~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weave!! ANOTHER book I have to now put on my wishlist! Well another series. Fantastic reviews as always.

My bank manager hates you!

Thanks peacefield, thanks catwoman (sorry as well :blush: )

Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill ~ Started: 14.08.10 ~ Finished: 20.08.10

bookcover-53.jpg

Synopsis ~

Some doors are better left closed . . .

In Barrington House, an upmarket block in London, there is an empty apartment. No one goes in, no one comes out. And it’s been that way for fifty years. Until the night watchman hears a disturbance after midnight and investigates. What he experiences is enough to change his life forever.

A young American woman, Apryl, arrives at Barrington House. She's been left an apartment by her mysterious Great Aunt Lillian who died in strange circumstances. Rumours claim Lillian was mad. But her diary suggests she was implicated in a horrific and inexplicable event decades ago.

Determined to learn something of this eccentric woman, Apryl begins to unravel the hidden story of Barrington House. She discovers that a transforming, evil force still inhabits the building. And the doorway to Apartment 16 is a gateway to something altogether more terrifying . . .

'Apartment 16' is the second book I have read by Adam Nevill, the first one being his debut, 'Banquet of the Damned', which I enjoyed immensely, a definite must read for anyone who enjoys a no honest supernatural story.

With 'Apartment 16', Adam Nevill has taken his writing to another level, the story is well written, the suspense builds up slowly from the first page and its hard to not stop reading, you need to know what is going to happen next.

There are genuine disturbing parts in 'Apartment 16', a book to read with all the lights on.

Apartment 16 sounds right up my street Weave. I'll have to add it to the growing wish list. Thanks :)

No problem Andrea :) Its a really good read :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Passage by Justin Cronin ~ Started: 20.08.10 ~ Finished: 29.08.10

Bookcover1-3.jpg

Synopsis ~

'It happened fast. Thirty-two minutes for one world to die, another to be born.'

First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear - of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.

As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he's done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey - spanning miles and decades - towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun.

With The Passage, award-winning author Justin Cronin has written both a relentlessly suspenseful adventure and an epic chronicle of human endurance in the face of unprecedented catastrophe and unimaginable danger. Its inventive storytelling, masterful prose, and depth of human insight mark it as a crucial and transcendent work of modern fiction.

This is my third time starting this review, my previous attempts were somewhat lacking because I really did not know what to say about 'The Passage' and also I did not want to give too much away.

'The Passage' is officially an epic read and a very adventurous one, Justin Cronin has taken a subject which is familiar to everyone (vampires) and created another aspect of the genre, which I found interesting, exciting and hooked to the very last page.

The book begins before the virus and ends 100 years after the virus with characters that are not only memorable but are identifiable, you care what happens to them, they are well written, especially their thoughts (and confusion) on what life was like before the virus.

I know I am not explaining it very well and there is better and brighter reviews out there, read them if you get the chance. There are some similarities to The Stand by Stephen King but it does not take anything away from the story, from the first page you are hooked, enjoy!

Adrian Mole – The Prostrate Years by Sue Townsend ~ Started: 29.08.10 ~ Finished: 29.08.10

Bookcover2-11.jpg

Synopsis ~

Adrian Mole is thirty-nine and a quarter. He lives in the country in a semi-detached converted pigsty with his wife Daisy and their daughter. His parents George and Pauline live in the adjoining pigsty. But all is not well. The secondhand bookshop in which Adrian works is threatened with closure. The spark has fizzled out of his marriage. His mother is threatening to write her autobiography (A Girl Called S**t). And Adrian’s nightly trips to the lavatory have become alarmingly frequent. As his troubles multiply, a drunken call to old flame Dr Pandora Braithwaite (BA, MA, PhD, MP and Junior Minister) awakens memories of what might have been and causes Adrian to wonder: is Pandora the only one who can possibly save him?

I am a massive fan of the Adrian Mole books, I have lost count how many times I have re~read the books. Adrian Mole ~ The Prostate Years finds Adrian now almost 40, married with a daughter (as well as two sons, Glenn serving with the army in Afghanistan and William, who lives with his mother in Nigeria) and lives next door to his parents in the piggery. As always with Adrian his unusual family are causing endless problems, his marriage is not working, his daughter rules their home and her school, the bookstore where Adrian works is about to close and Adrian has some health concerns.

What I love most about the Adrian Mole books is their humour and how they show all aspects of family life, my favourite character is George Mole, Adrian's Dad, whose one liners are memorable throughout all the books, in 'The Prostate Years', you see a softer side to him.

A funny, poignant read, enjoy!

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Passage, Weave. I've been a little unsure about it, but now I'm much more excited to read it. :)

Good times Kylie, its really good, I was pleasantly surprised, I am looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

The Radleys by Matt Haig ~ Started: 29.08.10 ~ Finished: 31.08.10

Bookcover3-2.jpg

Synposis ~

Meet the Radleys: Peter, Helen and their teenage kids Clara and Rowan. An everyday family who live in a pretty English village and juggle dysfunctional lives. So far, so normal. Except, as Peter and Helen know (but the kids have yet to find out), the Radleys happen to be a family of abstaining vampires. When one night Clara finds herself driven to commit a bloodthirsty act of violence, her parents need to explain a few things: why is their skin is so sensitive to light, why do they all find garlic so repulsive, and why has Clara's recent decision to go vegan had quite such an effect on her behaviour...? But when mysterious Uncle Will swoops into the village, he unleashes a host of shadowy truths and dark secrets that threaten to destroy the Radleys and the world around them.

Another gem by Matt Haig and if you have read any of his previous books you will know what I mean. The Radleys is not your average vampire story because they are not your a~typical vampires, Peter (the Dad) is the local GP, Helen (the mum) and their two children, Rowan and Clara (who don't know they are vampires but are about to find out) live in their own bubble with Peter and Helen striving for normality by not drinking blood and keeping secrets from their children. A great story about family life, secrets and being a vampire, excellent.

I just baught The Passage on saturday. I read an excerpt a few weeks ago and couldn't resist buying the book any longer. I'm still a bit worried though, that I won't like it, as it's not the type of vampire story that I usually read.

Hi lopeanha, how are you? Its definitely different from most vampire stories but its good different, the way the vampires are created by science is familiar but apart from that, its a original story, I hope you enjoy it, I am looking forward to reading your thoughts. :)

Edited by Weave

Hey Weave, I'm fine, thanks :D How are you?

The Passage will probably be the next book on my reading list, but I'm only 100 pages in in my current book. We'll see, when I can get to it.

I'm good,thanks for asking :) I am looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 31.08.10 ~ Finished: 03.09.10 (re~read)

Bookcover1-4.jpg

Synopsis ~

Katniss Everdeen is a survivor. She has to be; she's representing her District, number 12, in the 74th Hunger Games in the Capitol, the heart of Panem, a new land that rose from the ruins of a post-apocalyptic North America. To punish citizens for an early rebellion, the rulers require each district to provide one girl and one boy, 24 in all, to fight like gladiators in a futuristic arena. The event is broadcast like reality TV, and the winner returns with wealth for his or her district.

My original review ~

‘The Hunger Games’ tells the story of Katniss Everdeen born and raised in District 12, formerly a coal-mining area of the Appalachians. North America is now known as Panem following several devastating disasters, and there are now 12 districts under the control of the Capitol, all of the districts are poor and all children aged between 12 and 18 are forced to participate in The Hunger Games, punishment for the uprising of the districts in the past, there are no excuses, if you are chosen, you must participate in The Hunger Games.

The story begins with Katniss hunting illegally outside of the fences of the Seam, part of District 12 where Katniss lives with her widowed mother and younger sister, Prim (short for Primrose) with her friend, Gale, both Gale and Katniss’s families depend on them, to survive they must hunt, they must make deals, they do what they can, because of her responsibilities, Katniss is a mature 16 year old. 

It’s the day of the reaping, the day when one boy and one girl are chosen for The Hunger Games, to Katniss’s horror, Prim is chosen to participate, ironically the first year she is part of the reaping, Katniss steps up and requests to go into Prim’s place, the rules allow this, and now Katniss and Peeta (the son of the local baker) are going to the Hunger Games, where they have to fight to the death, their survival is for the population’s entertainment and Katniss’s ultimate goal is to win and her and family to live on the benefits. 

If you enjoy the dystopia genre (like I do), you will enjoy ‘The Hunger Games’, the premise is not original (it will remind you of ‘Battle Royale’) but the story is brilliantly written, two strong characters who are fighting to survive whilst at the same time retaining their humanity. I enjoyed how the story explored everything about the games, games which have children kill each other to win an endless supply of food and how the games were used for entertainment value, a reality television with a brutality, no one is voted out of the Hunger Games. 

There was also a sinister edge to ‘The Hunter Games’ especially about the Capitol, the creators of the games which as the story progresses, Katniss and Peeta are more than aware of, they play the game but they don’t like it. 

A young adult book for adults, an excellent read and I am looking forward to the second book of the trilogy.

Edited by Weave

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games~Book II) by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 03.09.10 ~ Finished: 06.09.10 (re~read)

Bookcover2-12.jpg

Synopsis ~

My original review ~

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying... The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games.

‘The Hunger Games~Catching Fire’ is the sequel to ‘The Hunger Games’ and the second book in the trilogy, the third book in the series is due for release (as stated on amazon.co.uk) on the 24 Aug 2010 and on the basis of books one and two, I cannot wait for the third book.

‘Catching Fire’ begins after the events of ‘The Hunger Games’, Katniss and Peeta barely survived the games, and because of their final act to end the games, they are now under close surveillance from the Capitol and the terrifying President Snow.

Life has become easier for Katniss, her Mother and sister, Prim, they are enjoying the benefits of winning the games whilst helping families who live in the Seam which is part of District 12, one of the poorest districts in Panem. As victors Katniss and Peeta visit all of the districts, facing the families of the children who died in the games, which is difficult for both of them, during their visit at District 11, Katniss sense a change, people are starting to fight back against the Capitol.

‘Catching Fire’ is as good as ‘The Hunter Games’, if not, better, you know the characters and you know what they have went through, you feel their pain, their frustration, their sadness as they become pawns again in The Hunger Games. 

Initially the story was slow but excellent, building up the tension, you did not know what would happen next but you want Katniss and Peeta to exceed, keeping each other safe and their families and friends to be safe. 

You see how cruel the Capitol can be in their pursuit of entertainment. 

An excellent read for adults and young adults like, the story is brilliantly done.

Edited by Weave

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games~Book III) by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 06.09.10 ~ Finished: 08.09.10

Bookcover3-3.jpg

Synopsis ~

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge... The thrilling final instalment of this ground-breaking trilogy promises to be one of the most talked-about books of the year.

'Mockingjay' is the third and final book in 'The Hunger Games' series.

I do not want to say too much because I know there is still people out there reading it or about to read it.

I enjoyed 'Mockinjay' immensely when I finally thought that nothing else could happen to Katniss, something happen, and everything she experiences, you experience, her frustration, her unhappiness, etc, I felt sorry for Katniss because whatever she did, made things worse or alternatively played into the powers than be hands, she seemed to be in a no win situation where she could not trust anyone.

There has been some discussion on the ending, and you either love it or hate it, I thought it was the right ending.

Awesome, looks like it might be time for a little wishlist shuffle. In fact, I've barely kept a wishlist this year, just tend to buy on a whim or remember books people have recommended.

Awesome, looks like it might be time for a little wishlist shuffle. In fact, I've barely kept a wishlist this year, just tend to buy on a whim or remember books people have recommended.

Good stuff Ben, hope you are doing okay :)

I thought the ending was just right too, Weave.

And I'll second the recommendations to Lucy and Ben! They're excellent reads. :)

:) :)