Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, can i join in with this too?

I've tried the Special K diet and found it worked but it wasn't easy. I just got too hungry! And as someone already mentioned, it is a quick fix and it's more than likely that you will put weight on when u finish it.

However last year I joined Slimming World (not sure if it exists outside of Britain?) and lost 24 pounds :friends0: It's one of the best diets I've tried because I just love eating and you can literally eat loads allll the time! I highly recommend..

I've put alot of it back since then though (due to the fact that I moved to France and found it difficult to eat healthily - do not understand how French people are so slim considering what they eat and drink!). I'm now living in Spain and yesterday i joined the gym and have been eating healthily so far so hopefully next week when i weigh i'll see some progress!

I have hundreds of diet tips so if anyone needs any advice, please ask :D !

x

I swam 60 lengths in just under an hour last night which I am feeling quite good about :friends0: I must admit that I am aching today....!

I bet you are! Dear me! I'm a terrible swimmer.....maybe half a length before sinking :lol::D

Hi everyone, can i join in with this too?

Of course you can! All diet tips will be welcome :D

Apparently (according to my BF) scientists have created a fat free (or calorie free) chocolate bar which tastes exactly the same as ordinary chocolate. Also 5% fat mayo which tastes like full fat mayo. I think I'd prefer that over the chocolate as I'm a bit of a mayonnaise freak :D Not good!

I've been going to the gym about 3 times a week and pilates once a week so I'm feeling good at the minute and like I'm making progress :D

Ooo pilates, isn't that similar to yoga? I don't know the practice of pilates that much but I like to do yoga regularly, I shall have to do some more snooping on this.

Ooo pilates, isn't that similar to yoga? I don't know the practice of pilates that much but I like to do yoga regularly, I shall have to do some more snooping on this.

It really good. I've never done yoga but my friend says pilates is more intense, which means yoga must be pretty relaxing as pilates isn't hard work at all. However, the next day I can barely move so it must work. It's all about doing gentle movements while concentrating on your inner core of muscles and breathing technique. :lol:

My BFs Dad thought pilates was hair removal! :friends0: He must have thought I was a gorilla to have to have hair removed for an hour every week :D

Ok, I'm home, fed and watered :friends0:

First off, what I did change about my diet was I made myself eat a breakfast every morning. I never used to and that was stopping my metabolism kicking in and by mid-morning I was starving. Now I will have either porridge, Wholemeal toast with peanut butter or poached egg on toast. Mid morning snack will be a handful of raw nuts. You can get these in any supermarket and they contain brazil nuts, cashews, almonds etc.. also have a piece of fruit.

Lunch will be carbs, so a sandwich with a healthy filling, jacket potato with a healthy filling or a pasta dish. Another small snack in the afternoon- raw nuts again, piece of fruit and a baby bel cheese. Try and have protein for dinner. Chicken is good with a huge salad (no fatty dressings though :D) fish, sirloin steak or extra lean mince beef.

You shouldn't feel hungry at all during the day. Foods to buy are:

Extra lean mince beef

Sirloin steak

Tins of tuna

Prawns

Haddock

Venison

Minced Lamb

Egg Whites

Turkey mince

Eggs

Tuna Steaks

Salmon

Porridge Oats

Rye Bread

Wholemeal bread

Brown rice/pasta

Nuts

Extra virgin olive oil

Veg

Garlic

Strawberries

Butternut squash

Onions

Peppers

Mushrooms

Cherries

Blackberries

Raspberries

Kiwis

Dates

Bananas

Apples

Cabbage

Spinach

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Tinned Tomatoes

Grapes

Butter

Milk

Feta Cheese

Cheddar

Babybel light

Balsamic vinegar

Honey

Try not to eat carbs after 3pm and see how you go. Eating the carbs in the evening isn't can turn to fat as we all tend to relax and it won't burn off. Keep a food diary and write down everything you eat. See how you feel at the end of the day. If you feel sluggish or bloated, cut bread, rice or pasta out of your diet and see how you feel the next day. Drink plenty of water. If you drink you may need to cut this out or reduce your intake to 1 or 2 small glasses of wine a week!

