~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

I had never heard of Little Big Man before, Weave. Thank you for the review, the books really sound good.

They are really interesting Ooshie, I hope you get the chance to read them :D

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (re-read) ~ Started: 18.07.10 ~ Finished: 23.07.10

bookcover-44.jpg

I re~read 'Shiver' in preparation for the sequel 'Linger' being released on the 21st July 2010.

As always with re~reads, I enjoyed it more the second time around, the story is brilliantly told and the characters are so memorable, I had a lump in my throat at the end of the book this time.

The Object-Lesson by Edward Gorey ~ Started: 23.07.10 ~ Finished: 23.07.10

bookcover-45.jpg

Synopsis ~

Inspired by Samuel Foote's poem, 'The Grand Panjandrum', The Object Lesson presents a stunning series of seemingly random and unrelated events. A missing artificial limb, ghostly spectres and the statue of Corrupted Endeavour all have a place in this enigmatic tale, which combines elements of French surrealism, Japanese haiku and lots of good fun. With its humorous obscurity and puzzling intriques, The Object Lesson delights and provokes.

This is the first book I have read by Edward Gorey, its a small book, very random and deliciously funny!:D

I didn't read Shiver that long ago so decided not to re-read it before starting Linger. I got my copy of Linger yesterday and started it this morning, and I'm about 60 pages in, and it's just as emotive as the first book. Hope yours arrives soon.

I didn't read Shiver that long ago so decided not to re-read it before starting Linger. I got my copy of Linger yesterday and started it this morning, and I'm about 60 pages in, and it's just as emotive as the first book. Hope yours arrives soon.

Thanks Chesil, I am looking forward to reading it, apparently my book is in Glasgow, just not at my house :lol:

Edited by Weave

Shiver sounds like a reallygood read, will hunt it out at the local library.

Its really good Joe :)

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill ~ Started: 23.07.10 ~ Finished: 27.07.10

TheWomaninBlack.jpg

Proud and solitary, Eel Marsh House surveys the windswept reaches of the salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shuttered windows. It is not until he glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral, that a creeping sense of unease begins to take hold, a feeling deepened by the reluctance of the locals to talk of the woman in black - and her terrible purpose.

'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill is a book I always wanted to read but never got around to it, well I finally did and can I just say wow. I love a good ghost story and 'The Woman in Black' is one of the best, I loved everything about it, the atmosphere, how descriptive it was, especially Eel Marsh House and the surrounding marshes. The main character, Arthur Kipps is well written, I felt like I was sharing his experiences with him. The story is generally creepy, as silly as it sounds, you could feel The Woman in Black lurking in the background.

A genuinely spooky read that I will read again and again, I am pleased I finally got around to reading it.

Excellent review, Weave! Yet another book I'll be adding to my wishlist :D.

Good times hen :) I know you will enjoy it :)

Edited by Weave

I re~read 'Shiver' in preparation for the sequel 'Linger' being released on the 21st July 2010.

As always with re~reads, I enjoyed it more the second time around, the story is brilliantly told and the characters are so memorable, I had a lump in my throat at the end of the book this time.

This keeps popping up around here! Kookie has it on her shelf so I think I will indeed give it a shot ;)

I really should try to re-read more shouldn't I? I keep meaning to :blush: and at the min I'm reading Dead in the Family and cursing myself for not reading the previous books, just seems such a waste! Do you really enjoy a book more the second time?

This keeps popping up around here! Kookie has it on her shelf so I think I will indeed give it a shot ;)

I really should try to re-read more shouldn't I? I keep meaning to :blush: and at the min I'm reading Dead in the Family and cursing myself for not reading the previous books, just seems such a waste! Do you really enjoy a book more the second time?

Hi Charm! I find I do enjoy the book the second time around because sometimes I read the book too fast the first time (a habit I am trying to break :lol:) so when I re~read it, I am like, 'I can't remember that happening', read 'Shiver' asap! :)

Hi Charm! I find I do enjoy the book the second time around because sometimes I read the book too fast the first time (a habit I am trying to break :lol:) so when I re~read it, I am like, 'I can't remember that happening', read 'Shiver' asap! :)

Yeah I guess that would make sense, even now, in the middle of a series, I have to think back to remember some of the more obscure characters. I just get so involved and don't realise how fast I'm reading! :blush: I do try to catch myself on but I often forget :blush:

I shall bring Shiver onto my bookshelf and get to it sooner than later! ;)

Edited by Charm

Yeah I guess that would make sense, even now, in the middle of a series, I have to think back to remember some of the more obscure characters. I just get so involved and don't realise how fast I'm reading! :blush: I do try to catch myself on but I often forget :blush:

I shall bring Shiver onto my bookshelf and get to it sooner than later! ;)

Here's to us fast readers hen :)

Thanks for the review of The Woman in Black, Weave, it's one I have often thought of reading, and it looks great! I have only read Susan Hill's Simon Serailler series up until now, and had really enjoyed them but wasn't sure what any of her other work was like. :)

Thanks for the review of The Woman in Black, Weave, it's one I have often thought of reading, and it looks great! I have only read Susan Hill's Simon Serailler series up until now, and had really enjoyed them but wasn't sure what any of her other work was like. :)

You will definitely enjoy 'The Woman in Black' Ooshie, it has a bit of everything :)

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 27.07.10 ~ Finished: 31.07.10

Bookcover-47.jpg

Synopsis ~

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.

As many of you know I enjoyed 'Shiver', the story of Grace and Sam and their fight to be together due to Sam's struggle to stop becoming a werewolf forever. Shiver' finished on a positive note with more of Sam and Grace's story to come.

I enjoyed 'Linger', it was much more intense than 'Shiver' and with the additional view points of Isabel and the new wolf, Cole added to the mix, it made for great reading, I found Isabel hilarious at times because she was so straight to the point but at the same time so wounded by her recent loss, I felt sad for her. Grace and Sam were as memorable as ever, they are both well written and lovely characters, in 'Linger' they are both going through changes which are difficult for the both of them to cope with, and at the same time showing how much strength of character they both have. Cole, the newest wolf and character I did not warm to initially but my view of him did change as I read.

For me, 'Linger' was a lot sadder than 'Shiver' (and I had a lump in my throat at the end of 'Shiver' the second time I read it), so you can imagine what was I like at the end of 'Linger'. A powerful story which I think will appeal to everyone who enjoy a well written story with a difference.

I am looking forward to the next and final instalment, 'Forever', which is due for release next year.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :D I liked that it had Cole and Isabel narrating too. Which would you say you prefer Shiver or Linger? x

Oh its hard to decide, they both have great elements, I will get back to you :)

Edited by Weave

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 31.07.10 ~ Finished: 01.08.10

Bookcover2-9.jpg

Synopsis ~

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the blind leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate - Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead - a world beyond her wildest dreams...

'Dark Lover' is the first book in the 'Black Dagger Brotherhood Series' by J.R. Ward.

'Dark Lover' introduces us to the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, vampires who exist in secret, fighting against their foes the Lessening Society. Wrath their leader and unwilling King of the Brotherhood prepares to help the half-breed daughter of his recently deceased Brother Darius, Beth to complete her transition into a vampire, if she survives of course.

'Dark Lover' is definitely a fun read, there is enough excitement to keep you entertained and although somewhat cheesy at times, its has a good story. I am looking forward to the next book, 'Lover Eternal'. A series for adults everywhere who enjoy supernatural stories.

So pleased you enjoyed Dark Lover Weave! It is indeed cheesy, and corny as hell, but entertaining nonetheless! ;):lol:

I agree Charm, I think I put it down twice, just entertainment, not to be taking seriously :)

I agree Charm, I think I put it down twice, just entertainment, not to be taking seriously :)

Not like the author then who takes it very very seriously (her right I suppose) to the point where she has imagined interviews with them very very funny :lol: