. I've heard such good things about it, and I may end up loving the book, but the beginning ... AARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Oh dear, I thought the book startted okay, but the middle is literary sludge.....

I never got further than say, 100 pages. I hated almost every page of it. Boring, annoying and just not interesting me at all. I too, had heard good things about it, people couldn't put it down etc.. well not me.

Same for me. I put it down after about 80 pages or something because it was so boring. And after having seen the film I'm kind of glad I didn't read it through.

So far I've read a few pages of "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco.

Any good? I seem to hear a lot of bad stuff on here about how he writes and how pretentious he is but I have Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose somewhere on my shelves waiting to be read.

Any good? I seem to hear a lot of bad stuff on here about how he writes and how pretentious he is but I have Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose somewhere on my shelves waiting to be read.

I've only read very few pages of "Foucault's Pendulum" so I can't say yet but I LOVED The Name of the Rose, read it some years back. It's one of the reasons why I'm finally reading Foucault's Pendulum now :(