The best way to drop body fat is to diet. Try not to reduce your calorie in take by too much as your body will go into starvation mode and cling onto what you have to keep you healthy. You will notice you are not losing weight. Don't think because you workout you can eat what you want as this won't work. Workout 4-5 times a week. Do weights on consecutive days as your body shapes and tones while you rest the muscles.

So, a typical week will look like this;

Monday - Cardio

Tuesday - Weights

Wednesday - Cardio

Thursday - Weights

Friday - Cardio

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Rest

Swap these days around and have a rest day during the week if it suits you!

Squats and lunges are fantastic for getting great shape on your legs and bum. They hurt, but are very effective. Add weight whilst do them to make them more intense. Do 3 sets of 12. You should be struggling on the 12th rep. Once you can do the reps easily, up your weight and so on.

If you workout at home you can use a gym ball and dumbells.

3x 12reps of the following

Chest Press - lie on the ball

Bent over row with dumbbells - This will exercise your back

Shoulder press - Sit on your ball or you can stand up

Bicep curl

Lying tricep extension

Back extension - on ball

This is great for your abs

It will work your core which will give you strong abs. Make sure you keep the stomach contracted even when you breathe out.

Plank and side plank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE

This will work your waist and core. I started these off on 10 seconds and worked the time up from there. You will see that you don't need to do many of these. This is because they are very intense and very effective. You will feels these in your abs and waist the next day :D

Keep a diary of all your workouts to monitor how you are doing.

Try not to overeat at the weekends and this will undo all your hard work.

If this is all new to you, spend the next four to five weeks getting your diet right. A good diet is the most important part of this. Measure yourself first thing in the morning. The muscles are cold then so you'll get a good reading. Measure the following;

Right thigh at largest part

Left thigh at largest part

Chest at your nipple line

Hips at your hip bone level

Waist at belly button level.

Measure again after 4 weeks and note it all down.

If you can or want to, take a picture of yourself in a bikini or underwear and take another picture 4 weeks later and see if you can spot any changes.

If you are pear shaped and all you do is cardio, you will slim down and be smaller, but your body will still be bigger on the legs, bum and thighs. Resistance training will reshape you and tighten everything up!

It's going to be hard work, but it will be worth it. Just keep thinking of how you want to look in that bikini in the summer. :lol:

Well done if you got this far! :D Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.

That is good information, thanks! :friends0:

And yes Nicola, yoga is quite relaxing. I tend to cross into what pilates seems to do too. I always feel it is more for feeling out that connection between mind and body than putting your body through too intense a workout, it's best used in conjunction with other things.

I'm going to add more to my list from that food list, I could do with swapping a couple of things on mine at the moment.

You shouldn't feel hungry at all during the day. Foods to buy are:

Extra lean mince beef

Sirloin steak

Tins of tuna

Prawns

Haddock

Venison

Minced Lamb

Egg Whites

Turkey mince

Eggs

Tuna Steaks

Salmon

Porridge Oats

Rye Bread

Wholemeal bread

Brown rice/pasta

Nuts

Extra virgin olive oil

Veg

Garlic

Strawberries

Butternut squash

Onions

Peppers

Mushrooms

Cherries

Blackberries

Raspberries

Kiwis

Dates

Bananas

Apples

Cabbage

Spinach

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Tinned Tomatoes

Grapes

Butter

Milk

Feta Cheese

Cheddar

Babybel light

Balsamic vinegar

Honey

Thanks for posting this Lisa-Marie! I am definitely going to incorporate some of your tips into my daily routine (says the girl who just woofed down a cheeseburger :friends0:)

My ankle is finally starting to feel like it may be up to the old work-out regime again so I am planning on hitting the gym bright and early tomorrow morning before work so that I can test it and see if it is still too early or not. I really hope not because I can feel my calf and thigh muscles starting to cramp up from lack of use these last couple weeks.

