~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

Not like the author then who takes it very very seriously (her right I suppose) to the point where she has imagined interviews with them very very funny :lol:

I didn't know that and as you said, its her right, she has created this world, I don't know about the interviews though :lol:, as long as she's happy :)

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that and as you said, its her right, she has created this world, I don't know about the interviews though :lol:, as long as she's happy :)

Oh yes, (I forgot about that pickle!) you should check out her website Weave and you'll be able to read them all! I've already done that biggrin.gif

Oh yes, (I forgot about that pickle!) you should check out her website Weave and you'll be able to read them all! I've already done that biggrin.gif

Will do, thanks Charm, thank pickle :)

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris ~ Started: 01.08.10 ~ Finished: 02.08.10

Bookcover-48.jpg

Synopsis ~

If you think your family relationships are complicated, think again: you haven't seen anything like the ones in Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being, who arrives with Eric's 'brother' in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbour (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton. In addition to the multitude of family issues complicating her life, the werewolf pack of Shreveport has asked Sookie for a special favour, and since Sookie is an obliging young woman, she agrees. But this favour for the wolves has dire results for Sookie, who is still recovering from the trauma of her abduction during the Fairy War.

'Dead in the Family' is the 10th book in the Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire) Series.

Unfortunately I did not enjoy 'Dead and Gone' (Book 9), I felt it was somewhat lacking and I am sorry to say I felt the same way about 'Dead in the Family', don't get me wrong there was some great parts especially Sookie's relationship with her family, there was definitely a lot of bridges being built which was good to read, I felt that Sookie deserved some peace of mind but she was not getting any . Sookie, again, is stuck in the middle of another fight but you get to point that you feel, how many more supes can Sookie possibly meet?

I am a fan of the series and I am not about to give up on it, as with all books there is positives and negative aspects, and it has always been a strong series with excellent characters and Sookie is a definite favourite and as always, I am looking forward to the next book.

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris ~ Started: 01.08.10 ~ Finished: 02.08.10

Oh dear, so sorry you felt much the same as I did Weave :( Like yourself, I felt this is the second one in a row that hasn't been up to her usual standard but again, like yourself, I won't give up on it either. I really hope they pick up though :shrug:

Edited by Charm

Oh dear, so sorry you felt much the same as I did Weave :( Like yourself, I felt this is the second one in a row that hasn't been up to her usual standard but again, like yourself, I won't give up on it either. I really hope they pick up though :shrug:

Me too, its such a great series :)

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 02.08.10 ~ Finished: 05.08.10

Bookcover-49.jpg

All over the tri-state area, something strange is happening. Teenagers who die aren't staying dead. They are coming back to life, but they come back different - they stutter and their reactions to everything are slower. Termed 'living impaired' or 'differently biotic', there are lots of conspiracy theories to explain this new phenomenon. But as their numbers keep on growing, so does the discomfort of the living people in the community. When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, her best friend and star of the football team, Adam, has conflicting emotions. And when Tommy decides to try out for the football team, it sets off a chain of events that escalates into deadly violence.

'Generation Dead' is the first book in the 'Generation Dead' series by Daniel Waters.

'Generation Dead' starts three years after the first teenager who died and then returned from the dead a few hours later, as time progresses, more teenagers return from the dead, this phenomenon has only happened in America and is now wide spread in the country, most of the 'living impaired', the acceptable name for them (as opposed to other offensive names they are called, 'Zombie' being one of them ) are attending schools, have jobs, living their new life as best as they can.

The reason for only teenagers returning from dead is unknown but there is many theories surrounding the phenomenon. The living impaired have most of their motor skills, they can communicate and think, although some speak slowly, whilst others have difficulty in thinking and lack of motor skills, they all share a common goal, they want to be accepted but unfortunately they are faced with daily prejudice from the public and in some cases their own families.

As some of you may or may not know, I am a big fan of the zombie genre and 'Generation Dead' is definitely a different take on it, instead of snarling zombies, you have teenage zombies trying to cope with dying and then returning back to life, which was good to read and the story is interesting.

The only downside (which I had been told about) is the editing of the book or lack of editing, it does not occur on every page and there also grammatically errors too. One thing in particular, which might just be me being pedantic , was the fact the author kept changing the names of certain characters, they would be called by their first names on some pages and then by their surnames on some pages, it did start to annoy me but like I said, its might just me being pedantic.

