Ian Rankin

• 2 weeks later...

I read the first one, Knots and Crosses, and while I enjoyed it I have never felt strongly enough to come back to the next one (pretty much the same as my most recent read - the first crime novel by Kathy Reichs).

Ian Rankin will, however, remain on my list of someone to read if I run out of other authors!

• 4 months later...

The Naming of the Dead spacer.gif G8 ... George Bush ... Rebus ...

The Naming of the Dead promises a potent mix of action and politics, set against a backdrop of the most devastating week in recent British history.

Set in July 2005 when the G8 leaders gathered in Scotland. Facing daily marches, demonstrations, and scuffles, the police are at full stretch. Detective Inspector John Rebus, however, has been sidelined, until the apparent suicide of an MP coincides with clues that a serial killer may be on the loose. The authorities are keen to hush up both, for fear of overshadowing a meeting of global importance – but Rebus has never been one to stick to the rules, and when his colleague Siobhan Clarke finds herself hunting down the identity of the riot cop who assaulted her mother, it looks as though Rebus and Clarke may be up pitted against both sides in the conflict.

Released on the 18th of October 2006

ISBN-10: 0752868586 ISBN-13: 9780752868585

:friends0:

you will like this book if you have read his previous work.

which as I've read you have so I'm sure you will in this case will be gratefully impressed with this book that I've mentioned which will be turned in to a tv drama sometime this year I read it in the Scottish press.

Actually 4 of Ian rankin's books will be turned in to Tv dramas "NAming the dead" is including on the list.

the novels are

knots and crosses

naming the dead

resurrection man

book No4 hasn't yet been decided

here is the press article regarding this story

it's from the glasgow evening times

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1166226.0.0.php

:D

This sounds really good. I haven't read any of Ian Rankin, but I recently bought two (can't remember which ones) and OH is reading one at the moment. This would be particularly appealing as its set during a period that was covered on local as well as national news. I'll be interested to see what others think.

• 5 months later...

Since I last posted to this thread in Feb my other half has devoured about eight IR books, (all Rebus), and he loves them. I am looking forward to reading them, but am currently bogged down under an ever threatening landslide of TBR books.

Has anyone else noticed how alike Ian Rankin and avid Tennant are? They could be the same person....or twins!

Pp.

• 2 weeks later...

The question is what happen to Rebus after the book after next (I think). As they are all in real time, Rebus is just a year away from retirement from the police.

My best guess is that Siobhan will become the main focus, with Rebus as a "consultant". Or he could become a private eye.

I really like his books. At times they are laugh out loud funny. I don't know if anyone remembers the scene in Naming of the Dead where Rebus and "Big Ger" McCafferty are watching the local politician speak & "Big Ger" makes an observation? I can't repeat it on here, but it is one of the funniest lines ever by Rankin!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought Naming of the Dead. Haven't read any for some time, I read most of his Rebus books in quick succession about five years ago, so quickly that I can't distinguish them! In fact my son who was still at primary school then, drew a picture of me reading an Ian Rankin book with the caption "Mum's always reading"!!

I started reading them after I saw the televisation of Black and Blue, with John Hanna playing Rebus - I reckon he was much better than Ken Stott, in fact I always visualise Rebus as John Hanna when I'm reading.

I've just bought Naming of the Dead. Haven't read any for some time, I read most of his Rebus books in quick succession about five years ago, so quickly that I can't distinguish them! In fact my son who was still at primary school then, drew a picture of me reading an Ian Rankin book with the caption "Mum's always reading"!!

I started reading them after I saw the televisation of Black and Blue, with John Hanna playing Rebus - I reckon he was much better than Ken Stott, in fact I always visualise Rebus as John Hanna when I'm reading.

John hannah was the original rebus until ken stott stepped into his shoes.

i too read about 5 of the 'Rebus' books close together a few years ago, i am about 6 chapters into naming the dead at the moment and finding it very slow going