Your Monthly Book Spend

tunn300

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't join the library. I'd take their books home and keep them.

I don't sacrifice food to the point of starvation, but I make deals with myself - 'buy this book, don't buy coke/chocolate/dessert/etc' and I end up eating a bit better :friends0:

Or more often, it's clothes vs. books. Today Waterstones didn't have a book I wanted, so I came home with two new sundresses :D

I can't join the library. I'd take their books home and keep them.

:friends0: This reminds of the book I recently finished, called Cloudstreet. A young girl from a very poor family borrows Jane Eyre from the library, and she loves it so much she decides to keep it. She's eventually made to return it though :D

• 9 months later...

This thread is slightly worrying. If I answer honestly, then I run the risk of revealing the extent of my addiction love of books, though refusing to acknowledge the existence of this thread would be ample ammunition for people to cite denial on my part. Hmm... So many things to consider. Do I adjust down, so that it seems a normal expenditure? Nah, that wouldn't do anyone any good. *sigh* This means I am forced to check through my receipts and look at my ever-growing collection to work out exactly how far down the rabbit-hole I've gone.

*adds up numbers on fingers*

Roughly a hundred and twenty a month seems about right. Before I get any disapproving looks, I must point out that it is less expensive than a drug addiction.

Haha probably more than I would confess to spending to anyone I actually know...Maybe about £30 a month, including comics and manga which I also read a lot of.

When I was a student I had to be much more frugal and use the library more, and borrow from friends, but now I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to buy quite a few books to supplement what I can get for free.

You can get quite a few good free ones for the kindle, which also keeps costs down but then you do have the initial cost of the device...

Roughly a hundred and twenty a month seems about right. Before I get any disapproving looks, I must point out that it is less expensive than a drug addiction.

I don't think you'll get disapproving looks from anyone here! I agree that buying books is less expensive than what most people spend their money on (booze, clothes etc). And books last longer!

I'm keeping track of all my expenses this year, so I'll have some idea of actual book expenditure by the end of 2011. I wonder if keeping any eye on the figures will actually help me to buy fewer books?

I don't think you'll get disapproving looks from anyone here!

It makes a difference from the conversations I have most of my co-workers... One actually asked why I even buy books in the first place as "they all end up getting made into films anyway. It's quicker just to watch the film." I had to restrain myself in case I did anything he would regret.

It makes a difference from the conversations I have most of my co-workers... One actually asked why I even buy books in the first place as "they all end up getting made into films anyway. It's quicker just to watch the film." I had to restrain myself in case I did anything he would regret.

haha.gif

You showed admirable restraint. I'm not sure I could do the same if someone said that to me!

:thud: I just don't know what to say to that.

I kept a spreadsheet of books that came into my possession in 2010. I acquired 60 new books at a total cost of £117.40! That works out at £9.78 per month.

If I add in 'free books' (BOGOF, etc) I would have paid £131.63. :)

Not a bad average books spend Janet!

This year I spent very little - certainly under a tenner. I don't read many in a year, and as my TBR is more than I can manage and I get lots of books for Christmas and birthday I have tried to be very restrained.

OMG :lol: LOL!!! I think I wouldn't have been able to reply to that, I would've just laughed. That's the most hilarious and absurd quote from real life I've heard this year :haha:

One actually asked why I even buy books in the first place as "they all end up getting made into films anyway. It's quicker just to watch the film." I had to restrain myself in case I did anything he would regret.

I got almost the exact quote from my cousin. She is 14 and quite a poor reader and always very slow at school. After seeing a Harry Potter movie I asked if she would like to borrow the books. She said "why bother when I have already seen the movies. "

A pit in my stomach opened up - I felt so sad. I can't really blame her as obviously reading is very hard for her but never to know the joy of a good book - that is really missing out. :(

I've had people say similar things to me about reading taking much longer than watching a film. I'm fairly tolerant on most occasions (as long as they're not just saying it to wind me up). I normally just explain that for me reading is easier because I can go at my own pace and don't necessarily need 2 hours spare to do it in. I also find it easier to follow a book than a film as I tend to zone out when watching films.

Each to their own I suppose! One thing to do would be to recommend a book that was way better than the film it was made into - I've brought one or two people around this way. But like I say, some people just aren't into it and that's entirely their choice!

I also find it easier to follow a book than a film as I tend to zone out when watching films.

There's also the added benefit of not being subject to a director's vision. It's hard for me to get fully engrossed in a story when I keep picturing the actors who have played the characters, rather than enjoying the characters on their own merits.

My book spend varies quite a bit - sometimes there will be heaps of books I want to buy and I will have a bit of a splurge and other times I can for months without buying anything while I catch up with the TBR pile - I guess the average though would probably be around the £10-12 mark - it really does depend though, as some books cost more than others.

• 2 weeks later...

First post :) On average per annual I'll spend no more than £50 on books, this year already purchasing Labyrinth, New Moon and Fellowship of the Ring for £1 the lot. I'm fortunate to live around a maze of Charity Shops, all of which supply great choices and deals to chose from. Weekends are always great to see whats out and about in town.