Overall I did enjoy 'Generation Dead', it was different from other zombie books I have read and it has a lot of potential, I am looking forward to reading the second part, 'The Kiss of Life'.

Edited by Weave

This sounds interesting. I haven't read any zombie books yet, but this sounds quite good, goes right on my to-read-list.

Good times lopeanha! I think you will enjoy it :)

The Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 05.08.10 ~ Finished: 08.08.10

Bookcover-50.jpg

'The Kiss of Life' is the second book in the 'Generation Dead' series by Daniel Waters.

Firstly, I have not included the synopsis because it gives most of the story away and I do not want to ruin the book for anyone.

'The Kiss of Life' starts a week after the end of 'Generation Dead' with a brief recap of what happened.

The main characters, Phoebe, Adam, Karen, Tommy, Colette and Margi lives have changed in a brief space of time and they are trying to cope with these changes. In 'The Kiss of Life', we find out more about what life is like for the living impaired or as they more commonly now known, biotically different, which was as interesting to read as it was in 'Generation Dead'.

The characters are well written and are a~typical teenagers, some with a slight different, that they are in fact dead and trying to assimilate into society which in 'The Kiss of Life' is proving more difficult to do because of outside forces.

I enjoyed 'The Kiss of Life', there was a definite change I felt in the writing and also the editing had improved immensely, I did not feel like I was checking for mistakes as much as I did in 'Generation Dead'. 'The Kiss of Life' is slower in parts but its still interesting and there are some shocks along the way to keep you entertained and I am now reading 'Passing Strange', the third book in the series.

Edited by Weave

Passing Strange by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 08.08.10 ~ Finished: 11.08.10

Bookcover2-10.jpg

Synopsis ~

Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal teenager - and now that she's dead, she's still passing - this time, as alive. When her dead friends are accused of a high profile murder and forced into hiding, she has to prove their innocence. Which means doing the unthinkable and becoming the girlfriend of bionist zealot Peter Martinsburg, who she suspects of framing them. But if he finds out who Karen really is, the consequences for her will be worse than death...

'Passing Strange' is the third book in the 'Generation Dead' series by Daniel Waters.

'Passing Strange' takes a different step, in the previous two books, the story was focused on Phoebe Kendall and Adam Layman, and their dead and alive friends, one character in the previous two books who did stand out for me was Karen DeSonne, a dead girl passing as human because she looks less differently biotic than her other differently biotic friends, the other difference about Karen is the fact that she died due to suicide, she is the only known teenage suicide to return from the dead.

'Passing Strange' is Karen's story which I enjoyed reading, you finally get an insight into Karen, why she killed herself, her family’s reaction to her death and also Karen's ongoing battle with depression and even though she is differently biotic, she still suffers from bouts of depression, which I felt Daniel Water explores in a subtle but sympathetic manner which I liked reading and I think it will strike a chord with teenagers who read the book.

'Passing Strange' is definitely the strongest book of the series (so far), its more visual, Karen's narrative is honest and vulnerable at the same time, whilst showing how much love and compassion Karen has for others, differently biotic or traditionally biotic (alive).

I now patiently have to wait for the next instalment, which will hopefully be released next year.

I got Generation Dead from the library a while ago but never got the chance to read it, This review made me think I will have to get it out again and read it.

Great Review.

I don't know whether or not you saw my post on Book activties thread, but I mentioned a book on there that you might like, I have read it on my TBR pile, but I have heard some good reviews for it.

CW.

I got Generation Dead from the library a while ago but never got the chance to read it, This review made me think I will have to get it out again and read it.

Great Review.

I don't know whether or not you saw my post on Book activties thread, but I mentioned a book on there that you might like, I have read it on my TBR pile, but I have heard some good reviews for it.

CW.

Thanks CW :) which book is it? I probably can't see it for looking at it :lol:

peacefield, charm, they are really good, some of the writing is not the best in the first book but the books gets better and they have loads of potential and no snarling zombies! :lol:

Thanks CW :) which book is it? I probably can't see it for looking at it :lol:

It's called dead City by joe Mckinney

Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying - but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life - with an insatiable hunger for human flesh...Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family...There's no place to run. No place to hide. The Zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors...but he doesn't know the price he will have to pay.

