BCF's "20 Books Everyone Should Read" 2010

Nollaig

1. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

2. To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

3. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

4. 1984 - George Orwell

5. One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest - Ken Kessey

Frenkas, you listed the Art of War, it's something I've wanted to read for a while, is it good...??? Anybody got any suggestions on what to read next I'm seriously low on ideas...!!!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eliza1

My five favourite books I have read this year

1. The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

2. One hundred years of solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

3. Cats Eye - Margaret Atwood

4. The Imposter - Damon Galgut

5. Under the Dome - Stephen King

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - It's everything a book should be in my opinion, beautifully told and something that everyone should read not just once but many times.

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - As far as I'm concerned the best series of books ever, the continuity in the storytelling is immense and for me everytime I read them they become better.

Ash Wednesday by Ethan Hawke - I just think this book is a beautiful love story that anyone can enjoy.

Survivor by Chuck Palahnuik - Forget Fight Club for me this is his seminal work and if you only ever read one Palahnuik book (and IMO everyone should) it should be this. It makes me laugh, cry, cringe and grin from ear to ear.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin - Possibly the greatest love story ever told.

Edited by my-sweetheart-is-drunk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody! I'm an new member so thought id add my own top ten books that iv'e read in the past year!

1.The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larrson (brilliantly written Blomkvist is my man crush haha)

2.The Road - Cormac McCarthy (bleak and depressing post-apocalyptic fiction that worked amazingly and showed the human spirit and resolve)

3.Red Riding - 1977 (the only un-filmed book but by the best and grittiest the 2nd book of the quadrilogy but the best)

4.No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy (an awesome exploration of what makes a man!)

5.American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (Again an amazing study into the psychology of the human mind a must for people who enjoy completely sick, gritty and disturbed human beings)

• 3 weeks later...

I like Buddhism books most of

1.2500 Years of Buddhism By P.V. Bapat, S. Radhakrishnan

2.A Buddhist Guide to the Power Places of the Kathmandu Valley by Keith Dowman

3.A Catalogue of Tibetan Thankas in the Indian Museum by Sipra Chakravarti

This is meant to be a list of books you recommend everyone should read - is that what you're suggesting?

• 3 months later...

1. Jules Verne - The Mysterious Island

My favourite read of 2010. It is signature Jules Verne and beyond that, and the various occasions on which I've extolled his works, I have nothing more to repeat.

2. Victor Hugo - Les Misérables

Les Mis. That's enough said.

3. Lew Wallace - Ben Hur

The movie with Charlton Heston was 45% as good as the book itself. The book is magical.

4. George Orwell - 1984

This is the scariest thing I have ever read. No it doesn't have zombies. Sometimes, ideas are scarier than monsters.

5. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - The Little Prince

One of the most memorable books I have ever read. I will return to it every year just to remind myself the importance of dreaming.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suppose the rise of I books and the Kindle have made a lot of older books available for free. Inevitably 20 desirable novels will stem from these classics Authors such as

Raphael Sabatini, John Buchan, Dickens, Ballatine, Thomas Hardy will figure high on these lists because their stories by any measure are enduring. I think it is a shame that authors such as Neville Shute, C S Forester, Pearl Buck and Dennis Wheatley have left the scene and for this reason will not make the list. I suppose that any list of books at this time belongs to our modern crop of modern a authors and there are plenty to choose from Ken Follett, Bernard Cornwell, Len Deighton, David Baldacci etc

Just seen this, it's harder than I thought but I would have to say -

1. Human Traces - Sebastian Faulkes

2. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

3. The Host - Stephenie Meyer

4. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulkes

5. The Famous Five Series- Enid Blyton

• 2 months later...

Hi guys !

new member here :)

love listing things ^^, here's my share of bookjoy :

1/ Stephen King's "It"

2/ Chris Cleaves "The other hand"

3/ Michael Ende "The neverending story"

4/ Alexandre Dumas "The vicomte of Bragelonne"

5/ Victor Hugo "The man who laughs" => totally amazing...

of course, the list just changes from hour to hour... ;)

• 3 years later...

I don't remember how I came across this thread, but I've been thinking about this for a day or two. I want to bump the thread up as we have quite a few new members on here who might like to contribute to the list! :)

I'm still thinking about my five noms... 

Okay, mine are:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein 

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjørnsen

Yes, these are all among my favorite books but I was also trying to think of my list in terms of variety in genres and themes:

AToTC is a great classic and a love story on a whole other level

TSotW is a mix of different genres, and it's written so beautifully 

TAoRitR is a great novel and funny, too, and it's unique in that it's told from the point-of-view of a dog

TEA is incredibly witty and innovative and personally I think it's a great example of fantasy fiction

BtGI is about not the most ordinary of people but it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a whole lot of fun. And also, it's outside the 'English literature canon', i.e. it's Norwegian. 

Edited by frankie