Books to Charity

rune

I often have to have a clear out of books because of lack of space. Ive only room for 3 books shelves and one box for books :lol:

So every year i have the hard choice to give away books to charity that i feel ive read enough times over

Do others give books to charity alot due to lack of space? And how do you choose which books to let go :friends0:

I actually work for a charity bookshop (sometimes) but I can't give any of my books away. I'll always find space for them.

I know as soon as I give one away I'll feel like reading it. Even if it's something I hate I'll hear someone talking about it and something I missed and feel like I should have another go at it.

Basically I just think up lame excuses for keeping them.

I was literally having this exact thought this afternoon. I have about 40 books that are doing nothiing more than collecting dust that I have been thinking about giving away; either to my Library or to the local cancer charity that apparently collect donations on a regular basis from around my parents area.

All I need is someone to carry them:mrgreen:

I'm willing to let all mine go as I get my books these days from the library. Though now I think of it I will probably keep The Stand & The Millenium Trilogy books.

If I've enjoyed a book I tend to keep it otherwise I pass them on to my mum, she then passes onto her neighbour etc...

I do give a lot to the charity shop near my house although when I drop them off I tend to have a look a what they've got in and end up buying more!

I sell a lot of mine on Green Metropolis (which donates 5p from every sale to The Woodland Trust and replants trees), and if they've been listed there for a long time with no takers I register them on BookCrossing.com and drop some off at charity shops and others at a Book Crossing spot in town.

Yes, every few years i have a complete clear out of the books that i know i will not read again and give them to the local charity shop, im not one of these people who needs to hoard absolutely every single piece of literature i read so the way i see it, i may as well give something back to people who may very well love the books i no longer want.

Me and my mum have had a spring clean this weekend and have come up with many items including books we are planning on taking to the charity shops by us, the main one being RSPCA.

I just counted all the books we no longer want or have never read and do not wish to read ever, including old text books and it amounts to 84 books that we need to haul to the charity shop next week. That doesn't include 4-6 books of mine which I am giving to one of my mums friend.

It sounds like alot but it mostly came from my mum's shelves, (alot of Danielle Steel which my mum cannot remember how she aquired and has never read.) I find it very hard to part with books, I probably parted with around 20.

I know that when we do hand over the books I won't be able to resist having a look at what they already have and come out of the shop with one or two books

My boyfriend and I have gone through our books twice, and we gave all of them away to charity, either Goodwill or a children's literacy program. I think, in all, we've given away about 300 books.

I'm a compulsive collector and a firm believer in the art of re-reading, so I will not give away books I've enjoyed in case I want to read them again a decade or two from now; however space being what it is, I do need to have the occasional sort-out.

The last batch of books I took to Oxfam comprised of four Tesco bagfuls of books I couldn't finish / knew I would never read agin / wanted to buy again in better condition or nicer edition.

Like a lot of people here, I used to come back with extra books from the charity shop; however I've now mostly stopped, as their habit of pencilling in prices is something I find abhorrent.

I'm rapidly running out of space and I've got the terrible task of turning 10 shelves into 4.

Hardbacks go to my local library, paperbacks go to the charity shop. But my favourite reads get passed about between family and friends usually.

You know, I have quite a few books that were bad buys, that I don't read or have another copy of (usually when at first I have the dutch one, then when my english approved I bought the original english) but I can't even begin to think about giving them away. I don't have that many books, but even if I know I am never going to read them again, I can't give them away. :lol: I have no idea why, I just can't.

I'm the same Univerze, I just cannot give books away! I did sell a couple on Green Met but then decided I wanted to read them so re-bought them :shakeshead: I've got quite a few books that I am unlikely to read, but just want to hang onto them in case :lol:

Call me stingy but I'd rather swap my unwanted books for new ones - simply because I can't afford to be buying books and giving them away. That said, I very rarely buy a book I don't end up wanting to keep for reread value ANYWAY. In the case of some books, if I knew someone was looking for them I'd give them away as presents.

I give some books away to charity, some I sell as used, some gets passed around family and some I swap in a bookswap. I hate dusting shelves and mine are already full. I like sharing my reading joy around. I'm not a collector, I'll read paperbacks, used books, libraries' books and they can be in any condition. It's the contents I'm mostly interested in. When I want to re-read a book there's the library for that. There are some books I'll keep for a while like study text books but nothing is for absolute keeps.

Edited by Kreader

I took a few bags of books and comics to a charity book fair last year and I'll probably be taking some more this year.

I've gotten a little better at departing with books recently, although I will probably try to sell some of them, at least to get credit from a secondhand bookshop, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to keep buying books. :lol:

I've got about 30 books ready to go to charity, mainly books I'm never going to read again. My sister goes to the local high street on a Saturday and I was going to get her to take them to our favourite charity shop there. But I keep forgeting and it's starting to wind OH up because they've been there for about 3 weeks. :smile2:

I used to take all the books I knew I wasn't going to read or reread to the local charityshop but nowadays I'm taking them to the library's free book trolley instead, because I take books from that trolley myself and want to contribute to it as well. Unfortunately that's not money towards charity but at least it promotes sharing books.

I always keep my books as I like to collect them. I'll lend them to my Mam and my 4 Twilight books are doing the rounds through my circle of friends but generally I keep them.

I buy books from charity shops but couldn't give them away unfortunately :smile2:

I have some books that I plan to donate to this hospital when I have the chance. I have them registered on Bookmooch but since it seems nobody's interested in them, I thought someone might like to have something to read here. I was certainly pleased to find reading material here.