I have not read it yet, but my OH bought it for me and I can't wait to read it.it sounds like it is a Brian Keene kind of novel. It seems to have to good reviews. I saw on the other thread that you loveZombie books. Gah I could talk about Zombie books all day! If you have some good recommendations let me know. I haven't read Zombie books in a while.

CW

Hey Weave, I've got a suggestion aswell. I just put this book on my wishlist and thought you might like it, too.

S. G. Browne > Breathers - A Zombie's Lament

Synopsis:

Meet Andy Warner, a recently deceased everyman and newly minted zombie. Abandoned by his friends and reviled by a society that no longer considers him human, Andy is having a bit of trouble adjusting. But all that changes when he goes to an Undead Anonymous meeting and meets a few kindred souls.

It kinda sounds like The vampire support group, just with zombies instead..

Hey Weave, I've got a suggestion aswell. I just put this book on my wishlist and thought you might like it, too.

Synopsis:

Meet Andy Warner, a recently deceased everyman and newly minted zombie. Abandoned by his friends and reviled by a society that no longer considers him human, Andy is having a bit of trouble adjusting. But all that changes when he goes to an Undead Anonymous meeting and meets a few kindred souls.

That sounds good. I hope you don't mind I have added it to my wishlist.

It's called dead City by joe Mckinney

Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying - but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life - with an insatiable hunger for human flesh...Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family...There's no place to run. No place to hide. The Zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors...but he doesn't know the price he will have to pay.

I have not read it yet, but my OH bought it for me and I can't wait to read it.it sounds like it is a Brian Keene kind of novel. It seems to have to good reviews. I saw on the other thread that you loveZombie books. Gah I could talk about Zombie books all day! If you have some good recommendations let me know. I haven't read Zombie books in a while.

CW

Thanks CW, I am sorry I had to ask which book it was hen, I am adding to it to my wishlist :) Have you read 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith 'Dawn of the Dreadfuls' by Steve Hockensmith, The Generation Dead books (as mentioned, they are good, I really enjoyed the third book), I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas by Adam Roberts :)

Synopsis:

Thanks lopeanha, its sounds great, I have added it to my wishlist :)

Dawn of the Dreadfuls' by Steve Hockensmith

I have just added that on my wishlist

thanks weave.

No problem CW :)

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame ~ Started: 11.08.10 ~ Finished: 14.08.10

Bookcover-51.jpg

Synopsis ~

One of the most celebrated works of classic literature for children, The Wind in the Willows follows Mole, Rat, Toad and Badger from one adventure to the next - in gipsy caravans, stolen sports cars, to prison and back to the Wild Wood. A story of animal cunning and human camaraderie, this remains a timeless tale nearly 100 years after its publication.

'The Wind in the Willows' is just a lovely tale and it has stood the test of time.

I always remember from the first time I read it, the chapter called 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (but I did not know the name of the chapter until I read the book this time around). I loved that chapter so much, the idea of Pan helping Little Portly and Rat and Mole hearing the music was just magical to me, secret music that they seem to forget but it stayed with them in a small way.

A lovely read, a book for sharing.

Hourglass by Claudia Gray ~ Started: 12.08.10 ~ Finished: 14.08.10

bookcover-52.jpg

Synopsis ~

Bianca will risk everything to be with Lucas.

After escaping from Evernight Academy, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and Lucas take refuge with Black Cross, a fanatical group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at their hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend – the vampire Balthazar – hiding is no longer an option.

Soon, Bianca and Lucas are on the run again, pursued not only by Black Cross, but by the powerful leaders of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they travel, Bianca can't escape her destiny.

Bianca has always believed their love could survive anything… but can it survive what's to come?

'Hourglass' is the third book in the 'Evernight' series by Claudia Gray.

'Hourglass' starts where 'Stargazer' left off, Bianca and Lucas have escaped from the now destroyed Evernight Academy and have joined the Black Cross, the vampire hunter group which Lucas was raised within, Lucas and Bianca must hide the fact that Bianca is a vampire, the Black Cross's greatest enemy and also hide from Bianca's parents and Mrs Bethany, the headmistress of Evernight Academy.

'Hourglass' is definitely the best book in the series, it was more fast moving, the story was stronger and there was shocks along the way, which I enjoyed.

The best part of the series is seeing Bianca and Lucas changing, they are getting older and making their own decisions. The book finishes on a cliffhanger, which frustrated me because the next book, 'Afterlife' is not due for release until next year.

Edited by Weave