Kelly's Reading 2010

lexiepiper

ce6c852b.jpg

By The Time You Read This by Lola Jaye

No. of pages: 321

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis: This is a manual for my daughter Lois. Here are the rules:

1. You must only read each new entry on your birthday, there is one for every year until you are thirty.

2. This is a private manual between you and me.

3. No peeping at the next entry unless it's your birthday!

When Lois Bates is handed the manual, she can barely bring herself to read it as the pain of losing her dad is still so raw. Yet soon his advice is guiding her through every stange of her life - from first love and relationships to her career.

Review: When Lois is 12, she is given a manual that was written for her by her dead father. Inside the manual, her father guides her through life by the way of letters written for her to read on every birthday until she's 30. But while she is clinging to her father and his manual so hard, how will Lois ever learn the lessons he writes about?

This was a comfortable read, something you can just sit back and relax with because it's not very taxing. The story itself is interesting enough, there are a few twists and turns to keep the story flowing, but it's nothing particularly amazing. The plot is along the lines of P.S. I Love You and Things I Want My Daughters To Know, so if you like those books this might be something you'd be interested in, although I wouldn't consider this one to be as good as either of the ones I mentioned. I really disliked where the author tried to be a 'teen' at the beginning, the way she made Lois talk was so stupid and I don't remember talking like that when I was 12, but maybe I'm just old now! I also thought Lois was a rather shallow and selfish character, so I found it hard to become attached to her. Overall, it was an okay book, worth a read but not something I'd read again.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4a96bea3.jpg

Bareback by Kit Whitfield

No. of pages: 368

Rating: 3/5

I know you weren't exactly thrilled by it but Bareback sounds right up my street *toodles off to research said book* thank you :roll:!

What BJ said, that sounds right up my street and I will investigate and see if it is in my Library. Thanks for the review!

487dfe14.jpg

Breakneck by Erica Spindler

No. of pages: 375

Rating: 5/5

Series: Kitt Lundgren (Book 2)

I have one of her books on my TBR Pile it's not copycat, so I am glad that this got such a rave review from you. It does look such a good book. Thans again for the great reviews. Will be checking on your book log, seems like we have quite a few books in common.

CW.

Lexie you have a MASSIVE TBR list, I'm in total awe! I think only Kylie has a bigger TBR...

Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Angel's Game

Markus Zusak - I Am The Messenger

Linwood Barclay - Too Close To Home

Mark Billingham

John Connolly - The Book Of Lost Things

Patricia Cornwell

Jeffrey Deaver - The Blue Nowhere

Arthur Golden - Memoirs Of A Geisha

Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splended Suns

Stephen King - Cell

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird

John Ajvide Lindqvist - Let The Right One In

Richard Montanari - Broken Angels

Richard Montanari - The Rosary Girls

Richard Montanari - The Skin Gods

Terry Pratchett - Good Omens

Lionel Shriver - We Need To Talk About Kevin

Karin Slaughter - Fractured

Wow we have a lot of the same books on our TBR/wishlist this year, I think we're going to have a great reading year :roll:

Dan Brown - Angels And Demons

Jeffrey Deaver - The Bone Collector

Jeffrey Deaver - The Coffin Dancer

Stephen King - The Green Mile

Sophie Kinsella - Remember Me?

Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows - The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Society

Anita Shreve – The Weight Of Water

Karin Slaughter - Triptych

I enjoyed all of these books and hope you will too, the Jeffery Deavers are especially great as well as the Triptych. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society novel was one of the best books I read last year, it was very touching :D

The Weight of the Water has been made into a really good movie also, by the way. I couldn't actually decide which was better, the book or the movie, I thought they were both fantastic :D

Happy reading lexie! :D

From your list, i can say 'The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy' and 'A short History of Nearly Everything' are great reads. And i speak as someone who rarely picks up a book :roll:. Once you start reading them, you'll need someone to crow-bar them from your fingers :D. Both are very funny. 'Hitch-hikers' is very imaginative and 'A Short History...', genuinely makes science-stuff enjoyable to read.

I was going to post this in your thread to save clogging up Kelly's but I can't find that you have one, so sorry Kelly!

I have A Short History... but I've been putting it off a bit in case it went over my head (I don't have a sciency brain!) so it's encouraging to read this. :D

Oooh some good reviews there Lexi, Breakneck looks good.