Well done if you got this far! :friends0: Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.

You're an absolute star Lisa-Marie! :D:D

I'm printing this off and pining it to my noticeboard! Thanks!

Oh and I'll ask him where he found that article Rachel....I'm sure it was online somewhere :lol:

Brilliant tips Lisa-Marie :D

I am joining Weight Watchers today. The time has come (and gone, ha!) - the meeting starts at 10:30am in Norwich. I have debated whether to join a gym and do minor exercise but seems a bit pointless when I can do it at home, so we'll see (I can't do much as it'll totally sap my energy).

Brilliant tips Lisa-Marie :D

I am joining Weight Watchers today. The time has come (and gone, ha!) - the meeting starts at 10:30am in Norwich. I have debated whether to join a gym and do minor exercise but seems a bit pointless when I can do it at home, so we'll see (I can't do much as it'll totally sap my energy).

Good luck with WW. My roommate does it and loves it.

I lost another pound this week and am hoping for another. I'm only 3 lbs away from reaching my first big weight goal. My energy is starting level is dragging due to my work schedule and I don't think I can go another morning without Starbucks or something really naughty to get me going when I wake up. 2 days without sugar and cream loaded coffee doesn't sound like a long time, but I can really feel the withdrawl.

I no longer have to wear the boot on my foot so I can start my full regular work out regime again! I'll wait until the weekend so I don't tire myself out, though.

Thank you Abby, and well done on your weight loss :D Slow and steady wins the race, remember :D Is there a way you can have a Starbucks but have lower fat milk without the cream? That way you're getting a caffeine fix but not going overboard.

I lost 3lbs this week so I am pleased. 7lbs so far in a month.

Swam 64 lengths on Monday which equates to a mile. Think that I will stick at this number of lengths and try to improve my time.

I would like to cut down my carbs later on in the day, but I struggle for ideas of what to eat. I am a vegetarian so can't tuck in to some lean meat/fish with veg. Suggestions welcome as I get bored of salad in the evening as I want something more filling.

I lost 3lbs this week so I am pleased. 7lbs so far in a month.

Swam 64 lengths on Monday which equates to a mile. Think that I will stick at this number of lengths and try to improve my time.

I would like to cut down my carbs later on in the day, but I struggle for ideas of what to eat. I am a vegetarian so can't tuck in to some lean meat/fish with veg. Suggestions welcome as I get bored of salad in the evening as I want something more filling.

Well done for losing that weight!!!:lol:

Have you tried making a chunky veg soup for your dinner?

I have not been on a strict diet but I have been cutting out a few things and I have lost five pounds! in 2 weeks though, my GP said that is more than fine :lol:

The sun in the sky has made feel far more like eating salads so for the second time this week I have made a big salad for my dinner...and not even having bread...i did have a twix today the chocolate just called my name and I couldn't resist..:lol:

I have not been on a strict diet but I have been cutting out a few things and I have lost five pounds! in 2 weeks though, my GP said that is more than fine :friends0:

That is great! Good for you, Paula :lol:

I've just been outside for a power walk for the first time since October and it felt so good to just breathe in the fresh air and not be freezing my tail off. Hopefully the weather will stay nice here on out so I can make that a regular routine.

That is great! Good for you, Paula :D

I've just been outside for a power walk for the first time since October and it felt so good to just breathe in the fresh air and not be freezing my tail off. Hopefully the weather will stay nice here on out so I can make that a regular routine.

Thanks CaliLily, good stuff on the power walk, do you listen to music while you walk? :lol:

Well done for losing that weight!!!:lol:

Have you tried making a chunky veg soup for your dinner?

I do make quite a lot of soup. My only problem with this is that I like to have some bread with it :D

I have not been on a strict diet but I have been cutting out a few things and I have lost five pounds! in 2 weeks though, my GP said that is more than fine :)

That is BRILLIANT Paula. Well done. Are you feeling better for it?

Just been for a swim. Did my usual 64 lengths and cut my time down, so I am pleased.