~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

The Dead~Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan ~ Started: 14.05.10 ~ Finished: 17.05.10

Bookcover-29.jpg

Synopsis ~

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She's content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry's mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother's past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

'The Dead~Tossed Waves' is the sequel to Carrie Ryan's debut, 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' which I recently read and thought it was a great piece of writing.

'The Dead~Tossed Waves' continues the story of Mary and the new story of her daughter, Gabry, who both live in a lighthouse in Vista, one of the save havens from 'The Unconsecrated' or as they are known in Vista, 'The Mudos'. Gabry feels safe in her home and is scared of change but a change is coming and Gabry must face it.

I enjoyed 'The Dead~Tossed Waves' as much as I enjoyed 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth', I like the premise of the story, its about zombies but it takes, I think, a different curve from your usual zombie story, there is more thought into who The Unconsecrated/The Mudos were, do they have any memories of their life?, which I found interesting.

With 'The Dead~Tossed Waves', Carrie Ryan seems more confident in her writing and I am looking forward to the third book, 'The Dark and Hollow Places'.

Another great read.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Paula :D I can't wait for the third book but it sucks that it's going to be spring next year before it's out, that's such a long wait!!

Thanks hen, I know what you mean, it is a long wait ;)

The Witchcraft of Salem Village by Shirley Jackson ~ Started: 19.05.10 ~ Finished: 20.05.10

Bookcover-30.jpg

Synopsis ~

Spellbound by old Tituba''s tales, a group of young girls in Salem ignored the prohibition on magic. When questioned about their activities, the girls accused townsperson after townsperson. This book examines the truth of Salem''s witches.'

'The Witchcraft of Salem Village' is a children book for grade 6 and upwards written by Shirley Jackson of 'The Lottery' and 'We have always lived in the castle' fame. I bought the book because it was about The Salem Witch Trials and because Shirley Jackson wrote it.

The book is interesting, it is written in Shirley Jackson's usual style of writing, very forthright, very direct and at the same time giving you something to think about.

I have said it before and no doubt will say it again but there is something incredibly fierce about Shirley Jackson's writing and I would love to read more of her books but unfortunately not many of them are in print new, so unless a publisher has the ultimate brain~wave and publish Shirley Jackson's back catalogue, I will continue to search for them second hand.

An interesting read.

Great review Weave! I hope you can find Jackson's other works. I know that Penguin have recently reissued several of her well-known works (all of which I know you've read) so maybe they will continue and release a few more. :D

I'm should finally be starting The Lottery and Other Stories soon. I can't wait!

Great review Weave! I hope you can find Jackson's other works. I know that Penguin have recently reissued several of her well-known works (all of which I know you've read) so maybe they will continue and release a few more. :D

I'm should finally be starting The Lottery and Other Stories soon. I can't wait!

Thanks Kylie, I hope you enjoy 'The Lottery and Other Stories' ;)

Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steven Hockensmith ~ Started: 22.05.10 ~ Finished: 25.05.10

Bookcover-32.jpg

Synopsis ~

At the opening of the international bestseller "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", Elizabeth Bennet is already a seasoned warrior-trained in the martial arts, sceptical of romance, and determined to wipe out the deadly dreadfuls. But how did Elizabeth get that way? And where did all of the zombies come from? Readers will witness the birth of a heroine in Dawn of the Dreadfuls - a thrilling prequel set three years before the horrific events of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". This comic-horror novel is an all-new work of fiction from acclaimed novelist, Steve Hockensmith. As our story opens, the Bennet sisters are enjoying a peaceful life in the English countryside. They idle away the days reading, gardening, practising instruments, and daydreaming about future husbands-until a funeral at the local parish goes strangely and horribly awry. Suddenly corpses are springing from the soft earth-and only one family can stop them. As the bodies pile up, we watch Elizabeth Bennet evolve from a naive young teenager into a savage slayer of the undead. We laugh as she begins her first clumsy training with nunchucks and katana swords, and cry when her first blush with romance goes tragically awry. Through it all, of course, readers will be treated to scene after scene of absurd zombie carnage. Complete with 15 dazzling illustrations, "Dawn of the Dreadfuls" invites readers to step back into Regency England-Land of the Undead.

