Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

I did some research on Mount St Helens from my own encyclopedia of the world and also some old college geography study notes on tectonics and volcanics and a little on orogenesis (mountains). Was really fun :) Read a couple chapter of Prisoner of Azkaban too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some research on Mount St Helens from my own encyclopedia of the world and also some old college geography study notes on tectonics and volcanics and a little on orogenesis (mountains). Was really fun :) Read a couple chapter of Prisoner of Azkaban too.

I didn't realize you had an interest in Mt. St. Helens. My dad lived out there when it blew in 1980 and still has a few coffee cans full of ash. :D Volcanos and tectonics are a very interesting subject to read on.

He has some ash from St Helens??? *jealous* That's such a cool story. I would totally borrow some ash from there :)

Man, I freaking love volcanoes, I could read about them for hours. I studied them a lot in my college course and always got sad when we had to move on. I love our planet, itself, so naturally I am fascinated by the processes and things that go on. I adore Lanzarote because of the bizarreness of it's appearance with all the lava fields and dormant volcanic peaks.

I also read a few pages of The Book Thief earlier (yeah yeah i'm kinda on topic :D)

I've read a few chapters of Childhood's End. I can't wait to see where the story will go. :)

I've also read a few more pages of The Editor's Companion. I've been reading this for ages now, but as it's non-fiction it's not really something I can sit down and read in one go. I'm finding it very informative though.

I've just been reading a bit more of Heresy tonight. It is rare when a book just blows me away, but this one does. It takes only a few words for the author to pull you in and take full control of your emotions, anger and anticipation mostly, and then throw a little twist in that will make you laugh and want to high five the main character. This is one of the best books of 2010, surely.

I'm about halfway through the first section of 'Your Face tomorrow: Fever and spear' by Marais. This is engrossing writing, as well as being thought provoking. Also ordered my copy of 'Heresy' by S J Parris. So just hope those nice people at amazon send it my way soon;)

... and started reading If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell.

:) What an appropriate name for his book! BF made me watch Burn Notice when I was staying at his place, he went on and on about Campbell's acting skills and his chin! I should buy that book for him...

Still reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can't wait to finish it and see how it ends.

Have been away with some friends for a long bank holiday weekend in France. Managed to get a little bit of reading done and finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian and am about 70 pages into The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Still have nearly two weeks off from work though so expect to get much more reading done.

Edited by tunn300

Also ordered my copy of 'Heresy' by S J Parris. So just hope those nice people at amazon send it my way soon;)

Yay! :boogie:I can't wait to see what you think of Heresy. It's been one of the best books I've read in a long time. :)

I've read a few chapters of Childhood's End. I can't wait to see where the story will go. :D

I've also read a few more pages of The Editor's Companion. I've been reading this for ages now, but as it's non-fiction it's not really something I can sit down and read in one go. I'm finding it very informative though.

I remember reading Childhood's End when I was younger and haven't been able to find the book anywhere since. It is reeeaaallly good :)

Thanks Muggle! I have a lot of books by Arthur C Clarke and I bought this one solely because I'd read so many good reviews about it. It's very good so far and I'm really looking to reading the rest.

My ex lent me Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus to read. I think he's trying to tell me something. :)

I'm currently watching the First Tuesday Book Club on TV. Markus Zusak and Sarah Waters are guests tonight and they're reviewing Ian McEwan's Solar (sounds interesting) and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and went to the library and borrowed the next book in the series. There were no books in Finnish or English so I had to get the Swedish one. It's going to take me a while to finish :)

Yesterday about 80 pages of Day of the Triffids, love it. Today about 10 more so far, won't be long now or I'll have finished it. :D

I re-read that last year (having first read it about 25 years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it. ;)

I remember reading Childhood's End when I was younger and haven't been able to find the book anywhere since. It is reeeaaallly good

It's available on Amazon. :)

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and went to the library and borrowed the next book in the series. There were no books in Finnish or English so I had to get the Swedish one. It's going to take me a while to finish :)

Wow - I'm seriously impressed! 001notworthy.gif

I have about 100 pages of The Little Stranger to go - I'm really enjoying it! :D

Thanks Janet :) Glad to hear you're enjoying The Little Stranger, I haven't read it myself yet but it's on my wishlist. I want to read anything Waters writes, I was so impressed with Fingersmith.

I started and finished reading Lottapa tietenkin by Merri Vik. Vik's Lotta-series is one of my favorites from my childhood/teenage years, a very nostalgic read :D

I finished The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry :D a very good story.

I have had that book sitting by my bed to read for months, great to know it's a good one!

I'm half way through The Gate House by Nelson DeMille, and my copy of the Crimson Petal and the White arrived today :)