How long do you take in a bookshop?

vinay87

I go in the Waterstones at Piccadilly quite a lot, and also to Hatchards just along the road from it. I pop in Foyles occasionally but I'm not a huge fan of the place. I also go in Forbidden Planet a fair bit. I'm really gutted that Borders closed down. I used to spend a lot of time in the one on Oxford Street.

I tend to have a fairly good idea what I want when I go in a book shop but I still have a browse. If I see a book that interests me I'll make a note of it and go away and read some reviews before taking the plunge.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I spent about two and a half hours in the Waterstones on Gower Street today. Bought eight books. I wonder how many of them I'll ever get round to reading.

I heart it so. I work in a charity shop so if I did ever give away books I should take them there but I like that shop so much I feel like taking them there instead. Even though it's a big company. Clearly it is an evil place.

I did look out for you Giulia but I didn't see you.

Please forgive me, I resisted the temptation of going in the end - if I'd gone I would have spent money I don't have, and that would have been Bad. Seems like you had fun nonetheless :D eight shiny new books... well done you.

Quick off-topic question:lurker: do the remainder stickers at the back peel off sensibly?

I thought they looked like the type that wouldn't but they come off easily, without a mark. Just do it slowly. Obviously.

So I had the pleasure of going through my books and removing the stickers. I don't know if that sounds sarcastic. It's not meant to. I love taking the stickers off new purchases.

There is no book shop(Bookworld is not a book shop imo) in the wee town in which I live(Hobbiton):lol:! So most of my books are bought from charity shops or borrowed from the Library but every time I make my sojurn into the nearby metropolis, a visit to Waterstones is a must.(It has a very fast space age lift!)

Back in my home town in Scotland, we had what was at the time the countries largest second hand book shop situated in a 19th century church with real coal fire and home made cake. It had something for every one, A huge sci-fi/fantasy and horror section, lots of biographies and stuff to keep bibliophiles of all persuations happy. I spent hours in that place!:lol:

Edited by Eck

I usually stay in bookshops for about half an hour,but mostly because I'm always on my way somewhere else when I happen to pop into one.And because I visit them often :smile2: But when I go with the intent of buying a book,I just get what I want and get out,cos otherwise...I could end up without any money. Most of the time when I'm in bookshops I read the text on the back of the book,flip through a few pages and if I like it,I write down the title (quite handy those cellphones,aren't they),and I get them from the library.If I *really* like the book,I buy it straight away.

If i'm alone it can be hours, once i'm in its hard to get me out until i've looked at practically every section. If i'm with someone it depends on how long it takes them to get bored and I feel guilty and leave looking back constantly, I feel a rare happiness when inside a bookshop.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that depends on how much time I have, but usually I stay there for quite some time. I was in London a couple of weeks ago and had to stroll through every single bookshop we came across. My friend who was with me is not interested in books that much and when we went to Waterstone's on Oxford Street she sat there about an hour waiting for me. Actually I felt a little sorry for her, but then again she seemed content just sitting there and watching all those book maniacs. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I usually spend at least an hour in any given bookstore. I really enjoy just looking for books, even if I cannot buy them at the time. I love just reading a few pages and then adding it to the wish list. This is the short version, then when I actually get to take one home! I spend longer, because I have to spend the time going over everything on my wish list to pick only one.. it could be hours. If my boyfriend does go with me, he is interested in the magazines and car books so he can usually entertain him self for about an hour and then he just waits, and doesn't usually rush me. He's nice :D You'd think he'd get annoyed when I don't even buy anything.. but nope and he doesn't even read.