Catwoman's 2010 Reading log!

catwoman

:D You wouldn't!

Just kidding. :( I haven't even started reading it myself yet. :lol:

Well you've still got a week for it right? Although I have to say, you oughta get on with it pretty soon, at least I had a difficult time reading it the one time I tried it, it's really good but kind of slow to read, IMO.

Sorry CW for going off-topic on your thread :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book #17: The Ghost by Rober Harris.

This was total and utter... B******s!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Catwoman

Just finished this myself this morning. I don't have it on quite such a lowly rating, but can see where you come from on it. But then, unlike a lot of readers, I don't rate Robert Harris that highly - pleasant enough change from my other reading and to wind down to, but nothing special to write home about - and this just filled that slot, although there were one or two points where I thought, this just couldn't/wouldn't happen this way Having said that, I did almost stop at the point where we got a detailed brand name description of his writer's toolkit - corny in the extreme.

The difference lay in the fact that, as you said, that the last 80 or so pages were good, a contrast to his previous books where, normally, I find the end a bit of an anticlimax after very promising buildups, and it didn't take that long to get there, given the large print, which made the book look more substantial than it was. All in all, it whiled away a day or so's fairly mindless reading, which is what I wanted at this moment.

One final thought - the film has generally had really good reviews, and I have to say that reading this, it did strike me that it would likely make a better film than book, something I thought also true of Enigma. Suppose I'll have to wait for the DVD to find out now, as it's no longer in the cinemas round here.

Edited by willoyd

• 3 weeks later...
Oh c'mooooon!!! That's not fair!!!!!! Now I don't know whether you're pulling my leg and just spoiler-tagging something like "I knew you couldn't resist!" and "you naughty girl, read the book!!!" and "get the book right now or I'll kickban you from the forum!!". Or whether you have real deals hidden there. Ah man!! CW, help me out a little, Chrissy's teasing me!

sorry for the late reply Frankie. It say that I had viewed my thread and no no posts were made. But I really had not!

Anyway yes you have to read the book because what Chrissy said was right :blush:

*High five to Chrissy!*

And peeps feel fre to go off topic anytime you want on my thread.

@Willoyd. I don't thin my mojo has recovered from that book. I think i was epxecting it to be so good yet just utterly dissapointed me. If I had no expectations I don't think my review would have been so bad. Maybe on hinesight I was a little OTT :)

• 2 weeks later...

Book #18: Percy Jackson and the Lightening thief

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek god. I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. That's when things started really going wrong. Now I spend my time fighting with swords, battling monsters with my friends and generally trying to stay alive. This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea..

Ok this is a YA book. I got thhis out from the library as my oldest wanted to watch the film. I LOVED IT!!! I have been busy and did not have much time to read it in a long sitting I wish I had!It was just great in everyway! I loved going back to my childhood and reliing all the old Greek lessons about Greek Mythology and how the author has related it to modern times.

i have read this to my son now (I bought the series) and he loves it. He can relate to Percy as he had ADHD and dyslexia and they go into why Percy has these things wrong with him (It helps him fight and learn Greek ancient Greek better)

Quick paced and awesome characters!!!

10/10

Book #19: The preacher by Camilla Lackberg

For the first time in English, the second psychological thriller from No 1 bestselling Swedish crime sensation Camilla Lackberg. In the fishing community of Fjallbacka, life is remote, peaceful -- and for some, tragically short. Foul play was always suspected in the disappearance twenty years ago of two young holidaymakers in the area. Now a young boy out playing has confirmed this grim truth. Their remains, discovered with those of a fresh victim, send the town into shock. Local detective Patrik Hedstrom, expecting a baby with his girlfriend Erica, can only imagine what it is like to lose a child. When a second young girl goes missing, Hedstrom's attention focuses on the Hults, a feuding clan of misfits, relgious fanatics and criminals. The suspect list is long but time is short -- which of this family's dark secrets will provide the vital clue?

I picked this book up as I had to read something for my first book club from the new arrivals shelf.I saw this and as I love Larsson, and this a well known scandinavian author thought I would give it ago,

Ok so this is set in Sweden, and has to do with a hidden family secret. Other than that there are NO other comparisons to the girl with/who series by Stieg Larsson.