I think you'd enjoy it Ben, she's a great thriller writer :(

Excellent reviews Lexie. Think I might just have to get my hands on a copy of Breakneck because that sounds right up my street. Thank you!

Perky

Hope you enjoy it!

Well, you're certainly on-target so far for your target of 3 a week! Way to go! :D

Thanks Kell! :D

What BJ said, that sounds right up my street and I will investigate and see if it is in my Library. Thanks for the review!

I have one of her books on my TBR Pile it's not copycat, so I am glad that this got such a rave review from you. It does look such a good book. Thans again for the great reviews. Will be checking on your book log, seems like we have quite a few books in common.

CW.

I hope you enjoy them both CW! :lol: Which Spindler do you have?

Breakneck - another one for my wishlist, thanks Lexie! Great review! :D

You'll really enjoy it I'm sure! :roll:

Lexie you have a MASSIVE TBR list, I'm in total awe! I think only Kylie has a bigger TBR...

Wow we have a lot of the same books on our TBR/wishlist this year, I think we're going to have a great reading year :roll:

I enjoyed all of these books and hope you will too, the Jeffery Deavers are especially great as well as the Triptych. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society novel was one of the best books I read last year, it was very touching :D

The Weight of the Water has been made into a really good movie also, by the way. I couldn't actually decide which was better, the book or the movie, I thought they were both fantastic :D

Happy reading lexie! :lol:

Thanks Frankie! I've been really looking forward to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, so I'm glad you said it was so good! And I really do think we have a good reading year ahead too! :(

I was going to post this in your thread to save clogging up Kelly's but I can't find that you have one, so sorry Kelly!

I have A Short History... but I've been putting it off a bit in case it went over my head (I don't have a sciency brain!) so it's encouraging to read this. :D

It's no problem Janet, I don't mind at all! In fact, I've been thinking the same thing, I originally only got it because my BF said he wanted to read it and he's really into science, so I didn't think I would read it, but decided I would give it a go anyway, and so many people on here have enjoyed it!

Thanks for the 'Breakneck' review Lexi. Has been duly added to my TBR list making a grand total of four books :roll:.

Janet, it's a fine book and Bill Bryson is such an engaging writer. Plus the characters that have contributed to science over the centuries seem to be ever so slightly bonkers :D. So when Bill writes about them he brings these people to life. And there's no heavy science writing to make your brain hurt :D

Hope you'll enjoy reading it :lol:.

I think you'd enjoy it Ben, she's a great thriller writer :lol:

Thanks, I'll add it to the Wishlist. Well, actually, I don't have any on a Wishlist yet because I never make them. So it's a first one. :roll:

TJanet, it's a fine book and Bill Bryson is such an engaging writer. Plus the characters that have contributed to science over the centuries seem to be ever so slightly bonkers :lol:. So when Bill writes about them he brings these people to life. And there's no heavy science writing to make your brain hurt :lol:

Hope you'll enjoy reading it :lol:.

:roll:

I'm no science buff, but I found this quite easy to read. Bill has such a wonderful way of explaining things. I read it a few years ago and still often think about various things I read in it. It's very informative and really brings science to life. :D

abe0cec8.jpg

Evermore by Alyson Noel

No. of pages: 356

Rating: 4/5

Series: The Immortals (Book 1)

Synopsis: Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school— but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste. Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking— and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. But she doesn’t know who he really is— or what he is.

Review: Since being in a terrible car accident that killed her family, Ever has been psychic - she sees auras, hears thoughts and feels everything a person feels when they touch her. That is until she meets Damen Auguste, she can't hear or feel anything from him, and it's a welcome relief. But Damen is hiding big secrets, things he doesn't want Ever to find out...

I quite enjoyed this book, the premise was along the lines of Sookie - with the mind-reading female and the silent male, and Twilight - with the obsessed, almost creepy boyfriend and the girl who thinks she's nothing. Written for teenagers, it's very easy to read, the storyline whilst nothing particularly special or original is enjoyable enough, and flows along nicely. I think fans of Twilight will probably enjoy this, although in my opinion Twilight is better, but this has the potential to grow into a interesting series, so I will certainly be reading the next book Blue Moon when it's released in March in the hopes it's as good as this one was.

I spotted this one in Waterstones last week and considered picking it up. It struck me as something akin to "Sookie for teens", which appeals to me. :roll:

Great review Lexi, another one to keep an eye on/add the the wishlist, it seems. I've heard these recommended by Kell as well and from you review you make them sound worth looking at. :roll: