A question of popularity

Scarlette

I've noticed a lot of comments along the lines of "I dislike/won't read so and so book because everyone else is reading it", etc. And I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are concerning the hype that tends to surround a lot of books these days - and I'm not just referring to the T-word... If the fact that a book is overly popular make you feel less inclined to read it, why so? And why should we care what "everyone else" is reading, anyway?

Thoughts. :smile2:

I don't really care what people think of what I'm reading. If I think I'm going to like a book then I'll read it! I've been quite lucky and read both The Da Vinci Code and Twilight before the hype really hit. I liked both of them so why should I change my mind once both books went crazy bonkers popular?

I agree with you, Fi. I think what I'm most afraid of is missing out on a great read. Which is why I'll try any book within my favourite genres, without paying attention to reviews, etc. I'm generally so out of tune with whatever is "in" at the moment, anyway, that it doesn't really affect me.

I agree with you, Fi. I think what I'm most afraid of is missing out on a great read. Which is why I'll try any book within my favourite genres, without paying attention to reviews, etc. I'm generally so out of tune with whatever is "in" at the moment, anyway, that it doesn't really affect me.

Snap! Normally I've either already read something that suddenly becomes the "it" book or it's completely passed me by and I read it about 5 years after everyone else :smile2: In my bookselling days it was easier to read books before the ghype but these days I read anything that takes my fancy and if people look down on me for that then it's their problem, not mine :yahoo:

I have this strange thing that is totally bonkers and uncalled for, but, let's say there's a band that I've supported and followed for years and I've waxed rhapsodic about how great they are and 'you should listen to 'em, they're GREAT!', all this stuff, then - when suddenly everyone thinks they're amazing, I go off them a little.

What the hell's wrong with me? Is it like "My work here is done!" like Tyres off Spaced? I loved The Da Vinci Code - even looked forward to it coming out, but then there was all this hype over his new one and I couldn't be bothered to get it. Silly me. :smile2:

I do that with music - eg. Muse. I've been a fan since I saw one of their first gigs in Teignmouth way back in the day and now they're uber popular (thanks to everyone's favourite books) and I'm a bit reluctant to admit I like them :smile2:

I did buy Dan Brown's new one but I've only read about 100 pages, it's sat on the shelf gathering dust and I just can't summon up the enthusiasm to pick it up again.

Like others have said, if I like the sound of a book then I will read it - simple as that. I don't particularly care what people think about my reading, or anything else for that matter ! It's none of my business what anyone else thinks ...

I'm actually quite inclined to try some things if they're popular and hyped up, just to see what all the fuss is about. I was looking for a book to take on holiday and go onto Amazon and see these two books about Harry Potter, then remembered I'd heard something about it on the radio, but couldn't remember what it was. Decided to give them both a go, and what do you know, by the time I go on holiday, the hype is EVERYWHERE! Ignoring that, I read the first book on a two hour train journey followed by a one hour flight, and started the second book the next morning, and was completely hooked.

On the flip side, I'd seen so much coverage of The Da Vinci Code, that when it came up in my book group, I gave it a go, and absolutely hated it - terrible, clunky dialogue, awful one dimensional characters, in fact, the only benefit was that it was fast read (a long evening in front of the fire).

I hope that I'm open minded enough to be able to try most things whether they're popular and hyped up or not, and make my own decisions on the material on its own merits. And, I think it's perfectly acceptable to like something, even knowing that it has flaws. (e.g. Twilight)

I don't really care if a book is popular. I find most of the books i read through forums, podcasts and blogs and most of those are probably the hyped books. I bought The Road today and only got it because I want to see the film (but want to read it first) so, I think I am quite a trendy reader :smile2: I don't care though - reading is reading :yahoo:

I don't really care if a book is popular or not. If I like the look of it, I'll have a read. If not, I won't. Simple as!! :smile2: However, it does slightly annoy me when other people kind of look down on me for reading a popular book. I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad for reading something that they enjoy.

I couldn't care less whether something is popular or not - if I like the sound of it I'll read it - and if I don't, I won't, it's as simple as that. I read quite a lot of books when they're in the chart - but equally I read stuff that's donkey's years old.

I won't read Twilight because I'm not at all interested in vampires. In fact, I'm sick to death of them - they seem to be everywhere one looks at the moment! :smile2:

I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone when it first came out but far from going off it when it became popular, I loved them until the last one and I'm so pleased for JKR and her success.

I never quite understand why people go off bands when they become mainstream. I'm pleased that a group I've enjoyed have had success and (hopefully) made a shed load of money! But that's just me. :yahoo:

I never quite understand why people go off bands when they become mainstream. I'm pleased that a group I've enjoyed have had success and (hopefully) made a shed load of money! But that's just me. :yahoo:

It's not that I've gone off any band but, for example, when you say you like Group X people assume it's because they did a certain book's soundtrack and it drives me nuts. I'm glad that they're making more money and the whole world knows who they are but I wish people wouldn't just put their success down to movies that I won't name :smile2:

I don't understand it, either. I'm always really pleased that said band is doing well, but my interest seems to...just...err...wan? You know what I mean? Oh, probably not, because of what you said, actually! :smile2:

I truly appreciate what an idiot I am. Truly.

When there is a LOT of hype around a book, like there is around Twilight, it absolutely ruins it for me. The hype annoys me to the point where I don't want to have anything to do with the book. It's gotten 100 times worse since the books have been made into movies. I don't have patience for fangirls who swoon over movie characters. The whole thing makes me ill. Maybe it's because I do all my swooning privately, I don't know. :lol:

But if a book has a lot of critical praise, then I'll most likely check it out, but not until years later. I'm honestly just lazy, and I already have too much to read. :lol:

I might be more likely to look at a popular book because I'd want to know why so many people liked it, but the blurb would be what made me decide to read it or not. There's a part of me that doesn't want to go with the crowd but I'm not that bothered about it. Usually I won't seek out a popular book unless a friend recommends it.

Perhaps it's a matter of getting tired of seeing a book shoved into the limelight and kept there even after the novelty wears off?

True.

I might be more likely to look at a popular book because I'd want to know why so many people liked it, but the blurb would be what made me decide to read it or not. There's a part of me that doesn't want to go with the crowd but I'm not that bothered about it. Usually I won't seek out a popular book unless a friend recommends it.

I'm inclined to pick a book and read it if i hear many are reading it and enjoyed it. But i find that i'm usually disappointed. A book that is presented as critically acclaimed or great or loved by many, most of the time, doesn't appeal to me. i think hype spoils the experience of reading the book because too many expectations are built up, instead of enjoying the book on its own merit.

Edited by Capture

I agree with you there Caption. I got that with The Da Vinci code, I read it because a friend was talking about it more than the actual hype but I expected it to be really good. When it came down to it I thought it was too plot focused, I enjoyed it while reading it but I didn't feel I really got anything out of it, and it didn't reach up to the hype.