Oldies but Goodies

The holy trinity: Hammett, Chandler and Jim Thompson. I think Thompson was the first I read of the three, completely spoiling myself. I had picked up the Holmes stories when I was still at school, but they seemed too mild compared with my usual tastes. If someone is going to fight crime, or commit a crime, the stakes have to be high. "Cosy" mysteries don't ring true to me, so there is nothing I really gain from reading them. I can appreciate the craft, acknowledge the skill of the author and see the tangled plot as a work of art, but the immersion in the world of the characters isn't as strong nor as lasting as a main character who faces death and brutal beatings every so often.

I've only recently started reading in the crime genre, and I was also introduced through Raymond Chandler. I've since also read and loved Arthur Conan Doyle and I have Dashiell Hammett on my TBR pile.

Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout, were my favorite in high school. He's largely forgotten now. Even more forgotten is my all-time favorite, Ross MacDonald, and his Lew Archer detective novels. His tales usually concerned lost children, fractured families, and the past always catching up to the present, a price to be paid for the sins of the fathers. Once held in high literary esteem, the Freudian nature of MacDonald's view of life has gone out of fashion. I recently re-read his Sleeping Beauty, based on the tragic demise of his own daughter, and it still seems like a great novel to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, I can't think of a particular author who sent me in that direction. I think I've always liked whodunits. I could say, Carolyn Keene, author of the Nancy Drew books, because I've liked mysteries since I was a kid.

I do think Robert Parker is one of the best, though. I love his (though I think he's been kind of phoning it in in the past several books) books and was very saddened to learn of his death earlier this month.

Agatha Christie's 'Poirot' and John Mortimer's 'Rumpole of the Bailey' were my introduction to the mystery-genre, though lately I have been reading a lot of Conan-Doyle and Dorothy L. Sayers. I prefer the good 'ole cosy mystery usually, sans the near-demise or recurrent pummeling of the main character. :D

Guest velocipede2288

I am reading a John Creasey Commander Gideon book. These stories were made into a very popular TV programme in the 60's, and stared John Gregson.this one is called. Gideon's March.

Boy, I can't think of a particular author who sent me in that direction. I think I've always liked whodunits. I could say, Carolyn Keene, author of the Nancy Drew books, because I've liked mysteries since I was a kid.

Carolyn Keene and Nancy Drew I haven't thought about that in years I had about 50 of them, used to get them ordered when I lived in Germany in the 70's as a child from the puffin club. That did start my love of crime (reading wise I am not a master criminal by any means) closely followed by Agatha Christie rightly called the 'Queen of Crime' and the Conan Doyle and the complete Sherlock Holmes series.

I suppose it was Agatha Christie in my youth - either Miss Marple or Poirot. Then I went through a Ruth Rendell spell - I was more keen on her psychological thrillers than the Wexford series. I then got engrossed in the Brother Cadfael Chronicles but that is more about the historical settings than the plots (which I admit can be a little lightweight) but just lovely to read.

In later years though it has to be Arthur Conan Doyle all the way.

Guest velocipede2288
Agatha Christie's 'Poirot' and John Mortimer's 'Rumpole of the Bailey' were my introduction to the mystery-genre, though lately I have been reading a lot of Conan-Doyle and Dorothy L. Sayers. I prefer the good 'ole cosy mystery usually, sans the near-demise or recurrent pummeling of the main character. :friends0:

I love the Rumpold books. I think I have all of John Mortimer's Rumpold books on my shelves.

Guest velocipede2288
Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout, were my favorite in high school. He's largely forgotten now. Even more forgotten is my all-time favorite, Ross MacDonald, and his Lew Archer detective novels. His tales usually concerned lost children, fractured families, and the past always catching up to the present, a price to be paid for the sins of the fathers. Once held in high literary esteem, the Freudian nature of MacDonald's view of life has gone out of fashion. I recently re-read his Sleeping Beauty, based on the tragic demise of his own daughter, and it still seems like a great novel to me.

This reminds me I haven't read a Lew Archer book for some time. I used to enjoy them. And I have several of Nero Wolfe books on my shelf too.Enjoyable detective fiction.