'Dawn of the Dreadfuls' is the prequel (as mentioned above) to 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', which I read last year and I enjoyed immensely, it was funny and a very different take on Jane Austen's world, who can't resist all fighting, and still dancing Bennet Sisters.

Dawn of the Dreadfuls begin with a funeral five years before 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the 'unmentionables' at this point are part of history after being disposed of by warriors (including Oscar Bennet, the sisters father and Lady Catherine de Bourgh) during 'The Troubles' as it was known then. At the funeral the corpse, Mr Ford rises from his coffin looking for brains to feed on much to the horror of the congregation, Mr Bennet surprises his daughters Elizabeth and Mary by disposing of the corpse (by removing his head from shoulders). Mr Bennett quickly returns home to Longbourn with his wife and daughters and much to Mrs Bennet's shock begins clearing out her garden shed of flowers, tools, etc and returns it to its former glory of Mr Bennet's dojo, Mr Bennet must fullfill a promise he made to his old master but did not stay true to and now he can fullfill his promise by turning his daughters into warriors .

I enjoyed 'Dawn of the Dreadfuls', all of the characters new and old were fun to read and they was a few surprises along the way, it was nice to see all of the sisters working together, they were all very different in their fighting styles and I loved how despite how much they at first did not want to become warriors (for the sake of propriety) they embraced the lifestyle and fought well. The younger sisters, Kitty and Lydia definitely make their mark in the story, as does Mary, who is showed as a much more stronger character, you find that what they learn is changing them as individuals and they begin to grow up. I would have liked to have seen Charlotte Lucas, Elizabeth's best friend fighting zombies but it was not to be, as she is not mentioned in the story. Elizabeth and Jane are shown well, Elizabeth is still as headstrong and Jane, as always is very demur, and both of them are excellent with katana swords.

The two men that come in Elizabeth's new warrior life are Master Geoffrey Hawksworth, a master of martial arts who comes to assist Mr Bennet with the training of the girls, his character is based on Elizabeth's thoughts of love in the future and Dr Bertram Keckilpenny, the forgetful scientist who wants to understand the unmentionables better.

Steven Hockensmith writes the story differently from 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', unlike Seth Grahame-Smith (author of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies') he does not have to work with the language of Jane Austen, 'Dawn of the Dreadfuls' is very much a story on its own merit, Jane Austen has provided the characters and Steven Hockensmith turns them into warriors.

A very different take of Regency England, if you like the zombie genre, a great sense of humour, this book is for you ~ enjoy.

Excellent review, Weave! I'm very much looking forward to reading this one :lol:.

Thanks hen :) I know you will enjoy it ;)

The Boy with the Cuckoo-clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu & Sarah Ardizzone (Translator) ~ Started: 25.05.10 ~ Finished: 26.05.10

Bookcover-33.jpg

Synopsis ~

Edinburgh, 1874. On the coldest night the world has ever seen, Little Jack is born with a frozen heart and immediately undergoes a life-saving operation. But Dr Madeleine is no conventional medic and surgically implants a cuckoo-clock into his chest. Little Jack grows up different to other children: every day begins with a daily wind-up. At school he is bullied for his 'ticking', but Dr Madeleine reminds him he must resist strong emotion: anger is far too dangerous for his cuckoo-clock heart. So when the beautiful young street-singer, Miss Acacia, appears - pursued by Joe, the school bully - Jack is in danger of more than just falling in love...he is putting his life on the line.

I enjoyed this adult fairy tale, it was different and kind of quirky. The story is a lovely piece of writing and Little Jack is a gorgeous character, conflicted because he does not understand his feelings which he feels are because of his cuckoo-clock heart, and everything he says and does always returns to his tick tocking heart and trying to understand how he can keep his heart ticking, which is a battle for Little Jack.

A lovely fairy tale for adults, but definitely not your typical fairy tale. I liked it so much, I changed my avatar to the cover of the book.

The Boy with the Cuckoo-clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu & Sarah Ardizzone (Translator) ~ Started: 25.05.10 ~ Finished: 26.05.10

Bookcover-33.jpg

This sounds like a gorgeous little book Weave, so glad you enjoyed it so much! :)

Stargazer by Claudia Gray ~ Started: 26.05.10 ~ Finished: 27.05.10

Bookcover-34.jpg

Synopsis ~

The second novel in the internationally bestselling EVERNIGHT series

The Evernight series sounds really fascinating, I might have to look into that! Thanks for the wonderful review, as always, Paula! :)

It is really good Frankie, I know I am too old be reading them but its a good story ;)

I'd seen The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart before and it'd intrigued me; you've sold it to me ;):)!

I think you will enjoy it Bookjumper, it was definitely not what I was expecting :lol:

It is really good Frankie, I know I am too old be reading them but its a good story ;)

No you're not! I think it's superb that even adults like us read YA novels, there's so much to learn from those books and I think they make us in touch with our youthful spirits :lol: They keep us young at heart :)

No you're not! I think it's superb that even adults like us read YA novels, there's so much to learn from those books and I think they make us in touch with our youthful spirits ;) They keep us young at heart :)

Thanks Frankie, plus the calibre of YA books nowadays and the choices are amazing compared to what I read when I was teenager :lol: And I am very much young at heart hen ;)

Thanks Frankie, plus the calibre of YA books nowadays and the choices are amazing compared to what I read when I was teenager :lol: And I am very much young at heart hen ;)

I definitely agree with you on that one! When I was growing up the novels on the youth section were all pretty much the same. I mean, they were mostly very realistic novels about kids and teens, with a few sci-fi novels here and there. Nowadays when I visit the YA section in that same library I'm always shocked (in a good way) to see such a variety in the books and the themes. There are so many vampire series and fantasy series and it's like there are no limits to imagination! I always feel like borrowing them all ;)

Before I joined BCF, I didn't read YA novels that much if at all because I thought that I wouldn't enjoy them now that I'm a grown up. But coming here and seeing how many people on here still read YA novels, I realised there must be so much to those books because people keep reading them. You in particular, with all your YA reviews and recommendations, have shown me how much there is to that genre and I offer you my sincerest thank yous for that! :)

I definitely agree with you on that one! When I was growing up the novels on the youth section were all pretty much the same. I mean, they were mostly very realistic novels about kids and teens, with a few sci-fi novels here and there. Nowadays when I visit the YA section in that same library I'm always shocked (in a good way) to see such a variety in the books and the themes. There are so many vampire series and fantasy series and it's like there are no limits to imagination! I always feel like borrowing them all ;)

Before I joined BCF, I didn't read YA novels that much if at all because I thought that I wouldn't enjoy them now that I'm a grown up. But coming here and seeing how many people on here still read YA novels, I realised there must be so much to those books because people keep reading them. You in particular, with all your YA reviews and recommendations, have shown me how much there is to that genre and I offer you my sincerest thank yous for that! :)

Thanks Frankie, I would never have read YA before but as you mentioned, there is so much choice out there, when I was a teenager, all they had in the YA section was Judy Blume books and Sweet Valley High books, oh and choose your own ending books where I always ended up falling off a cliff or being eaten by a dragon :lol:

I like to share recommendations, keep people reading and I get a lot of recommendations here too, so thank you too ;)

Thanks Frankie, I would never have read YA before but as you mentioned, there is so much choice out there, when I was a teenager, all they had in the YA section was Judy Blume books and Sweet Valley High books,

We didn't have Sweet Valley High books but we had Baby-Sitters Club and the Enid Blytons (they were good, I'm not saying they aren't) and Beverly Hills 90120 in English, that's probably one of the first books I ever read in English from start to finish. All about normal kids' problems and kids falling in and out of love, or detective stories, and that's about it.

oh and choose your own ending books where I always ended up falling off a cliff or being eaten by a dragon :)

;) You'd think that would keep one from wanting to read more! Scary stuff! Although I like the concept that you can choose your own path, I think we had one of those books in the library and it was really exciting!

Happy reading! :lol:

No you're not! I think it's superb that even adults like us read YA novels, there's so much to learn from those books and I think they make us in touch with our youthful spirits :lol: They keep us young at heart ;)

Thanks Frankie, plus the calibre of YA books nowadays and the choices are amazing compared to what I read when I was teenager ;) And I am very much young at heart hen :D

I agree with all of this! There are so many wonderful YA books that I've read and that I want to read. :) The quality is outstanding.

I saw recently that Ann M Martin has written another Baby-Sitter's Club book, but it's a prequel from when they were all 12 years old. I'm not sure if this is a standalone or the start of a new series. I'm still debating whether or not to get it. :(