The style of writing is totally different and so are the characters. Lackberg is not as detailed as larsson, which in some respects is a good thing. It starts off jumping straight in, and I like that. I was not bored at any point yet at the same time it is not a book that I would say is at my top ten but I would look out for her again.

If you like authors like Val McDermid, Karin Slaughter, then I would recommend to read this book.

7.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

Book #21: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - Rick Riodan

You can't tell by looking at me that my dad is Poseidon, God of the Sea. It's not easy being a half-blood these days. You mortals can't even see the monsters we have to fight all the time. So when a game of dodgeball turned into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, I couldn't exactly ask my gym teacher for help. And that was just for starters. This is the one where Camp Half Blood is under attack, and unless I get my hands on the Golden Fleece, the whole camp will be invaded by monsters. Big ones. Can Percy survive the treacherous Sea of Monsters and restore order to Half-Blood Hill?

Ok so this is the secons in the Percy Jackson series, and continues from where we left off in the first book. Percy has spent the summer trying to live a'normal' life until he goes back to Camp Half-Blood. I settle right back into the series, I really did enjoy it. You have the same characters, along with some new one. One new character I utterly adored and I hope he is able to come back for the next book.

These is great for kids, and I have been reading them along with my son, after reading them myself. We love them so much that we have bought the first three of the collection and are looking to get the rest.

9/10

*****I noticed that I missed a review out 4th of July by Jame Patterson**** I gave it a 7/10 I think.***********

#22: SkullDuggery Pleasant: Derek Landy

Synopsis

Meet the great Skulduggery Pleasant: wise-cracking detective, powerful magician, master of dirty tricks and burglary (in the name of the greater good, of course). Oh yeah. And dead. Then there's his sidekick, Stephanie. She's! well, she's a twelve-year-old girl. With a pair like this on the case, evil had better watch out! "So you won't keep anything from me again?" He put his hand to his chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die." "Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart," she said. "I know." "And technically, you've already died." "I know that too." "Just so we're clear." Stephanie's uncle Gordon is a writer of horror fiction. But when he dies and leaves her his estate, Stephanie learns that while he may have written horror, it certainly wasn't fiction. Pursued by evil forces intent on recovering a mysterious key, Stephanie finds help from an unusual source -- the wisecracking skeleton of a dead wizard. When all hell breaks loose, it's lucky for Skulduggery that he's already dead. Though he's about to discover that being a skeleton doesn't stop you from being tortured, if the torturer is determined enough. And if there's anything Skulduggery hates, it's torture! Will evil win the day? Will Stephanie and Skulduggery stop bickering long enough to stop it? One thing's for sure: evil won't know what's hit it.

Book details

Published

03/09/2007

Publisher

HarperCollins Children's Books

ISBN

Ok so I really liked this book, my son wanted to read this, so I decided to read it before hand. I found it such a different type of idea. It starts of with the lead character Stephanie finding out that her beloved Uncle has died. I found the chapter about the reading of the will was hillarious. It then is a non stop rollercoaster, with fantastic characters and oneliners.

The style of writing reminds me of Percy jackson and the lightening thief, with the same tempo and the same feel of the unbelieveable being the believable.

Stephanie is a thoroughly mordern heroine. A 12 year old with an independant streak yet with compassion and empathy.

I don't know why but in my mind I always felt like it was set in the like it was a scene in dick tracy, haha. Maybe because of Skullduggery's hat.

9/10

Edited by catwoman

• 3 weeks later...

Book #23: Tempted (House of the Night book #6 - By P.C & Kirstin Cast

Zoey needs a break after some serious excitement. Sadly, the House of Night school for vampyres doesn't feature breaks on its curriculum - even for a High Priestess in training and her gang. Plus juggling three guys is no stress reliever, especially when one is a sexy Warrior so into protecting Zoey that he's sensing her emotions. Wider stresses lurk too, and the dark force in Tulsa's tunnels is spreading. Could Stevie Rae be responsible for more than a group of misfit fledglings? And Aphrodite's visions warn Zoey to stay away from the immortal Kalona and his dark allure - but they also show that only Zoey can stop him. She's not exactly keen to meet up, but if Zoey don't go to Kalona he'll exact a fiery vengeance on those closest to her. She just has to find the courage to do what's necessary, or everything that's important to her will be destroyed. - Not suitable for younger readers -

I have started to really like series and found them to be real easy reads and I always seem to get my mojo back if it is missing. I hope this book would not let me down as I have had a rather slow mojo for a while. The lay out of the book had been layed out slightly differntly. The chapters are each made into one of themain characters view point. I really liked this.

Aphrodite is for me still y far the best character, I love her, I love how the character has progressed throughout the series. I also love the relationship between her and Darius.

Some of the Teenage language is still annoying me, but I feel that I am getting used to it, and also maybe there is slightly less of it, as Zoey is growing up.

The book rolled along, and was Ok. I was not engrossed in it and I was able to put the down easily. But the ending was, amazing. I did not see that coming... At, all! BLIMEY!!! :o Becuase of this I reserved the next installment and I think the lastest straight away from my library I hope it comes soon!!!

It was hard to give a mark out of ten because for most of the book it was Ok and would have gavee it a 7/10.

But the ending was so unexpected (and I cried :blush:) I gave that a 9/10

Book #24: The Bone Collector (Licoln Rhyme series #1) - Jeffery Deaver.

New York City is thrown into chaos by the assaults of the Bone Collector, a serial kidnapper and killer who gives the police a chance to save his victims from death by leaving obscure clues. The cops go to Lincoln Rhyme, an ex-NYPD forensics expert left paralysed after an accident on the job. Rhyme reluctantly postpones his ambitions towards suicide and puts together a forensic investigation team, enlisting as his eyes and ears young police officer Amelia Sachs. Rhyme digs deep into the only world he has left - his astonishing mind - and slowly begins to narrow the noose around the Bone Collector. But the kidnapper is narrowing his own noose - around Lincoln Rhyme.

I remembered that I had read this book years and years ago and had totally forgot most of the plot. I fell in love with the characters all over again. WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG TO RED THIS BOOK AGAIN??!!

I find that with Deaver he has all the right qualities to make a good crime novel. He has likable and memorable characters. He has some amazing and imaginative crimes. He also has more twists and turns that a Grand Prix race at Monaco. But yet has enough detail to make you think, god damn this writer knows his stuff and really has put some research, time and effort into it. I had struggled with the last few crime novels that I had read. Including Patterson, McDermid (Who normally never lets me down) and Lackberg. The Bone Collector was EVERYTHING these authors wanted to write. The ending was fantastic, and was just spellbinding write up to the very last page, even the last sentance!

For me he is one of the masters of Crime and I can't believe I left re-reading and carrying on with the series, for so long!! I will not wait so long to read the next one. I know this will not be my last Deaver book of the year.

10/10

Book #24: The Bone Collector (Licoln Rhyme series #1) - Jeffery Deaver.

I know this will not be my last Deaver book of the year.

10/10

Wow! 10/10! Although I'm not really surprised :lol:

It's one of my favourite Deaver books. You probably know it's part of a series (the next one The Coffin Dancer is equally as good) but if you happen to come across it, get your hands on The Blue Nowhere by him, one of my surprise favourite reads of last year. It will definitely make you think twice while online! ;)

Wow! 10/10! Although I'm not really surprised :lol:

It's one of my favourite Deaver books. You probably know it's part of a series (the next one The Coffin Dancer is equally as good) but if you happen to come across it, get your hands on The Blue Nowhere by him, one of my surprise favourite reads of last year. It will definitely make you think twice while online! ;)

Yeah I have most of the Deaver ones on my TBR pile. I have had them for ages just never got round to reading them. I have actively stopped reserving books from the library for a while, as I am trying to cut down my TBR pile.

I don't think I have The BLue Nowhere though, I wil have to actively buy that one soon.

thanks Charm,

Hi C/W :) How are you?

