Live Music

Mexicola

I thought I'd pose some questions to those who enjoy gigs and live music. Would love to see who you've seen/who you rate as the best live acts etc :welcome: (couldn't see a thread on this already, apologies if I've overlooked it)

Favourite live band/artist?

Eagles of Death Metal for the entertainment factor. Radiohead for the music and overall performance.

Band/artist you've seen live the most times?

Eagles of Death Metal four times, thanks to their frequent trips to the South of England :)

Band/artist you've not yet seen live but would love to?

Many. Queens of the Stone Age spring to mind, I've loved them for years but seemed to have missed every opportunity I've had to see them.

Band/artist you never had the chance to see?

All the greats really. Nirvana. Jeff Buckley. Joy Division. The Doors. Jimi Hendrix. The Beatles.

Worst live band/artist?

The Artic Monkeys at Reading 09. I felt they had no stage presence and I might as well have been listening to their albums at home.

Stevie Wonder every single time.

Stevie Wonder and Bobby Womack both 3 times, arguably Stevie 4 times, since the first time I saw him he was a surprise guest at one of Bobby's shows, where he sang just the one song but brought the house down.

George Benson and Jamie Cullum.

Frank Sinatra - I would have loved to have seen him, but couldn't afford the ticket prices.

Worst live band/artist?

I don't think there is one single gig that I haven't enjoyed. I don't get the chance as often as I used to, since Coran and I have such different tastes, but when I do get the chance to see live acts because it is such a rare event, it makes it even more special.

Great thread Mexicola :welcome:

Lifehouse, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Blessid Union of Souls, Counting Crows

I've seen Angel Dean well over 15 times and Jeremy Camp 4

I have tickets to see Breaking Benjamin in April :) Can't wait for that one! I would also love to see Aerosmith (though I doubt they will ever come back to South Dakota after what happened last time!)

The Beatles, ABBA

Worst live band/artist?

Eve 6

That's a toughie. Jack L puts on the best show, but I love the Goo Goo Dolls live because they're just such an awesome band. As live performances go, Jack L would have to win. I've never experienced such silence and awe as his performances demand anywhere else. Unless Tim Minchin counts, then he wins. Wins EPICALLY.

Goo Goo Dolls and Jack L again, both twice! Everyone else (Tim Minchin, Chris De Burgh, Bon Jovi, Velvet Revolver and Westlife) were all once.

There are so many..... Elton John, Mika, Meat Loaf, Steve Vai... but, the absolute number one I MUST see before I die/he retires: Andrew McMahon. MUST.

Savage Garden and Guns N Roses.

Worst live band/artist?

Uhhh.... I've never been to a bad gig, ever!! I don't go to festivals and only go to gigs I really want to, so I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!

Dream Theater. They are AWESOME, both recorded and live! And I would go to every show they ever did, anywhere in the world if I had the money and time to do so - they are THAT good. :welcome:

Dream Theater - I've been to Manchester once and two London concerts too (on two consecutive nights - they actually gave two different shows!).

David Bowie - there's just something about him!

Pink - she totally rocks!

Queen (with Mr Mercury)

The Doors

Worst live band/artist?

I've only really been to see a few, but I saw a small gig by a band called Skin when I was 17 and they were pretty awful. Also, when I went to see the U2 Popmart tour, they were supported by The Seahorses and I thought they were dire too (although, that was possibly because I don't like their music anyway, rather than them being particularly bad on the night, whereas Skin were just dire full stop!).

Alice Cooper put on a really great show. But the Duke Special gig was so up close it was pretty amazing.

I haven't went to see that many people more than once but I have seen Static X twice.

There are too many to name!

Guns N Roses.

Worst live band/artist?

I don't think I've went to any rubbish gigs to be honest.

Although the time I nearly dropped a drink on Tommy Victor (Prong) when he was drinking with us after the gig because I was so drunk was pretty embarrassing.:welcome:

Edited by Cookie

Muse .. absolutely stunningly brilliant .. also Radiohead

Nelly Furtado .. I've seen her about six times

Paolo Nutini

Jeff Buckley and Kate Bush (she only ever did one tour!)

Worst live band/artist?

I can't think of anybody, they've all been good

Guess it's a tie between Deathstars, they're so entertaining onstage, really amazing, and Kamelot, since they're brilliant. They sound fantastic live, and the voice of Roy, wow... power.

Deathstars

DragonForce, the music's so powerful and amazing, would love to see that energy on stage. Also, Psyclon Nine.. their music can sounds so deliciously evil, and honestly, Nero is just gorgeous. Placebo, if they weren't so bloody popular that it meant packed venues.

Old Nightwish, with Tarja. Annette's nice as singer, but it's just not the same. Also Dope Stars Inc before the line-up change. With Grace.

Worst live band/artist?

Pff, I don't know. Not by name anyway.. must be one of the many support bands I have seen over the years. Either that one before one of the Epica gigs I've seen, or the one before one of the Deathstars gigs, a "band" consisting of one guy screaming along to a background tape (no live instruments) and two crappy female dancers. That guy really was trying too hard. :)

Really tough to narrow it down but some i would say for different reasons - Radiohead, Elbow, Depeche Mode, Richard Ashcroft and Fleetwood Mac

Puressence, Stereophonics

Prince, Temper Trap, Mumford and son's

Kate Bush, Judy Garland and Elvis.

Worst live band/artist?

Its been 11 years since I last week to a gig but its something that I hope to start doing again.

Sepultura, with Max Cavalera on vocals before he left them. Only saw them once, but they were so intense it was amazing.

Therapy? Saw them 5 times live. Such a cool band live. I saw them at Brixton Academy once, walked out after the gig to go and get a 4hr bus ride back. Of course, I walked out to be told there was a riot going on. Such a fun experience!

I could list loads. Metallica would be my number one I guess. I would have loved to have seen Nine Inch Nails, but sadly they are no more.

See above with NIN. I would have loved to see Avenged Sevenfold as well, but with the death of The Rev this past December, I can't see them touring in a long time.

Worst live band/artist?

I've been pretty lucky gig-wise. I suppose Extreme at Monsters Of Rock '94 would be the closest, but they were on a loser from the beginning. I mean, following Pantera, Sepultura and Slayer? A ballady type of rock is gonna get slaughtered after them.

• 2 weeks later...

Stereophonics

Stereophonics (probably seen them over 20 times now:tong:)

Foo Fighters and Muse

The Beatles, Nirvana and Guns 'n' Roses

Worst live band/artist?

Snow Patrol

Excellent idea for a thread, Mexicola! Love live music :lol:.

Red Hot Chili Peppers for sure! Love them :blush:.

Hmmm, I would say Audioslave/Chris Cornell. I've seen them twice as a band and twice while Chris was on his solo tour. I never get tired of seeing him.

Muse, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, The Dead Weather

Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin, Dave Brubeck, Ella Fitzgerald

Worst live band/artist?

I saw The Mars Volta open for the Peppers and I hated them. All the songs seem to run together and sound the same so I just couldn't get into it. I also saw this band called the Glass Ghosts open for the White Rabbits and they were horrid. Just a drummer and a keyboard player and the music was like they were still practicing in their parent's basement!

Good thread!

Foo Fighters and Stereophonics without a doubt! Yeah Yeah Yeah's are also awesome live as are The Killers, Metallica, System of a Down, Subways, Jet and Eagles of Death Metal

Foo Fighters and Stereophonics. I see them both everytime they tour. I am seeing the 'phonics again next month :blush:

The Eagles, White Rabbits (thanks Peacefield for the recommendation), Incubus & Pearl Jam to name a few.

So many! Beatles, The Doors and Nirvana would probably be the main ones.

Worst live band/artist?

This isn't probably going to go down very well, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers are by far the worst live act that I have seen :lol: They were boring and they didn't put any effort in at all. It looked like they didn't want to be there which isn't the best feeling for a fan when you have spent

Radiohead for the music and overall performance. But I haven't seen them...why don't they want to come to Indonesia? :blush::lol: :lol:

Green Day

RADIOHEAD

All the greats really. Nirvana. The Doors. Jimi Hendrix. The Beatles.

Worst live band/artist?

britney spears