Authors:Can you really love one book and really hate another

corina

Yes, i found it a real struggle to finish Hearts in Atlantis, and i was thinking about the end less than a quarter of the way into the book which is never a good thing. In my opinion, since his accident in 1999, the pace of his books since has been noticeably slower. Sometimes in a bad way, as in the laborious From a Buick 8, and other times its not so bad, as in Cell or Duma Key-these books are slow but there is lots of character development so its not that noticeable. Then of course Under The Dome proved that King has still got it, despite the weak ending.

Hes a real mixed bag of tricks...:D

• 2 weeks later...

My example is Hermann Hesse. Well, it's an author you have to read going to school in Germany.

The first one I had to read was Siddhartha and I really loved this book! So I thought I try some other books. But I soon gave up, I found them really boring.

2 years later I had to read another book from him in school, Steppenwolf. And Steppenwolf is a book I really hate. Most of my class mates found it interesting, they loved it, it was the first book read in school they really liked. But I find it really terrible. It is strange, there is this idiot taking drugs, thinking nonsense and wanting to commit suicide.

So, I really love Siddharta, wonderful book, I can read it again and again. But I surely won't touch the Steppenwolf again.

I've only read The Glass Bead Game by Hesse. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn't the easiest of reads. I have Steppenwolf on my TBR pile; hopefully I'll have a different opinion of it than you did!

Sebastian Faulkes is a classic love it/hate it for me. Absolutely love Birdsong and Human Traces and have read more than once. Charlotte Gray I have tried a few times but give up every time as it is sooo dull, also couldn't get Engleby but gave up quicker!

• 10 months later...

Bryce Courtenay

I started with April Fools Day, which was pretty bad, but The Power of One came highly recomended, and has since become one of my fave books. Then I tried Whitehorn which is essentially the former, but with a different character name. I have never read 2 books more similar by the same author! Now I'm affriad to read anymore Bryce Courtenay, even the sequel to Power of One, if they all stick to this formula.

Should have stopped at One I guess

Dean Koontz does this to me. I absolutely love some of his stuff, find others boring (which is strange as, these days, he tends to re-write the same story over & over, with differently named charactors)

Stephen King has gone off the boil for me. Yes, Under the dome was a return a form (weak ending excepted), but it's a old story! He first had the idea around the same time as The Stand.

I also think sometimes you get to a point with a writer where the scales fall from your eyes, and what you previously thought off as good, now looks like rubbish. Tom Clancy did this for me, about halfway through The Bear & the Dragon. I've never read anything else by him since

Ian

I'm seriously considering giving away my copy of Little Friend by Donna Tartt :rolleyes: Life's way too short to read it, especially knowing it's not going to be any good.

I was given The Secret History and The Little Friend by a friend who even said at the time that the latter wasn't as good. I've since read so many poor reviews that I gave away my copy a while ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Philippa Gregory

I loved most of the Tudor books, A Respectable Trade, Wise Woman and The Little House but disliked (Hate is too strong in this case) The Queens Fool and I had trouble getting stuck into Wideacre and The White Queen. Currently reading the Red Queen which I was enjoying but now seem to be stuck half way.

I am taking it as a sign that she is a good writer for her style to vary so much its just a shame that I don't enjoy them all as much as I do my favourites.

Edited by Easy Reader

I'm seriously considering giving away my copy of Little Friend by Donna Tartt :rolleyes: Life's way too short to read it, especially knowing it's not going to be any good.

I was given The Secret History and The Little Friend by a friend who even said at the time that the latter wasn't as good. I've since read so many poor reviews that I gave away my copy a while ago.

I've read the same but whilst I was reading 'The Secret History' .. I told a friend how much I was enjoying it and she e.mailed me the following ....

I have also read 'The Secret History' and really liked it - I liked her second book better (I think it's called The Little Friend). They are not at all similar, I think she wrote the second one ten years later.

I trust her opinion and so .. despite the multitude of terrible reviews .. it's kept it's place on my bookshelf and I will dive into it eventually.

I loved Liz Jensen's 'Ark Baby' but hated 'The Rapture' with a vengeance ... it topped my hated reads list last year easily. It hasn't stopped me buying more of her books though, I'm hoping they will be more like the former than the latter.

I trust her opinion and so .. despite the multitude of terrible reviews .. it's kept it's place on my bookshelf and I will dive into it eventually.

I applaud your courage, open-mindedness and resilience, it's a mighty fat book as you know! :smile2: I'm very much looking forward to hearing how you weather it :giggle:

I applaud your courage, open-mindedness and resilience, it's a mighty fat book as you know! :smile2: I'm very much looking forward to hearing how you weather it :giggle:

It stands a pretty poor chance tbh Frankie :D .. you know what it's like .. all books have to fight for their chance to be next on the list and this one has been skulking around looking fat, daunting and unappealing for a while now. It's not gone to the charity shop though .. and sooner or later I'll run out of choices.

I feel a bit sorry for it though because, despite what my friend said, I already think it's going to be a disappointment. It's got 'abandoned book' written all over it.

For me it's the prolific horror writers that are terrible for this. Specifically Stephen King, James Herbert and Dean Koontz.

Yes exactly this, its is bizarre how some are fantastic and then some are just so flat. Stephen King is the one I hear most though, a lot of people love his older books but not so keen on his newer offerings yet I must admit I do like most of his stuff

I've read the same but whilst I was reading 'The Secret History' .. I told a friend how much I was enjoying it and she e.mailed me the following ....

I have also read 'The Secret History' and really liked it - I liked her second book better (I think it's called The Little Friend). They are not at all similar, I think she wrote the second one ten years later.

I loved Liz Jensen's 'Ark Baby' but hated 'The Rapture' with a vengeance ... it topped my hated reads list last year easily. It hasn't stopped me buying more of her books though, I'm hoping they will be more like the former than the latter.

I really enjoyed The Little Friend as well Poppy & can't really understand why people dislike it so much, I thought Harriet was a fantastic character & there are some fantastic scenes in the book so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you eventually get round to reading it :)