Mexicola's Reads of 2010

Mexicola

Oh, Marcia...Mexicola Counts it amongst her favourites? I might need to calm down a bit here...laugh.gif

It's up there for me, as well. But don't get me started on Mr Dumas's name...doh.gif Good work, Mexicola. Good work. x

:giggle2: Have you seen The Shawshank Redemption Mac? There's a funny little scene involving this book and Mr Dumas' name. :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys read King's short story of Shawshank? The two films that started out as short stories from that book (Shawshank and Stand By Me aka The Body) are both instances where the films are superior to the books. IMO anyway, and that never happens! Although they're only superior because they elaborate, the stories themselves are still excellent :)

• 3 weeks later...

September

28. The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon (2009)

Started - 03.09.2010 Finished - 10.09.2010. Rating - 4/5

29. The Passion of Artemisia, Susan Vreeland (2002)

Started - 11.09.2010 Finished - 19.09.2010. Rating - 3.5/5

30. Dearly Devoted Dexter, Jeff Lindsay (2005)

Started - 27.09.2010 Finished - 02.10.2010. Rating - 3.5/5

Books Acquired

40. Dissoluton, C. J. Sansom

41. Dexter in the Dark, Jeff Lindsay

Edited by Mexicola

September

28. The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon (2009)

Started - 03.09.2010 Finished -

Fantastic stuff. Loved it. Am I correct in thinking there's another one coming out soon? cool.gif

What what what?? :huh:

I think I read somewhere that there were three novels connected (as were the first two) and that the third was due out soon. Of course, being a total doughnut without the wit one would grant a woodlouse, I could be entirely wrong. I might even have dreamt it. I can't remember.

If the information I have let fly upon these boards is wildly apocryphal, then my apologies. My only excuse is that my mind has gone. Many years since. huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

October

31. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson (2008)

Started - 02.10.2010 Finished - 08.10.2010. Rating - 5/5

32. The Secret History, Donna Tartt (1992)

Started - 10.10.2010 Finished - 02.11.2010. Rating - 4.5/5

Books Acquired

42. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides

43. Mary Anne, Daphne Du Maurier

44. Lorna Doone, R. D. Blackmore

45. The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson

46. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, Stieg Larsson

Edited by Mexicola

Glad to hear great things about Middlesex, I only picked it up because I remembered many a BCF'er raving about it :D I can't wait to start it now.

I'mRose - I was a bit dubious about TGWTDT due to so many people saying it took ages to get into, but like you say it seems as though it's worth it! By the way, was I the only person who didn't realise that Stieg Larsson is deceased? I had no idea.

Peace! I hope we like it too! I'm only on page 17 but hoping to get more read tonight. How're you finding it?

Glad to hear great things about Middlesex, I only picked it up because I remembered many a BCF'er raving about it :D I can't wait to start it now.

I'mRose - I was a bit dubious about TGWTDT due to so many people saying it took ages to get into, but like you say it seems as though it's worth it! By the way, was I the only person who didn't realise that Stieg Larsson is deceased? I had no idea.

I'm about half way through Middlesex and so far I love it. I'll probably try and read Virgin Suicides as well!

Yes Larsson did unfortunately pass away and did not get to experience how successful his books would become. I also heard that he had planned to write several more books in the series and the forth one is almost done I think. However it will, as I understand it, not be released.

I didn't realize until just a little while ago that Larsson was deceased either, Mexicola. I'm only up to about page 40 so far, but I'm liking it. I can see why it may take some time to get into, as it's a little dry and the subject matter is somewhat over my head, but it's definitely looking up! I'm looking forward to getting into it more :D.

That's such a shame that Larsson didn't get to enjoy all his success, and a shame that we won't be able to enjoy any more of his work! :( I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night, I loved it! How're you getting on with it Peace? I'm going to need to acquire the next two books ASAP :D

Not sure what to read now. The third Dexter book, Dissolution by C J Sansom, Middlesex or The Secret History?!

That's such a shame that Larsson didn't get to enjoy all his success, and a shame that we won't be able to enjoy any more of his work! :( I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night, I loved it! How're you getting on with it Peace? I'm going to need to acquire the next two books ASAP :D

Not sure what to read now. The third Dexter book, Dissolution by C J Sansom, Middlesex or The Secret History?!

Happy reading Mexicola, whatever you decide :)

OMG you read that quickly, Mexicola! :o I'm still in the first half of the book - I've not found the time to read lately. Ugh talk about being lame! I'm glad you loved it so much though.

Oh, and I vote for Secret History! TOTALLY! ;)

I did read on the BBC that there is a 5th book (not a 4th aparently he didn't want to write a 4th !!!!) but there are wranglings in the family as to whether it will be published or not.

Ah that's interesting, pickle! I wonder what they'll decide. I picked up the second and third book yesterday as I found them on offer.

I did read that one quite quickly, peace. This week though I've read about 40 pages in total! It's not lame, just finding the time! Oh an I am reading the Secret History, by the way :D