Fancy Something Different???

I've tried ostrich, alligator and kangaroo. THe kangaroo burger was delicious, the ostrich sausages were disappointingly tasteless and the alligator steak was bland and had a lot of jelly-ishness around the meat (think about when you do a roast pork joint with crackling - the fatty stuff that's under the crackling - it was like that).

I've never tried springbok (although I'd like to as I've heard it's delicious!) and I would love to try snake some day...

Edited by Kell

I've had ostrich before and found it bland too.

Could it be that because it's not what we're used to we haven't learned how to cook it well yet?

I mean, whatever you put in curry, tastes like curry.

• 1 month later...

Some meats I like haven't been mentioned. Venison for starters.I know it evokes images of Bambi etc, but it is a tasty, rich meat which is lean. This one is likely to cause cries of anguish, but I like veal. It is hard to obtain in this country, but it is versatile as a flavour absorber/carrier.

Some meats I like haven't been mentioned. Venison for starters.

Venison is very good. It is a huge staple over here so we have it quite frequently. Another one that I'm not sure if you get over in the UK much is buffalo meat. It is extremely lean and tasty. It is carried in most grocery stores here and, although a little more expensive, is a good healthier substitute for hamburger.

I love venison as well, although I only have it when my brother is in town for hunting season and decides to share. It's very lean though and tastes yum. I've never had ostrich or crocodile, but I think I can say the only kind of meat I've tried that I didn't like was shark.

I've had buffalo once, Cali, when I was little, and remember it being very tasty.

They serve ostritch burgers at Fudruckers if you're ever in town peacefield :lol:

Buffalo is really good. We have a live heard about 10 miles out of Sioux Falls by Harrisburg. A couple years ago they brought a truck of them in to the factory to be processed and something happened and one escaped from the truck and was walking down 12th street. :D It was funny at the time because I lived about a block from where he was wandering. Eventually they did catch him and get him back to where he was going... Still, was pretty funny at the time.

I've had horse and found it rather tasty.

I had horse when I was on a school trip to Valkenburg. Our first night at the hotel, we were serves these delicious steaks and everyone else was guessing it was pork or beef - I knew exactlywhat it ws because I just went ahead and asked. It didn't put me off and I found it delicious - in fact, it was one of the best steaks I've ever had to date! When the rest of the kids found out it was horse, most of them stopped eating it and looked a bit green around the gills, but it'd take something major to stop me enjoying a good steak - even at 15-y-o, this was true of me!

Some meats I like haven't been mentioned. Venison for starters.I know it evokes images of Bambi etc, but it is a tasty, rich meat which is lean. This one is likely to cause cries of anguish, but I like veal. It is hard to obtain in this country, but it is versatile as a flavour absorber/carrier.

I'm not a fan of traditional British game meats like venison and rabbit. Not a fan of pheasant either (I was tempted to type "phan" there - LOL!). I also don't like lamb or mutton. I've never tried veal, but I've heard great things about it.

I would try most things out. I don't mind if the animal is cute either. I would eat Bambi. I would also try Rose Veal although I bet it's expensive.

Surprisingly it's less expensive than beef. There's a butcher in Cardiff market that sells it, and a reasonable size escalope costs about

I would try a lot of meats. I actually eat horse meat every now and then, it's easily available here and I like it lots. :D Ostrich you can get here lots too, but i have never heard of some of the other. But I'd try it, I'll try most things (not everything!!!) once. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I was going to mention rose veal too - it's sold at a lot of farmers' markets. It's a far better option than ignoring the fact male dairy calves are born, it's wonderful eating, tender but flavourful, like the most tender steak.

I have no objection to odd meats, I love ostrich sausages (we have them so often they're known as sostriches here), though like any dark meat sausages they benefit from a rich, fatty sauce or casserole. I do wonder about the ethics of their sourcing though, particularly some of the rarer animals.

I couldn't eat any of those things. I have a problem as it is knowing where my meat comes from and I have to disassociate what's on my plate with the lovely animals running around. Very soft, I know but it seems to be getting worse as I get older.

I tried being vegetarian but found I ate even less and was living off potatoes and pasta. :lol: