Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

Oooo what did you think of it? I loved that book. I read it years ago. I have the next one The apprentice to read yet. I have it on my TBR pile, but I might re read The Surgeon. Do you have the next one Frankie?

I have to say I was a bit disappointed. With all the hype on the book from so many people (on the forum and off the forum as well) I expected it to be really ace, but it was just average. I think I've also been reading so many really amazing thrillers for so long that my standards are really high these days (c'mon, The Surgeon was absolutely nothing compared to Jeffery Deaver's novels, right??) :D

I have to say that

the novel didn't have any real twists, everything was pretty much something I expected to happen. No major twist with a person close to the main character turning out to be something else entirely or something like that.

Having said this, now I know what to expect and what not to expect from Gerritsen, so I think I'll get along better with the next novel :smile2: I do intend to read the series since I've bought most of the novels already!! :smile2: I've got The Sinner, Body Double, Vanish and The Mephisto Club and I've also got a novel called Life Support, is that from a different series? Of course I still need The Apprentice before I can move on.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame you didn't enjoy the surgeon as much as others Frankie, it's been at least 4 years since I read it and it was one of my first crime/medical thrillers at the the time and I loved it. I've not tried any of Jeffery Deaver's books, which one would you recommend?

I read more of TC&TW - Faber last night, really enjoying this book I must say and I read more of The Road - McCarthy at work this morning during my break, I plan on continuing with both today, which ever takes my fancy at the time. :D

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Chrysalis_stage: If this had been one of my first crime/medical thrillers I'm sure that I would've enjoyed it more :D I would definitely recommend reading Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme -series, starting with The Bone Collector! His books blow my mind. There are some people on the forum who've also read his stand alone novels and have enjoyed them. Check out the Jeffery Deaver thread if you want to know more :smile2:

Chrysalis_stage: If this had been one of my first crime/medical thrillers I'm sure that I would've enjoyed it more :smile2: I would definitely recommend reading Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme -series, starting with The Bone Collector! His books blow my mind. There are some people on the forum who've also read his stand alone novels and have enjoyed them. Check out the Jeffery Deaver thread if you want to know more :blush:

:D Oh yes, definitely. Yes, yes! :smile2:

Well I started both Sense and Sensibility and Umberto Eco's In the Name of the Rose today, was in need for another book to read but couln't choose.. think I'll continue with in the Name of the Rose though, felt like the best one to read for now. Might pick up another fluff book alongside it though.. dunno which one yet. :D

I've now finished Balthazar Jones and the Tower of London Zoo by Julia Stuart. I absolutely loved it. It's really quirky but it's a great read, and full of interesting facts too.

I'm now going to start a book by one of my favourite authors - Maureen Lee. This one is The Leaving of Liverpool.

I finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Enjoyable book. Not sure what I'll read next.

I really enjoyed this book too Kate :lurker:

I've read about a third of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book.

In bed I finished The Complete Winnie the Pooh Collection by A. A. Milne. What lovely stories. Got the poems to come next :lurker: Think I'm going to read a review book next: When Rooks Speak of Love by Hilary Dixon

I've now finished Balthazar Jones and the Tower of London Zoo by Julia Stuart. I absolutely loved it. It's really quirky but it's a great read, and full of interesting facts too.

I've just read the 'blurb' on Amazon and it certainly sounds quirky! :lurker:

Up to about page 100 of The Little Stranger now. I'm not sure where it's heading but the writing style is lovely - it just sort of slips along. :yahoo:

I read about 60 pages of The Well of Lost Plots today, which is odd because I don't feel as though I've read much at all. It's really a very good book, although I still find that it jumps around a bit. One scene seems to follow directly on from the previous scene, in terms of time passing, that is, but then I find out that several days have passed. I'm not sure if this is just me. Oh well, it's only a minor complaint and it isn't impairing my enjoyment of the book too much at all.

I've also managed about 30 pages of The Editor's Companion.

I'm hoping to finish both books in the next couple of days. I already have a stack of books next to me that I want to read next. :lurker:

Read ten pages in total last night... Not good.

BUT!!!!! I got through the copy I bought of ebay of Rocky Horror, From Concept to cult by Scott Michaels and David Evans.

If this does not bring my mojo back, nothing will.

I read a chapter of Kafka last night (as far as reading for fun goes). So far I've read about a 100 pages and am now convinced it will take me an entire century to finish it. Unless I organize my time better. *Sigh*