Can you put a spoiler for what happened at the end of that House of Night book, I can't remember. Is that the last book? I quite enjoy those books, I agree with you about Aphrodite and Darius. Even at the beginning I though Aphrodite was the most interesting character. I would love those books more if they got rid of a few characters, I find the majority of them really annoying. I think I need a reread soon :)

Jeffrey Deaver - I've only read the Bodies Left Behind but that was quite interesting. I keep meaning to look out for more of his books but I forget. I'll have to read Bone Collector now. I've seen the movie though and I don't like to do it in that order. But it must be good if you've gave it 10 :)

.......For me he is one of the masters of Crime and I can't believe I left re-reading and carrying on with the series, for so long!! I will not wait so long to read the next one. I know this will not be my last Deaver book of the year.

10/10

I totally agree with you about JD, he is the master and reading your review and comments makes me realise that this is a must to be re-read. Like you I read it and the others so long ago I'd forgotten how good they are. It's now on the definate TBR list.

I totally agree with you about JD, he is the master and reading your review and comments makes me realise that this is a must to be re-read. Like you I read it and the others so long ago I'd forgotten how good they are. It's now on the definate TBR list.

Fantastic I hope you enjoy read ing them the second time around.

So glad you enjoyed the Skullduggery pleasant books they get better and better I have them all and have re-read them love the witty writing, can't wait for the new one in September.

(have you read the acknowledgements page V V funny)

Book #25: Reckless - Cornelia Funke

For the first time in his life, Jacob Reckless is afraid. For years he's stolen across to another world. A dark enchanted place he's loved for its treasure, secrets and dangers. Until now. Will, his younger brother, has followed him with terrible consequences: the boy will turn to beast; the girl he loves will break her heart and chaos will rule forever, unless Jacob can spin a fairytale to save them..

This review has been taken from the review I posted on Waterstones.com. (I'm Catwomans reads)

I got given this book to review thanks to an online Twitter competition.

I have never read Funke's previous books, even though they have have always been books that I have wanted to read. This book is not in the 'Inkheart' series and can be read without reading the others.

The front cover is beautiful and very gripping and makes you want to pick the book up. There are also some lovely illustrations throughout with the book.

The story centres around Jacob whom is trying to find a way to save his brother Will from turning into a Goyl, with the help of Will's Girlfriend and Fox. They go on an action packed adventure.

This is like a classic fairytale with many modern day twists. Funke has taken many influences from authors and other fairytales( Snow white and Sleepy Beauty are mentioned) while not taking away the originality of her own tale. She does use them to help you understand the world that you are follwing and tries to help you plant the imagination seed in your head.

The lead characters are good and I found them to be memorable. I do agree with some other people who have wrote reviews that there are parts of the story where the lack of description in certain parts of the book did become an issue for me, and I found becuase of this, some parts of the story did not flow as well, and I was unable to put myself with the magical world that Funke was trying to portray, and because of this I had to give the book less stars.

Overall a lovely pleasant book, that I am sure will satisfy many people who love the fairytale, fantasy genre. Suitable for all ages.

7/10

Hi CW, I haven't been on lately because everytime I come on to get to know the new layout, I give up and do something else. :lol:

But I am determined now, I haven't been doing much reading lately but hey...Tescos was doing Broken for half price and I couldn't resist...just finished it at the weekend. Did you finish it? I have been looking to see if I can find your review if you had but haven't found yet it...but then again I can't even find my reading log either. :lol:

Edited by Shin

Hi CW, I haven't been on lately because everytime I come on to get to know the new layout, I give up and do something else. :lol:

But I am determined now, I haven't been doing much reading lately but hey...Tescos was doing Broken for half price and I couldn't resist...just finished it at the weekend. Did you finish it? I have been looking to see if I can find your review if you had but haven't found yet it...but then again I can't even find my reading log either. :lol:

Hello you!!

No I havent read it yet. I started but I had books I have had to read first. I am reading The Eyre Affair at present and once I get that out of the way (I am reading it for my Book Club) I will be reading Slaughter. I can't wait. Nor can I wait to compare it with you!