Impressive acting renditions

Jim Mappelle

Dont know if this has been covered before, (apologies if it has), but I just thought I'd like to ask if anyone has been kind of 'bowled over' by an actors rendition of a book character?

I watched Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince last night for the 2nd time & was really inpressed with 'Jim Broadbents' rendition of the character Horace Slughorn. He was exactly as I envisaged when reading the book.

Similarly 'Andy Serkis' as Gollum in LOR.

Anyone else that springs to mind with yourselves?

Regards,

Jim.

Jim Broadbent is brilliant as Slughorn.

Robson Green as Val MacDermid's Tony Hill in her 6 (to date) Hill / Malone Series that became 'Wire In The Blood'. Hermione Norris doesn't do a bad job as Carol, but Robson IS Tony Hill.

Russell Crowe as Bud White, Guy Pearce as Ed Exley and Kevin Spacey as Jack Vincennes, all in LA Confidential. I'd never heard of Russell Crowe before then, and I don't think he's ever been that good since. They all did the characters great service.

Also have to mention Robert Shaw in Jaws. He got Quint almost spot on, I think.

I watched Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince last night for the 2nd time & was really inpressed with 'Jim Broadbents' rendition of the character Horace Slughorn. He was exactly as I envisaged when reading the book.

Similarly 'Andy Serkis' as Gollum in LOR.

Well, can't say for sure because I haven't read the book in a while, but isn't Slughorn supposed to be a lot bigger? In the fat department I mean, you know, I thought he was supposed to be a big guy. Also, in the film, after he's

exposed as being that sofa, he says "the stuffing comes naturally" or that he has the stuffing myself..

while the actor's not fat. His behavious, yes, he's brilliant as Slughorn, but I think they kinda went off on how he was supposed to look. Might be mistaken, have to look it up.

Haven't read LotR really, just bits. But Andy Serkis is brilliant as Gollum. :D

And I HATED Tom Cruise as Lestat. Or well, now I do, then I thought he was brilliant. But now I have read the books, and no. :D

I love Gary Sinise as Stu Redman in The Stand. :D

Robert Carlyle as Welsh's monstrous Begbie in Trainspotting.

Antony Hopkins did a superb job as Hannibal Lecter.

Christian Bale in American psycho.

I don't always think its a problem with the actors abilities, they are just miscast.

When I think about how many novels are adapted into screenplays, this could be a very long thread. :D

The Princess Bride - the whole cast are superb and the film itself is a very faithful adaptation that does the book credit. In particular, Mandy Patinkin is wonderful as Inigo Montoya, who suits the role down to the ground. And of course, Carey Elwes as Wetley is marvellous too *swoon*. Swashbuckling at its very best. :D

Robert Carlyle as Welsh's monstrous Begbie in Trainspotting.
I love Mr Carlyle in anything!

Antony Hopkins did a superb job as Hannibal Lecter.

Although I love his Lecter, I think Brian Cox should take the crown ~ 'Manhunter' captures his intelligence and charm in a way that the later films didn't quite achieve.

Although I love his Lecter, I think Brian Cox should take the crown ~ 'Manhunter' captures his intelligence and charm in a way that the later films didn't quite achieve.

I'm also listening to 'The Cutting Room', converted to mp3; narrated superbly by Robert Carlyle. Well worth getting hold of.

Jim.

The Princess Bride - the whole cast are superb and the film itself is a very faithful adaptation that does the book credit. In particular, Mandy Patinkin is wonderful as Inigo Montoya, who suits the role down to the ground. And of course, Carey Elwes as Wetley is marvellous too *swoon*. Swashbuckling at its very best. :D

mmmmm, Westley! "As you wish" awww :blush:I love the Princess Bride, what a brilliant film!

You're absolutely right Chrissy. It's been a long time since I watched it, I'd forgotten how good he was.

Gary Oldman as the bent New York cop in Leon.

I like Paddy Considine in most things.

Coming back to Trainspotting I loved Ewan Bremner as spud just as I imagined him from the book.

Gary Oldman..Leon, yep, remember that now, & in Harry Potter as Sirius Black..

Top actor..

Jim

Wow I didn't know that Princess Bride and Leon were books before movies.

As a child I loved my Roald Dahl and the BFG film was like watching the book brought to life, so beautiful

For Comics, Robert Downy Jr. is spot-on Tony Stark in the Iron Man movies, he even looks like Stark!

For Novels, Narrator in Fight Club captured Chuck Pahlahniuk's voice very well. This might be because of both Norton and the film scrip though.