Books that make you look "cool"

darren2k

Of course, I have an unfair advantage, what with being so unbelievably cool anyway, that any book I'm holding has it's sales boosted by 200%....

So it was you that started the Harry Potter, Dan Brown and Twilight crazes? Hmmm... I wonder what else I can blame you for? :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not accusing or finger pointing, just saying: don't start on the Bible here, guys, or I'll end up splitting threads, moving posts, and kicking ass. There's a thread in mature discussion.

Please and thank you kindly.

I love seeing people read, I am really nosey and want to know what they are reading, I don't think how cool I look, I read what I read. :)

I am also nosey; I will crane my neck to try and read an excerpt over people's shoulders if the cover is out of my line of sight:lurker: anyone holding a book I've read and enjoyed, a title off my wishlist or something I've never heard of would get a nod of approval from me. I've tried starting literary conversations in the past (on buses, for instance) but people have usually told me to badger off *wails inconsolably*.

I love seeing people read, I am really nosey and want to know what they are reading, I don't think how cool I look, I read what I read. :)

Me too! I just love to see what people are reading.

I suppose it is really a lot like 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' I know a what of what I may deem as cool to others would be cringeworthy (is that a word?)

Cool for me, probably a biography of a musician I liked.

Not cool, anything financial or politically based.

I've tried starting literary conversations in the past (on buses, for instance) but people have usually told me to badger off *wails inconsolably*.

Near the end of last year, I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, much to the amusement of the little old lady sitting opposite me. She commented to me, as I rose to get off, that although she rarely saw anyone read P&P, she'd never seen anyone reading P&P&Z - and promptly asked me if it was any good. I had to tell her it was pretty hilarious and I got the feeling that this little old granny (who must have been 80 if she was a day) was going to head off to the book shop to get a copy of her own.

To me, she was the coolest person I met that day and quite posibly the coolest person I have ever met on a bus! :)

Near the end of last year, I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, much to the amusement of the little old lady sitting opposite me. She commented to me, as I rose to get off, that although she rarely saw anyone read P&P, she'd never seen anyone reading P&P&Z - and promptly asked me if it was any good. I had to tell her it was pretty hilarious and I got the feeling that this little old granny (who must have been 80 if she was a day) was going to head off to the book shop to get a copy of her own.

To me, she was the coolest person I met that day! :)

Oh WOW! What a cool old lady! hehe

"Not accusing or finger pointing, just saying: don't start on the Bible here, guys, or I'll end up splitting threads, moving posts, and kicking ass. There's a thread in mature discussion.

Please and thank you kindly."

Would you react the same way if I was to admit to you that (insert any of your favourite books here) made me cringe?

If the answer is no, then you're getting a little excited there Nollaig, but it was kinda cute :D

In this forum though, it's just a book. Like any other.

It was a completely light hearted statement not only directed at you. No need to patronize.

In this forum, it's not just a book to some people - I know that for a fact. And while you're welcome to contest that, the place to do so is not here. Okay? End of discussion.

Edited by Nollaig

Seeing someone reading The God Dillusion would impress me.

There's a book that actually makes you think, and, dare I say it, question matters.

I find Dawkins books in general very interesting, and yep, if I saw someone with the God dillusion in their hands I would think, "ok cool, they either think like me, or they are at least open to the idea"...either way thats cool in my eyes!

@Pablo, that seemed somewhat childish. I am not religious, however I think she just wanted to make sure no one was offended which is fair enough.

Back on topic, I love seeing people reading on the tubes in general, especially when someone who really doesn't look the sort (unfair to judge I know but meh) whips out a book. I normally have my nose so far into my own book I don't really notice other people much. Eyes on the words on my page, and ears concentrating on when it's my stop.

Haha, I do that too! :D If I can't see the cover I surreptitiously try to read snippets of the book to see if it's one I've read. I'm not sure why, I suppose I'm a curious person. I've only ever started a conversation with a random stranger because they're reading a particular book once or twice.

You two are the reason why I try to hide my book on public transport! :D I don't know why I hate people looking at my book, but I do.

I read an article recently about people being 'private' or 'public' readers and I was surprised at the number of comments from people saying they won't read on public transport. I never for a second would've thought that people avoided reading on public transport because it's not private enough (lack of concentration or travel sickness I can understand). I think it was because they didn't want to feel as though they were sharing 'their' book with other people (in other words, they like to believe that they're the only people who have/will read the book).

I may not like people knowing what I'm reading, but I'm not about to stop reading altogether because of it! My reading time is too precious to me.

I used to get 4 buses a day to work and loved reading on the bus!! I'd get to work and be annoyed that I had to stop reading..

Unfortunately I now cycle so completely miss the whole reading on the bus fun. :D

I agree with the trying to see what other people are reading. I'm just nosy! Plus I like to see if it's a book I've read or not. I think I've nearly damaged my eyes trying to look before!

I agree with the trying to see what other people are reading. I'm just nosy! Plus I like to see if it's a book I've read or not. I think I've nearly damaged my eyes trying to look before!

Me too, and yet when I'm out in public I don't really like other people to look at mine. I always feel that if I'm reading a classic people will look at me and think I'm showing off and yet weirdly if I'm reading anything too popular then I'm too embarassed for people to see! I can't win!

I've actually read the dictionary on the bus a couple of times, and i'm not even joking :D I love interesting words! Sure i probably got some funny looks but i don't really care.

Kylie and Cookie I understand that - I feel quite vulnerable if people are seeing what I'm reading - it's the same as holding up a small sign saying, 'hello, I like Twilight, don't judge me!' or 'hello, I like science fiction, but I'm still cool!' It makes me defensive. I may as well be whipping out a canvas and paints and saying 'look at me, I paint, too!'

Kylie and Cookie I understand that - I feel quite vulnerable if people are seeing what I'm reading - it's the same as holding up a small sign saying, 'hello, I like Twilight, don't judge me!' or 'hello, I like science fiction, but I'm still cool!' It makes me defensive. I may as well be whipping out a canvas and paints and saying 'look at me, I paint, too!'

I am exactly the same as this. Especially the I like so and so, dont judge me. People do judge, and I even do it myself, on little things like books someone is reading. I might be reading a book, but there is so much more I do than just read fantasy novels or whatever.

I have often wanted to have a chat with someone on public transport about a book they are reading but never really have the guts to do so! There should be a symbol for "come talk to me about my book if you really want to!", like a certain type/colour of book mark protruding from the book. :D Would get the reading community closer!