Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie, it's possibly the worst wish list ever written, because it contains only a very small number of the books I want! For some reason I've never gotten around to writing a proper wish list; most of it is in my head.

There is an endless list of classic books that I want so I don't bother adding those because there are too many. And I often just plain forget to add books from recommendations I receive here. For example, I was trying to look for the book you recommended about Ted Bundy at the book fair, but do you think I could remember the name of the author or the book? :lol: I was so annoyed I hadn't written it down. :D

I really want to make up a more comprehensive wish list, but I'm not sure I could fit it all in that one post. :D

I have to say that it's a really pathetic list, especially since it's you, Kylie, a fellow bookaholic! :D I was really puzzled by the shortness of

Maybe you could just not add any classics because you know you'll buy all of them if and when possible, and could just write down the contemporary titles?

Usually when I get a recommendation on here (or anywhere for that matter), I go straight to my reading list and write the title down, and the person who's recommended it, so I'll have an easier time connecting people with books, you know. It really pays off eventhough it might seem OCD.

For example, I was trying to look for the book you recommended about Ted Bundy at the book fair, but do you think I could remember the name of the author or the book? :lol: I was so annoyed I hadn't written it down.

So you were at the book fair already?? Yippee!!!!!! :D Can't wait to see what you got!! :D (The title is A Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule, not that it helps now though...)

I really want to make up a more comprehensive wish list, but I'm not sure I could fit it all in that one post. :(

:D I know what you mean! My list isn't actually quite that long but just in case I'll run out of space sometime in the future I always delete the ones I've managed to purchase or borrow from the library so more space is created.

I have to say that it's a really pathetic list, especially since it's you, Kylie, a fellow bookaholic!

:D I'm rather embarrassed that you saw the list. :lol:

Usually when I get a recommendation on here (or anywhere for that matter), I go straight to my reading list and write the title down, and the person who's recommended it, so I'll have an easier time connecting people with books, you know. It really pays off eventhough it might seem OCD.

I'll try to get in the habit of doing that. I looked carefully through the crime section hoping that the Ted Bundy book would jump out at me. I saw some Ann Rule books and I thought the name was familiar so I looked extra carefully at hers, but I don't remember seeing Stranger Beside Me, so maybe I didn't miss out after all. Phew!

I'm writing up the list of books now so I'll post it shortly. :D

Below are the non-fiction books I bought at the bookfair. The ones in green will be added to my TBR pile.

Better Homes and Gardens: Container Gardening

Harry Blamires: The Penguin Guide to Plain English

Bill Bryson: African Diary

Bill Bryson: Notes from a Big Country

Judith Butcher: Copy-Editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Authors and Publishers

Mark Dunn: Zounds!

HW Fowler: Fowler's Modern English Usage

Nick Hornby: The Polysyllabic Spree

Stephen Murray-Smith: Right Words

PJ O'Rourke: Holidays in Hell

John Peck & Martin Coyle: Literary Terms and Criticism

Hunter S Thompson: Generation of Swine: Gonzo Papers Vol 2

Martin Toseland: A Steroid Hit the Earth

Lynne Truss: Talk to the Hand

Don Watson: Death Sentence

I also bought newer, nicer editions of the following books that are already on my TBR pile:

Philip Pullman: Northern Lights trilogy

Alexander McCall Smith: The Kalahari Typing School for Men

Alexander McCall Smith: Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

And I bought two doubles, but they were included in trilogies, and I needed the other books:

William Gibson: Neuromancer

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #2: Truckers

And two books for family members:

Pam Ayres: All Pam's Poems

Ken Bruen: A White Arrest

Edited by Kylie
Fixed alphabetical order

Below are the fiction books I bought at the bookfair. I did pretty well, but also managed to restrain myself a little. :D In purple are the books from my lists (1001 Books to Read Before You Die, 1001 Children's Books, Rory's List and Dystopians).

Louisa May Alcott: Little Women (1001, 1001C)

Richard Bach: Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Stephen Baxter: Manifold #1 - Time

Stephen Baxter: Manifold #2 - Space

Stephen Baxter: Manifold #3 - Origin

Aphra Behn: Oroonoko (1001)

Alfred Bester: The Demolished Man

Angela Carter: The Magic Toyshop

Brett Easton Ellis: American Psycho (1001)

Janet Evanovich: Hard Eight

Janet Evanovich: Ten Big Ones

Philip Jose Farmer: Dayworld (Dystopian)

Philip Jose Farmer: Dayworld Rebel (Dystopian)

William Gibson: Count Zero (Dystopian)

William Gibson: Mona Lisa Overdrive (Dystopian)

Robert A Heinlein: Starship Troopers

PD James: The Children of Men (Dystopian)

Jonathan Lethem: Gun, with Occasional Music (Dystopian)

Jeff Lindsay: Dexter in the Dark

Jon McGregor: If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

Haruki Murakami: Norwegian Wood

William F Nolan & George Clayton Johnson: Logan's Run (Dystopian)

Otto Penzler (ed): Pulp Fiction: The Crimefighters

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #4 - Mort

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #8 - Guards! Guards!

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #16 - Soul Music

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #17 - Interesting Times

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #1 - Truckers (1001C)

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #3 - Wings

Anne Rice: The Vampire Lestat

William Shakespeare: The Sonnets

Shel Silverstein: A Light in the Attic

Kate Summerscale: The Suspicions of Mr Whicher

Kurt Vonnegut Jr: Breakfast of Champions (Dystopian)

Sarah Waters: Fingersmith

Tim Winton: That Eye, the Sky

PG Wodehouse: A Damsel in Distress

PG Wodehouse: Bachelors Anonymous

PG Wodehouse: Barmy in Wonderland

PG Wodehouse: Big Money

PG Wodehouse: Do Butlers Burgle Banks?

PG Wodehouse: Hot Water

PG Wodehouse: Ice in the Bedroom

PG Wodehouse: Something Fishy

Edited by Kylie

Great looking lists, Kylie! :lol: I really enjoy Bill Bryson, and I remember reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull years ago and loving it. Also, woo for Shell Silverstein! His poems are excellent :D.

Have you read Little Women before?

I think, instead of choosing another book, I'll just read your lists next Kylie :D

Fantastic haul of books ... a bagful of Pratchett's and Wodehouse's .. couldn't be better.

I hope you enjoy 'The Magic Toyshop' .. it's probably the most bonkers book I've read this year (do you say 'bonkers' in Australia?), very quirky and unusual.

I do mean to read a lot more Angela Carter books but ... 'so little time, so many books'!!'. Her covers are so good that I want to buy the books instead of loaning them from the library and hubby is doing a 10 mile detour around any bookshop at the moment!!

Kylie, is that truly all?? Wow, you've certainly managed to go easy on this one! :(

- American Psycho is one tough read, I wonder how you'll like it.

- Glad to see you scored some Evanovich titles, I know you wanted them bad :D

- Nice job on getting a Dexter novel!!

- I hope you like Norwegian wood, that's on my TBR as well

- Excellent haul with the Pratchetts and Wodehouses :D

- Also happy to see you got The Vampire Lestat and The Sonnets

- I'm happiest about The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and Fingersmith, can't wait to read the former one myself, and I really really truly hope you like Fingersmith, the story is brilliant and Waters writes so beautifully :D

Did you get rid of any of your read books while at the fair? How was it over all? Got pics?? :lol:

Edit: I just realised, you've now bought more books than me this year:exc:

Edited by frankie

Great looking lists, Kylie! :D I really enjoy Bill Bryson, and I remember reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull years ago and loving it. Also, woo for Shell Silverstein! His poems are excellent :D.

Have you read Little Women before?

No, I haven't read Little Women before. Terrible, I know! There were a lot of classics there that I wanted, but most of them were older editions. This edition is Penguins Classics, and is practically brand new. :(

I also have Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Siverstein. I should really bump those up the pile because they won't take long to read and should be a lot of fun. :lol:

I love Bill Bryson too. I must have almost all of his books now, I think. I was happy to find African Diary and Notes from a Big Country.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I've been dithering for a while about whether or not I wanted to read it.

I think, instead of choosing another book, I'll just read your lists next Kylie :D

That brought a smile to my face. You have such awesome taste in books that it's quite a compliment to me to read that. :D

Fantastic haul of books ... a bagful of Pratchett's and Wodehouse's .. couldn't be better.

I hope you enjoy 'The Magic Toyshop' .. it's probably the most bonkers book I've read this year (do you say 'bonkers' in Australia?), very quirky and unusual.

I do mean to read a lot more Angela Carter books but ... 'so little time, so many books'!!'. Her covers are so good that I want to buy the books instead of loaning them from the library and hubby is doing a 10 mile detour around any bookshop at the moment!!

Yes, we say 'bonkers'. :lol: Now you've got me really intrigued to read it! The covers are indeed beautiful. I was so happy to find this edition because it looks brand new and has a gorgeous cover. :(

I wasn't too sure about buying all those Wodehouse's because I already have heaps waiting to be read. But I just couldn't resist them! And I was really pleased to fill in a few more holes in my Discworld series. Terry Pratchett is so popular that his books get snapped up very quickly. :D

What a list, Kylie! Little Women is one of my favorite books, but other than that and Janet Evanovich's I haven't read many on your list. PG Wodehouse has been an author who's name I keep hearing around and have been considering trying so I'm anxious to hear how you like his work. :D Glad you had such a successful trip!

Oooh I'm glad you picked up a good copy of Little Women then, Kylie, you're in for a treat! :D You should then try to see the film version with June Alison (I think that's who's in it).

Silverstein's 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' is probably one of my most favorite contemporary poetry books Kylie and I agree, you should bump them up - they are so much fun!

Kylie, is that truly all?? Wow, you've certainly managed to go easy on this one!

Yes, I definitely bought less than I did last time, but I think that's mainly because I'm being a little more picky with what I buy. There were heaps of other books there from my lists, but I didn't buy them because they either had movie tie-in covers or other problems.

I'm trying to be more careful with which editions I buy, especially because I now find myself buying better editions of books I already own. I'm trying to get it right the first time 'round now.

I should mention that I also bought 6 Baby-Sitter's Club books. They're from my favourite childhood series. I just didn't bother to list them.

- American Psycho is one tough read, I wonder how you'll like it.

- Glad to see you scored some Evanovich titles, I know you wanted them bad :D

- Nice job on getting a Dexter novel!!

I've resisted reading American Psycho for a long time because it sounds a bit too disturbing for me. I guess I'm feeling braver now. :lol:

I could have bought more Janet Evanovich's but I've decided to only read up to #10 for now. As much as I enjoy them, they are a bit samey and because I don't know when the series is going to end I might just wait for a while before buying any more.

I was thrilled to find the Dexter book, even though it's a different size to the first book I own. I still have to find the second and fourth books in the series. :D

- I hope you like Norwegian wood, that's on my TBR as well

- Excellent haul with the Pratchetts and Wodehouses :D

- Also happy to see you got The Vampire Lestat and The Sonnets

It was great to find the Murakami and Shakespeare at such cheap prices and in as-new condition. The Wodehouses and Pratchetts will keep me going for quite a while. I was particularly pleased to find Mort, because that's the next one I want to read in the Discworld series.

- I'm happiest about The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and Fingersmith, can't wait to read the former one myself, and I really really truly hope you like Fingersmith, the story is brilliant and Waters writes so beautifully :(

I wasn't really sure about buying The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. I couldn't remember if I'd read good reviews about it or not. But it sounds promising that you're happy about it! And with all the talk of Sarah Waters around here lately, I was thrilled to find Fingersmith!

Did you get rid of any of your read books while at the fair? How was it over all? Got pics??

Edit: I just realised, you've now bought more books than me this year

I took my camera but just didn't get around to taking any pics, sorry! It was very good overall. I love seeing so many people passionate about books gathered together in one place.

I got rid of one full bag of books that were a mixture of books I've read but won't read again, and books that I've changed my mind about wanting to read. I saw some of the books at the fair that I donated last time, which was a bit weird!

Oh no! I don't want to buy more books than you! I'm sure you'll take the lead again in no time. :D

What a list, Kylie! Little Women is one of my favorite books, but other than that and Janet Evanovich's I haven't read many on your list. PG Wodehouse has been an author who's name I keep hearing around and have been considering trying so I'm anxious to hear how you like his work. :lol: Glad you had such a successful trip!

Thanks Abby! Wodehouse is a terrific author. He's written probably over 100 books, but you can't go wrong with any of them, in my opinion. They're all delightful reads, and very funny. They're quite similar in terms of plot etc, so if you read one you will get a pretty good idea of whether you would like to read more. :D

Oooh I'm glad you picked up a good copy of Little Women then, Kylie, you're in for a treat! :D You should then try to see the film version with June Alison (I think that's who's in it).

Silverstein's 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' is probably one of my most favorite contemporary poetry books Kylie and I agree, you should bump them up - they are so much fun!

Thanks Peace! I think I've seen the version with Winona Ryder in it. Is that the same one? Thankfully I don't remember too much of the plot, so it should be a relatively new experience for me.

I might start reading a Silverstein today if I get a chance. :(

Thanks Peace! I think I've seen the version with Winona Ryder in it. Is that the same one? Thankfully I don't remember too much of the plot, so it should be a relatively new experience for me.

I might start reading a Silverstein today if I get a chance. :lol:

Excellent idea on the Silverstein! They'll be quick reads.

I've not seen the Winona Ryder version, but I adore the 1949 film with June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Leigh and Peter Lawford :D.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm way behind on my mini-reviews...I was going to try and write a few lines on each of the 21 books I need to review, but I just can't be bothered. So here are a few thoughts on a select few books that I've read recently.

Awards for the funniest books go to:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

A Steroid Hit the Earth by Martin Toseland

All three had me laughing out loud (which is quite a feat) and the last one had me positively howling with laughter to the point where I was crying.

Three Men in a Boat is a charming tale of three men who take a holiday on the Thames. Much hilarity ensues. I already have Three Men on a Bummel (the sequel) winging its way to me from across the world.

Falling Up is a collection of illustrated poetry which is very clever and very humorous. A great one to read aloud to children or adults, as they're enjoyable for all ages.

A Steroid Hit the Earth is a collection of real typos and misprints collected by the author. I cannot stress how funny this book is (one of the quotes from the section on Corrections now graces my signature).

I will definitely be seeking out more works by all three authors.

Edited by Kylie

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes on. It's just so clever! Things like the 'speling vyrus' and the different book operating systems are marvellously imaginative. I won't be waiting so long to read the next installment!

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke

An entertaining and thought-provoking read from my favourite sci-fi author. There was quite a nice build up of suspense at a couple of different times to keep me interested. :irked:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

An awesome book and obviously thoroughly researched. The atmosphere and characters were brilliantly written and very interesting. I never got tired of reading about the characters and their lives. The time period is one of my favourites to read about. And there was just the right amount of detail; not so much as to be off-putting, but enough to get you right into the story. Hard to put down and highly recommended.

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes on. It's just so clever! Things like the 'speling vyrus' and the different book operating systems are marvellously imaginative. I won't be waiting so long to read the next installment!

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke

An entertaining and thought-provoking read from my favourite sci-fi author. There was quite a nice build up of suspense at a couple of different times to keep me interested. :irked:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

An awesome book and obviously thoroughly researched. The atmosphere and characters were brilliantly written and very interesting. I never got tired of reading about the characters and their lives. The time period is one of my favourites to read about. And there was just the right amount of detail; not so much as to be off-putting, but enough to get you right into the story. Hard to put down and highly recommended.

Loved Crimson Petal as well Kylie. My younger brother is reading it right now and loving it.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Sebastian Bach

One of those fable-type stories that never seem to do much for me. It reminded me a little of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (not a good thing). I enjoy a good fable, but I wish the story could be more interesting, or fleshed out a bit more. This was probably never going to go down well with me though, considering I dislike seagulls quite a lot, having been pooped on by them too many times. :irked: The photos weren't exactly impressive either.

African Diary by Bill Bryson

A really interesting little read. It's shocking the way so many people have to live and yet we never hear about it. Oh sure, we know all about the 'starving people in Africa' but how often do we really stop to have a good think about it? It's just terrible what they have to endure. On a lighter note, I hope Bill Bryson does a longer book about Africa one day. I love his travel writing.

Howl and Other Poems by Allan Ginsberg

I was really hoping to enjoy this because I'm a big fan of Jack Kerouac (another beat writer and a friend of Ginsberg). Sadly, I just couldn't bring myself to like it. I need to be able to understand poetry in order to enjoy it, and I didn't understand most of this. What a shame. I feel very uncool. ;)

Loved Crimson Petal as well Kylie. My younger brother is reading it right now and loving it.

That's great to hear. :irked: Did you ever read the follow-up called The Apple? I was thinking about it, but I think I'm OK with how the story ended. I don't really feel the need to chase up the characters again (besides, I think The Apple might be more of a prequel - I'm not sure).

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

This is a short and reasonably gripping book concerning a young Swedish girl in WWII. Nicely written, and I liked the little section at the end pointing out which parts of the story were based on fact.

I've read several books in the last few years about children in war: The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, I am David, The Diary of Anne Frank, and now Number the Stars. All of the stories are from various points of view (and even different countries) but all tell similarly heartbreaking stories of the loss of the innocence of youth. :irked:

Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman

Another one about the innocence of youth giving way too early as the harsh realities of life take root. This is set in a world where black people (Crosses) reign over white people (noughts). Noughts have only recently stopped being slaves, and now they're fighting for more equality. Yes, it's our own world reversed. The two main characters, Callum (a nought) and Sephy (a Cross) are in love and they try to fight against the rest of the world who are determined to keep them apart.

The story is interesting, and the ending was a little shocking for a young adult novel. The style of writing wasn't exactly great, and I found some of the characters' actions very frustrating. There's one particular incident where Sephy takes such a long time to click to something when it should have been obvious to her from a much earlier point.

Anyway, it's a good story, and I definitely want to read the other three books (which is just as well because I've already bought them!)

That's great to hear. :irked: Did you ever read the follow-up called The Apple? I was thinking about it, but I think I'm OK with how the story ended. I don't really feel the need to chase up the characters again (besides, I think The Apple might be more of a prequel - I'm not sure).

I'm yet to read that one. Its on my list, however, like you, I had no burning desire to read it, despite how much I enjoyed the Crimson Petal.

Like you Kylie, I've read a lot of books about the war (WWII especially), I'm wanting to read Helene Berrs book 'Journal'. I can't say that the books are enjoyable .. especially the true accounts, but you learn a lot from them and it does make you appreciate what they went through and how easy we have it in comparison.

Have you ever seen the dramatisation of Anne Frank that was on the BBC last year Kylie? It was excellent, the girl who played Anne was fantastic.

I've looked up 'Number the Stars' on my library catalogue and though they have got some books by Lois they haven't got that one yet .. I'll keep checking though.

'Noughts & Crosses' is one I've had my eye on for a while, since it was in the top 100 of the BBC's 'The Big Read' (God, it sounds as if I'm on their payroll .. I'm not, unfortunately!). The library has got a copy so I'll have to get it out at some point.

You've reminded me also that I need to read some more Jasper Fforde. I've only read the first one (of the Thursday Next books) and have been meaning to read some more for ages.

• 1 month later...

I am, once again, very behind in writing reviews. :D

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes along.

I'm interested to see where it goes now that Jason has been turned.

8/10

Getting the Girl by Markus Zusak

A lovely surprise present from a wonderful friend. :o I read the book as soon as I got it and wasn't disappointed. Zusak is an excellent writer and has a somewhat unique writing style, I think. I'm not sure that he'll ever be able to write anything on a par with The Book Thief again, but that won't stop me reading everything he writes. And I love that this was set in my home town. :(8/10

Hating Alison Ashley by Robin Klein

This is one of the first ever books I remember having to read for school, back in year 5 or 6. I remember liking it then, so I took the opportunity to grab a cheap copy when I saw it secondhand.

I was a little worried though that it would turn out to be a dated book and that it would ruin my original happy memories. However, nothing of the kind happened. If anything I appreciate the lovely story-telling even more now.

It's a terrific young adult novel about an attention-seeking hypochondriac girl who likes to think she's so much better than everyone else around her...until a new posh girl starts at school. 8/10