The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

Nollaig

@Steve: Sorry I didn't reply yet, I thought I had. Hah! Glad you enjoyed it though.

ETA:

I'm delighted Ciani is booted at the end of book one I didn't like her. Also, the quote at the end by Gerald about joining Damien on the trip, about sinking 'this miserable crate to the bottom of the ocean and swimming home if I have to!' I LOVE that :blush:

@Raven: Oh it has flaws, but I don't know anything about "The Magicians Guild" so I don't know what you're referring to. I also imagine you're hard to impress, so you'll probably find a LOT wrong with it.

Edited by Nollaig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Steve: Sorry I didn't reply yet, I thought I had. Hah! Glad you enjoyed it though.

ETA:

I'm delighted Ciani is booted at the end of book one I didn't like her. Also, the quote at the end by Gerald about joining Damien on the trip, about sinking 'this miserable crate to the bottom of the ocean and swimming home if I have to!' I LOVE that :tong:

It's ok. It's not as if I've cried myself to sleep each night waiting for a reply :blush:

True. As a matter of fact by the time they were at the docks I had kind of forgotten about Ciani already. I felt sorry for Damien but I wasn't fussed at all that she wouldn't be coming along. I wonder if Friedman would have kept her if it wouldn't have meant having two adepts along. Even though they are very different at what they do.

I love that line. Was such a nice way to end the book.

I may start reading the second one along with the book I'm reading at the moment.

Yeah I felt sorry for Damien too, but to be honest I expected it quite early on. She is just too open to too many things that he can't be because of his faith. I love that she stayed with the Rakh though I don't care much about her personally. It's nice that someone did.

The second book is considered by many to be the best in the trilogy. And it does have some fantastic moments. :blush:

I felt sorry for the cave Rakh. They're going to be screwed now the earthquakes are back!

That's kind of a shame about the second book being the best. Makes me look forward to it more but I wish the trilogy would finish on a high. Well maybe the end is good but it would be nice...oh you know what I mean!

Work in eight hours. Crud.

Personally, I LOVED book three. But it is, metaphorically, on a whole other planet, as they say. It's like, 'just how crazy can I make this story?' So some people love it, some hate it, most agree it was ultimately a great ending.

Oooh interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how I find it.

Also looking forward to hearing your possible criticisms Raven and seeing how much I agree.

Just started When True Night Falls. After half a week of not reading her stuff I forgot how quickly she can suck you in with her writng. I haven't even finished the Prologue.

Edit:

Just finished the Prologue (I'm busy tonight ok!) I wonder if Ian will be back. If he'll be the big bad in this story. But don't tell me! Not even a hint!

Edited by Steeeeve

I also imagine you're hard to impress, so you'll probably find a LOT wrong with it.

Not hard to impress, demanding is probably more apt.

I'm not the fastest reader in the world, so I don't like wasting my time on books that are poorly written or badly plotted.

Having decided to give the fantasy genre a try last year I "gone picked a bad un" with regard to The Magicians' Guild, and I'm not keen on a repeat.

So far, that doesn't look to be the case, but there are some minor things that are niggling me, and I'm beginning to wonder whether fantasy is a genre worth spending a lot of time on.

Either way, I'm not giving up just yet, Black Sun Rising has piqued my interest and I shall read further (I also have a couple of other fantasy novels lined up to try after it as well).

Ahhh okay. Well I really, REALLY hope you enjoy it and that the good sides win out over the niggly bits :smile2: Though like you say, it might just be that for you Fantasy isn't a genre worth reading.

Just got past page 100 of When True Night Falls.

They've arrived at the Eastern port and are waiting to get off the ship. Gerald's already killed a group of people in a stylish fashion. Also I loved the bit where he came out and diverted a storm. Because he's awesome. Espcially after the last book where it mentions how difficult it is to do that to a storm that's already hit.

Oh and The Protector has been eaten by a beast thingy. Don't know what that's about yet. I have a feeling his special daughter will have a bigger role to play.

I am now going to treat myself to an early night. If you still see me on here in thirty minutes you have my permission to punch me in the face.

It was when he goes ashore before their small ship meets the big ship (names are not my strong point). There's a girl chained to a rock to lure in the beasties and a bunch of Church warriors waiting to kill whatever turns up. Unfortunately for all of them Gerald turns up and mullers them all.

Just about on the last 100 pages of When True Night Falls.

Waiting to see if Gerald is actually double-crossing them or if he's double-double-crossing the Undying Prince. The thing is Gerald has said before if he promises to do something he's kind of honourbound to do it. That's the last human trait he has going for him. So surey he can't cheat? But he has to double-cross one of them.

Also it's been shown the Prince doesn't keep to his promises so Gerald must know that.

The gang have just been attacked by the trees, found shelter on a granite island and are now about to face a pack of hungry beasties.

