Shin's 2010 Reads

Shin

The Heretic's Daughter ~by~ Kathleen Kent

Synopsis by Waterstones:

Martha Carrier was hanged on August 19th, 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts, unyielding in her refusal to admit to being a witch, going to her death rather than joining the ranks of men and women who confessed and were thereby spared execution. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and wilful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. In this startling novel, she narrates the story of her early life in Andover, near Salem. Her father is a farmer, English in origin, quietly stoical but with a secret history. Her mother is a herbalist, tough but loving, and above all a good mother. Often at odds with each other, Sarah and her mother have a close but also cold relationship, yet it is clear that Martha understands her daughter like no other. When Martha is accused of witchcraft, and the whisperings in the community escalate, she makes her daughter promise not to stand up for her if the case is taken to court. As Sarah and her brothers are hauled into the prison themselves, the vicious cruelty of the trials is apparent, as the Carrier family, along with other innocents, are starved and deprived of any decency, battling their way through the hysteria with the sheer willpower their mother has taught them.

My Review:

I have to admit but as I started this book I did not think this was a type of book that I would be interested in, even though that I am interested in the Salem Witch Trials. It took me sometime to read the first 100 pages but after I got passed that 100 pages I was glued to the book and read the remainder in a day and a half.

The main aspect of this book for me was the hardship that young Sarah had to go through at such a young age and the relationship with her mother for someone under the age of ten. There was no tender loving care among the relationship on the outside but the love and care under it all during the trials was hard and I even shed a tear during the read.

I did enjoy this read and would recommend it and if you do feel that you are struggling at the beginning like I did, don't give up because you will enjoy it.

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Shin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic