• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title: Moral Disorder

Author: Margaret Atwood

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Rating: 2/5

Synopsis (from blurb on book cover):

Margaret Atwood has frequently been cited as one of the foremost writers of our time. Moral Disorder, her new work of fiction, could be seen as a collection of eleven stories that is almost a novel or a novel broken up into eleven stories. It resembles a photograph album - a series of clearly observed moments that trace the course of a life, and the lives intertwined with it - those of parents, siblings, children, friends, enemies, teachers and even animals. And as in a photograph album, times change; every decade is here, from the 1930s through the 50s, 60s and 70s to the present day. The settings are equally varied: large cities, suburbs, farms, northern forests.

Review:

This book was an oddity for me. I hadn't read the synopsis in the book jacket, and had no idea what the book was about, so at first it seemed like a series of disjointed short stories, all told from the female perspective, but after the sixth story/chapter, things started falling into place. I realised that the first chapter was the main character in old age, then from the second chapter onwards, we were seeing a snapshot of a different time or event in her life, moving onwards to understand how she became the person she was back in the first story.

Although there is a narrative running through the stories, my feeling was that they were really about how we perceive, judge and rationalise people and events within our own minds, giving a very introverted take on the life of an individual. Once I was able to embrace this concept (at chapter six), I could better appreciate the book, and I actually went back and skim read the first five chapters again before finishing it.

Having said that, the first chapter is still a bit of an enigma to me; is this supposed to be an alternate world or society? I still don't understand the relevance of the political references in the first chapter and how it fits in with the rest of the stories, which all seem to be much more "normal" and in line with our own society.

I'm still not sure if I enjoyed the book, although once I understood what was going on, I did feel more encouraged to continue with it. It did make me think about the difference between what we think in our own minds and how we express and portray ourselves to others, and that made it an interesting and thought provoking read.

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: Shades of Grey

Author: Jasper Fforde

Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

No one could cheat the Colourman and the colour test. What you got was what you were, forever. Your life, career and social standing decided right there and then, and all worrisome life-uncertainties eradicated forever. You knew who you were, what you would do, where you would go, and what was expected of you. In return, you simply accepted your rung upon the Chromatic ladder, and assiduously followed the Rulebook. Your life was mapped. And all in the time it takes to bake a tray of scones . . .

Eddie Russett lives comfortably in a world where fortune, career and ultimate destiny are rigidly dictated by the colours you can see. Until he falls in love with a Grey named Jane, and starts to question every aspect of the Rulebook.

Review:

What do I want from a Jasper Fforde book?

1. Surreal and fantastical yet still realistic and recognisable characters and settings.

2. Excellent storytelling that makes me desperate to keep reading.

3. Funny, witty and clever writing, but that is still accessible and inclusive.

So does Shades of Grey deliver? Yes, Yes and YES! I loved it. My first laugh out loud moment was on page 8 so it was off to a great start, and I think in total there were four occasions when I audibly laughed, but there were plenty of chuckles, knowing grins and smirks along the way.

Fforde has created a whole new environment which while retaining elements of the landscape we live in, provides a whole new way of looking at the world and the colour around us. In a society where your perception of colour decides your rank and role within it, there are obviously parallels with race and class in our own world, and certainly gives you pause for thought about these issues whilst still being entertaining fiction. It's amazing how much detail and depth there is to the characters, the physical environment and the world that is created.

Any complaints? Only a couple of niggles really. I'm still not sure I understand what LeapBack actually is/was, and perhaps the development of a couple of the relationships between characters were a tad predictable, but there were plenty of other completely unexpected elements to allow these to be forgiven.

The story keeps going right to the last page, and sets us up nicely for rest of the series (of which we are promised at least two more books), although that, of course, means more (not so) patient waiting for the next instalment!

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: The Immortals: Evermore

Author: Alyson No�l

Publisher: Macmillan

Synopsis: (from amazon.co.uk)

Seventeen-year-old Ever is the sole survivor of a car crash that killed her entire family. Living with her aunt in Southern California, she's plagued by the ability to hear the thoughts of those around her, and haunted by the ghost of her little sister. She tries to tune everyone out, shunning her old lifestyle as the pretty, popular cheerleader, but somehow she can't hide from Damen, the new guy at school. Stunningly handsome, clever and not a little bit intimidating, there's something about him that doesn't quite add up. Ever realises he's hiding something, but nothing could prepare her for the truth - especially when the truth involves past lives, murderous enemies, everlasting love and the secret of eternal youth . . .

Review:

There is a prevalence of teenage supernatural books being published in the wake of the success of the Twilight series, and this is another one to add to the list. Parallels with Twilight repeatedly crop up throughout, with a young teenage heroine who is new in town, drawn to the incredibly beautiful, mysterious, intelligent male lead, who leaves subtle (and some not so subtle) clues that all is not as it should be.

To be honest, while it was entertaining enough, there was nothing particularly original about the story and certainly nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd. While I will look out for the next instalment in the series which is due out later this year, I certainly won't be rushing out to buy it as soon as it's published, and will probably just get it from the library.

I think it you like this sort of book (which I seem to have become slightly addicted to since joining this forum!), then you'll probably read it and it will be diverting enough, but it you're looking for a new perspective then you're likely to be disappointed.

Edited by Janet

Title: Fallen

Author: Lauren Kate

Publisher: Doubleday

Rating: 3/5

Synopsis: (from http://www.fallenbooks.co.uk)

What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours? After the mysterious fire, 17 year-old Luce's parents send her away to reform school. The grim, harsh, run-down Sword and Cross is a world away from her previous wealthy school, full of high-flyers & socialites. Luce finds herself instantly & inexplicably drawn to Daniel - gorgeous and intelligent - but she can't help thinking he hates her half the time. Meanwhile there's the charming Cam, who can't do enough for her. Without realising, Luce is being lured into grave danger. She has no idea of the world which exists in parallel to her own, but is about to find out...

Review:

Yet another foray into teenage fantasy books, and this was a pleasant surprise as I was beginning to wonder if I'd become jaded by a surfeit of them, but I found myself completely engrossed in this story. Intriguing characters and with a niggling creepiness to the story which gradually builds to a thrilling crescendo before an epilogue to set up the rest of the series.

I loved the relationships between the characters and there were some genuine surprising plot twists and developments. A very satisfying piece of story telling on the whole, although sometimes I found myself thinking "have you never seen a horror movie? DON'T DO THAT!!!!"

In fact, my only minor complaint about the book (but it's more of a general moan) is what happened to books that deliver a complete story? Don't get me wrong, I love series and I devour them with glee, but I'd much rather have a book that could be read as a single story, yet a lot of serial books I'm reading lately, whilst leaving me wanting more, leave a slight taste of disappointment when the final chapter or epilogue tries to entice you with some ideas of where the story will continue.

As a final word, my copy of the book has a very short blurb on the back which gives nothing away, but if you read the full synopsis from either amazon.co.uk or waterstones.com, then you will find out something that I think is a spoiler, so beware!

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: Agaton Sax and the Diamond Thieves

Author: Nils-Olof Franz�n

Publisher: Andre Deutsch

Synopsis: (from the book cover)

When Stud Slogan, ace criminal, walked into the office of Agaton Sax, newspaper editor, he came up against the amateur detective with everything, cool intelligence, iron nerve and unwavering determination.

The cracking of Stud Slogan's code-messages puts Agaton Sax on the track of the priceless diamond, the Koh-mih-Nor. The hunt takes him to the headquarters of Octopus P. Scott in London. Tn the duel of wits which follows, Scotland Yard is often more of a hindrance than a help. The Yard, for instance, is baffled by two Agaton Saxes, one entering the story behind a pair of wicked looking revolvers.

But the real Agaton Sax is a man with whom one can never, ever trifle. Grimly he follows the trail which leads him, inevitably to the diamond.

Quentin Blake's witty black and while line drawings add to the fun.

Review:

What a lovely, nostalgic Sunday afternoon read that was! While reminiscing about books from childhood the other evening, I found that my local library had a selection of books (most now out of print and unobtainable) in its reserve archive, so I put in a reservation for a few books, including this one. When I mentioned it on another thread, someone reminded me that Kenneth Williams had read the series on Jackanory, and the whole way through I could picture and hear him in my head so it was just like being five years old again. A fabulous reminder of childhood reading.

Edited by Janet

Title: Dark Lover

Author: J. R. Ward

Publisher: Piatkus Books

Rating: 1/5

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There also exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Among them, none relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead...Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there before, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes to her at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both...

Review:

Apologies to all those who recommended this book (and the series), but it just wasn't my cup of tea. This is exactly the type of vampire/supernatural book that always put me off the genre in the first place. For me, it felt like a vampire Mills & Boon "romance" and I just didn't enjoy it.

Admittedly, I haven't finished it, but after 120 or so pages, I can't face any more, and will be returning it to the library at the earliest possible convenience.

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: Howards End is on the Landing

Author: Susan Hill

Publisher: Profile Books

Rating: 4/5

Early one autumn afternoon in pursuit of an elusive book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books, forsaking new purchases in order to get to know her own collection again. A book which is left on a shelf for a decade is a dead thing, but it is also a chrysalis, packed with the potential to burst into new life. Wandering through her house that day, Hill’s eyes were opened to how much of that life was stored in her home, neglected for years. Considering everything from Macbeth and The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy through Virginia Woolf, Dickens and Roald Dahl, Howards End is on the Landing charts the journey of one of the nation’s most accomplished authors as she revisits the conversations, libraries and bookshelves of the past that have informed a lifetime of reading and writing.

Review:

This was a wonderfully satisfying book! Reading it felt like reading the best book blog ever written, by a friend whose stories and anecdotes you've never heard before. It is not a "Forty books everyone should read" or a sycophantic trawl through "All the amazing famous writers I've ever met", it really is just about someone thinking aloud about all their favourite books and authors, and how they came to love them. It never talks down to the reader, but talks about the time and place for different genres and styles, from children's picture books to poetry anthologies, and from spy thrillers to classics, and from Shakespeare to Roald Dahl. I loved being able to exclaim, "Yes, I agree!" or, "No. Are you mad, woman?"

But what I really got out of it, was an insight into the mind of another reader, and it made me contemplate the books I've read, those waiting patiently on my shelves to be read, and the books and authors I will buy or borrow in the future. As soon as I'd read the last page, I turned back to the first and started flicking back through again. In fact, it was so good, I sat read out whole sections to my OH last night, and discussing some of the books and authors included (and excluded) from Hill's reading.

My copy is borrowed from the library, and I will definitely be buying my own hardback copy to treasure and to refer back to, as there are some great suggestions in there too! I can't recommend this highly enough for any one who loves reading - so that means everyone here :D

Edited by chesilbeach

Is it the sort of book one could dip in and out of a chapter at a time between other reading, do you think?

You could definitely dip in and out a chapter at a time, but I suspect, if you're anything like me, you won't want to - it's a seriously addictive book, I just didn't want to put it down.

• 3 weeks later...

Title: Ox-Tales: Earth

Author: Various authors

Publisher: Profile Books

Synopsis: (from waterstones.com)

"Ox-Tales" is a set of four compelling and collectible books, each themed on one of the elements. 'Water' features stories by Esther Freud, David Park, Heri Kunzru, ZoA" Heller, Michel Faber, William Boyd, Joanna Trollope, Giles Foden and Michael Morpurgo, and a poem by Vikram Seth. The idea behind "Ox-Tales" is to raise money for Oxfam and along the way to highlight the charity's work in project areas: agriculture in Earth, water projects in Water, conflict aid in Fire, and climate change in Air. The four books will play a central role in the first ever Oxfam Bookfest, a new annual event launching in July 2009. Created in partnership with Hay Festival, the program includes more than 300 events across the UK.

Review:

I've thoroughly enjoyed my ventures into short stories over the last few years, and I so wanted to enjoy this book what with some of my favourite authors contributing and it being sold in aid of Oxfam, but unfortunately, I found it rather unsatisfying on the whole. The Earth collection included one poem, eight short stories, and one extract from a work in progress. Of these, I did enjoy the Rose Tremain story, and as she's an author I've only read one book by, I was pleased to find I liked this contribution, as I have another book on my TBR list, and lots of recommendations for her others, so I will definitely be reading more. I also loved the extract called "Telescope" by Jonathan Buckley, although I've never actually heard of him, the extract was the most intriguing piece in the collection, and I definitely want to read the book when it's published!

Despite not being particularly inspired by this one, I think I will probably get the others, as they are only �5 each and some of that goes to Oxfam, plus I want to see what some of the other authors I admire have contributed, but I have lowered my expectations after this instalment and will be on the look out for some other short story collections by individual authors, as these have been more rewarding.

Edited by Janet

Title: Cranford

Author: Elizabeth Gaskell

Publisher: Bloomsbury

"Cranford" is the best known and most charming of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels. It is a comic portrait of an early Victorian country village and its genteel inhabitants, mostly women, whose social attitudes remain firmly unchanging against the modernising world, and whose domestic details dominate conversation. Gaskell describes the uneventful lives of Cranford's inhabitants in this witty and poignant classic which deserves to be read and re-read.

Review:

Oh dear, my second disappointment in a row! While I loved the writing style, the subject and the characters, I found I'd been spoiled by watching the BBC adaptation first. The trouble with reading the book second was that the stories and events were in a different order to the adaptation, different characters got married (or even died!) than did on the television, and whereas dialogue is obviously important in the visual medium, the style of the writing (similar to a journal) didn't include much actual dialogue and the nature of conversation is implied rather than written.

I think if I'd read the book before having seen the series I would have loved it, and although I can usually isolate the two mediums and view them as separate entities, in this case, I just couldn't achieve that. I will, however, look to read North and South by Gaskell, as I've never seen it on screen, and I think I will enjoy the style, and the period, characters and society the author writes about.

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: A Touch of Dead

Author: Charlaine Harris

Publisher: Gollancz

Synopsis: (from fantasticficiton.co.uk)

Every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written - in one special volume - from the New York Times bestselling author.

New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris has re-imagined the supernatural world with her 'spunky' (Tampa Tribune) Southern Vampire novels starring telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse. Now, for the first time, here is every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written - together in one volume.

Stories include 'Fairy Dust,' 'One Word Answer,' 'Dracula Night,' 'Lucky,' and 'Giftwrap.'

Review:

Well, I'm really not having much luck at the moment - another disappointing book! However, I should clarify that I did enjoy it, but, boy am I glad that I got it from the library and didn't spend my hard earned cash on it. A hardback book, s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to 208 pages, with a large typeface, big spacing, blank pages, a title page for each story plus a double page illustration at the start of each one, it did smack of publishing a book just to make money.

The stories themselves were entertaining enough, but overall, I found them unsatisfying, and I even felt the reveal at the conclusion of "Giftwrap" was slightly sickening. A quick and easy read for true Sookie fans only, but otherwise, one to avoid and poor value for money.

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: The Carbon Diaries 2015

Author: Saci Lloyd

Publisher: Hodder

It's January 1st, 2015, and the UK is the first nation to introduce carbon dioxide rationing, in a drastic bid to combat climate change. As her family spirals out of control, Laura Brown chronicles the first year of rationing with scathing abandon. Will her mother become one with her inner wolf? Will her sister give up her weekends in Ibiza? Does her father love the pig more than her? Can her band the dirty angels make it big? And will Ravi Datta ever notice her? In these dark days, Laura deals with the issues that really matter: love, floods and pigs. The Carbon Diaries 2015 is one girl's drastic bid to stay sane in a world unravelling at the seams.

Review:

This was a very thought provoking look at the near future in a world where the Great Storm has led to the UK becoming the first country in the world to introduce a form of rationing on energy consumption to try and combat the effects of global climate change. An innocuous enough start to the year with Laura's family having to make changes to their usual lifestyle such as virtually eliminating car use, significantly reducing the time they spend watching TV and using the computer, and cutting back on the central heating. Gradually, Laura's story reveals how much the changes affect her and her family, her friends, college, neighbourhood and society in general. Newspaper clippings, printed emails, leaflets and posters are "stuck" in, adding an authenticity to the diary format.

Incredibly accessible, this book has some great science and climatology without being too scientific, facts, figures and theories are put forward in a way that neither preaches nor condescends, and the mixture of teenage life, the changing climate and the sociological implications of the situation give a well balanced story that I can imagine causing some interesting discussions in a classroom environment.

I would say that it is definitely a YA book. I like books for this demographic, and I think that while there is plenty for adults to enjoy, there is content designed to appeal to teenagers (relationships, rebellion, peer pressure, etc.) which might put some people off, but for me I felt that it added to the authenticity of Laura's world, showing that no matter what the situation, some of the things that teenagers go through will always stay the same.

There is a second instalment "The Carbon Diaries 2017" out now, and I will definitely be looking to get hold of a copy to see how Laura and the world are coping another year into the future.

Edited by chesilbeach

Hi Chesilbeach. I see your reading Mark Kermode at the moment. Is it an autobiography or just some memorable moment from some of his interviews etc? I absolutely love the radio show on Friday's on radio 5 and think this will be a must purchase for me. Look forward to hearing your views on it.

Hi Chesilbeach. I see your reading Mark Kermode at the moment. Is it an autobiography or just some memorable moment from some of his interviews etc? I absolutely love the radio show on Friday's on radio 5 and think this will be a must purchase for me. Look forward to hearing your views on it.

It is sort of an autobiography but looking at how film has affected his life from a very early age. I too love him with Simon Mayo in their wittertainment programme on Radio 5, and I have to say, I'm about 120 pages in, and it's just like having a written form of the programme! I've laughed out loud a lot, especially when he's talking about Mamma Mia! :D I can't think it's going to get worse, so I'm already heartily recommending it to Kermode fans without having finished it.