About 50 pages left and

Gerald's just given Damien the coldfire knife. I'm so excited!!!

I was absolutely gutted when Hesseth died. Because I thought Gerald was maybe still on their side I was hoping it was one of his illusions so that Hesseth could come back as a surprise or something. Now I've written that down it sounds quite stupid. Also I know Jenseny can't be fooled by that stuff. Poor Hesseth.

It really is the kinda book where you want to stop every 50 pages to chatter isn't it?! :D

I was gutted when Hesseth died too, I actually cried. SO CLOSE, and yet so far, as they say. I couldn't read on for a while after that.

It's a great book isn't it? One of my favourite bits was

in that forest with the 'children' - really creepy stuff!

Just finished it. What to say. I loved it. Although no surprise there.

Calesta is so annoying! Such a whiney git at the end. Shame about Jenseny. Good though. Not because I didn't like her but because she wasn't kept just because she was likeable if you know what I mean. It's good that Friedman isn't scared of getting rid of important or well liked characters if the story calls for it. Plus it means each book is fresh.

So just the final part to go now. I think it's the shortest of the three.

The third is the shortest and the least 'epic' in an adventuring sense, it's fairly localized but it's got some wonderful twists and focuses on the culmination and tying up of every single thread there is left

:D Enjoy!

I don't mind that so much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it all, but I often start to get fidgety in my mind when characters are just travelling and travelling or doing the same thing over and over. It's why I got bored of The Historian and I know people criticise Lord of the Rings for it.

I don't mind it being a bit more focused. Maybe Friedman herself realised that enough travelling had been done in the other books.

I wonder if his son comes back.

One thing I did notice, in my copy at least, was a lot of spelling or grammatical errors. Ok maybe not a lot. Ten or so? But the proof reading seemed to be pretty lame.

Maybe not even ten. I'm just grabbing a number out of the air.

I did notice slight issues with editing alright when I was reading, but my copies are different to yours (I'd imagine, unless you imported yours from America), so I don't know what that's about. Didn't bother me too much.

I'm definitely gullible. Everytime anything has happened in the first two books, you've suspected various possibilities, usually also including the correct one. I fell for EVERYTHING! Ah well, more surprises for me.

The third book is actually my favourite, despite being the most criticized. Particularly for the ending. Which I also love.

Yup, I have the normal versions with just trees in shadow on the front. I know you like your pretty versions but I often prefer it when the cover doesn't show a character or some aspect of the story because then it gets stuck in my head.

That can be a good thing if you agree with the cover artist but I've seen so many copies of Dorian Gray where the man on the front was an ugly mess when Dorian's supposed to be pretty much the epitome of male beauty.

Having said all that my imagination isn't that great really. Damien is just a muscly man with no specific face so I guess the illustrations can be good.

I'm really looking forward to the third one after the ending of the second.

First I have to fisnish reading teh book it says I'm reading over there <--- then, read some spiel a guy has given me about the New World Order *sigh* and then read the book I bought on evolution so I'm better armed to argue with him. He doesn't believe in it.

No offence to people who don't accept evolution but the fact he doesn't accept it makes me wonder if I should just give up trying to debate with him. I mean I'm reading the New World Order stuff because I like to get both sides of an argument before slagging one side off but the guy's so clearly mental I don't know if I should care about trying to discuss anything with him.

That was massively off topic. It's been bugging me for days though.

As for guessing at what's going to happen and sometimes guessing right that's not much of a talent :lol:. It would be like me accusing every character in an Inspector Morse show of being the killer and then claiming victory when it turned out I was right about one of them.

I'm about 70 pages in now, and I have to say I'm struggling (it didn't help this evening when a character's name changed half-way through a chapter and an explosion in the south-west of the city suddenly moved to the south-east . . .).

Which character was that?

I have to say my concentration probably isn't good enough to notice the whole SE/SW mix up. I think I know the explosion you're talking about and the position isn't too important. If it was some destination they were travelling to it would bother me more since I'd have that map in my mind's eye.

I didn't notice the character name or place change either, but then, I'm oblivious :lol:

@Steve: I have a pretty clear Damien in my head, and I love Gerald as drawn by Michael Whelan so I'm happy to go with it. Plus, it doesn't affect me much - Gerald is described as having light brown hair but I maintain he's platinum blond :D He SHOULD be blond, with his white skin and silver eyes! Much more unusual. :lol: I actually have pretty solid faces for all the characters in my head, which is unusual for me.

Hahaha. I actually kept giving him darker hair in my mind. I know what you mean about blonde being more unusual for his character but what can I say. I like cliches.

I think I should probably slow down and give the characters faces more.

Also for some reason I had been thinking of Karril as reptilian until the end of the second book when he was described as stout and bearded I think. Don't know where I got the reptile thing from. Losing my tiny mind.