Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

That sounds good, I might need to go pick that one up ;)

Yay! :blush: Have you read anything by Hornby before? There's an American singer-songwriter in this one so there's a bit of a common American ground for you in the novel :lol:

I've just finished it and I really enjoyed it! I've given it a 4/5, I try to limit the amount of 5/5s I give to books.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just realised The Eclipse will be in the movie theaters at the end of the month (30.6 to be exact) and I haven't even read the third book of the series yet!! And, I still haven't watched New Moon. I'm thinking maybe I should dedicate the next couple of week to reading the whole series, re-reading the first two and then moving on to the others.

I've just realised The Eclipse will be in the movie theaters at the end of the month (30.6 to be exact) and I haven't even read the third book of the series yet!! And, I still haven't watched New Moon. I'm thinking maybe I should dedicate the next couple of week to reading the whole series, re-reading the first two and then moving on to the others.

I would highly, HIGHLY concur with this, Frankie! You need a re-read of the first two and a reading of the last 2, do you hear me?! :blush: NOW! :lol:;)

Woo! Will you be seeing like me, at the midnight showing on premiere day?!

Oh, and when you go, drop the 'The' before Eclipse, okay? You don't want any tweens laughing at you, right? :lol:;):blush:

Woo! Will you be seeing like me, at the midnight showing on premiere day?!

Oh, and when you go, drop the 'The' before Eclipse, okay? You don't want any tweens laughing at you, right? ;):):blush:

I don't know if we'll be having any midnight showings here :lol: Aaaa shucks, my English skills have failed me :D Anyways, I think I'll be waiting a couple of weeks til all the tweens and teens have seen the movie and the audience is a smaller scale, more mature one :D

I started thinking about this 'the' thing and there are few things that I want to mention. We don't have definite or indefinite articles in Finnish, which you English speaking people might find odd.

Also, Eclipse has a Finnish title so I guess I'd be calling it by the Finnish name, or then I'd only say "the new Twilight movie". Then I started thinking about the Finnish titles for the different movies/books and Twilight is in Finnish 'Houkutus', meaning 'Temptation'. New Moon is a literal translation. Eclipse is 'Doubt' or maybe 'Suspicion'. And Breaking Dawn is 'Dawn' or 'Daybreak'.

Then I started thinking about this novel that had a weirdish translation title in Finnish but I forgot what it was. Maybe I'll remember that later.

I was just out with a friend, we had a couple of beers (haha, wrote bears and thought to myself that looks wrong) and a lovely time. Then I went to the grocerystore and yay, I found Trainspotting on DVD for a quid or so! I've been wanting to watch it for a couple of months now, I'm so excited :blush:

I wathed The Squid and the Whale last weekend BTW, I'm not sure what to make of it. When it was finished and there were the credits, I was like "wow, did it end already??". Lots of great actors in that one, Jeff Daniels and the ever so talented and beautiful Laura Linney, and that young guy who was in Zombieland as well, he's really cute. And the boy who played the younger brother was really good as well. Oh and one of the Baldwin brothers. Oh and Anna Paquin! I wonder if anyone has watched this and liked it?

Oooh now I remember the Finnish title that seemed weird, meaning different. I was at the store looking at books and there was the first Sookie Stackhouse novel translated in Finnish! The title was 'Veren voima' which means 'The Power of Blood' :blush:

You think you'll make it to the theatre to see Eclipse, Frankie? If we lived closer to you I'd go with you in a heartbeat! :D

It's interesting what you were saying about Finnish translations. Why is it some books have the literal translation of the title (like New Moon) and others don't? I don't mean to sound clueless, but are there no words in the Finnish language for 'Twilight' or 'Eclipse?' Or how about the first Sookie book? I can't quite remember the title, is it 'Dead Until Dark?'

I've seen The Squid and the Whale, Frankie, and unfortunately the only thing I remember about it is that I quit watching it somewhere around the middle because I disliked it so! I can't even think of my reasons why, so I'm sorry about that. I think I remember really disliking Jeff Daniels' character. He acted well (as usual) but for some reason I really loathed that role.

You think you'll make it to the theatre to see Eclipse, Frankie? If we lived closer to you I'd go with you in a heartbeat!

I'm not sure, if I start reading the books and watch the movies then I definitely will get to that but I have so many great reads ahead of me.... Not that it would take that much time to plow through awesome novels? :lol: I'd go with you in a heartbeat as well, I'd love to do a mignight watching, I've never done those before :D

It's interesting what you were saying about Finnish translations. Why is it some books have the literal translation of the title (like New Moon) and others don't? I don't mean to sound clueless, but are there no words in the Finnish language for 'Twilight' or 'Eclipse?' Or how about the first Sookie book? I can't quite remember the title, is it 'Dead Until Dark?'

It's definitely interesting, the translator must've been aware about the theme of the original titles and why not just follow that? It's very confusing isn't it. I usually refer to the books by their original titles, or just call them 'the first book, the second' and so on. And you don't sound clueless, it's a valid question. We do have words for 'twilight' and 'eclipse' but now that I actually checked them in the dictionary, they wouldn't sound like great titles in my opinion. I actually like the Finnish name 'Temptation', the Finnish word 'Houkutus' is a great one. Is there anything about people having doubts or suspicions in Eclipse? The Finnish word for doubt starts with an 'E', so I don't know if that is a factor in the decision. I should e-mail the translator :D

Yes, I believe the first Sookie book was Dead Until Dark, and the Finnish translation reads 'The Power of Blood' in English. I don't particularly like the Finnish title 'Veren voima' because it instantly reminds me of 'Veren vangit' (prisoners of blood) which is the Finnish title for Interview with a Vampire. But now that I've seen the Finnish title I'm thinking the translator must be thinking about all the words that start with a V and maybe they've come up with better ones than they'd come up with a K (dead is 'kuollut' in Finnish).

These title translations are really interesting. You remember the movie Shawshank Redemption, undoubtedly? Well, the Finnish translation of the movie is

Rita Hayworth - avain pakoon, meaning Rita Hayworth - The Key to Escape.

That practically spoils the whole movie :) Soooo stupid. We had this summer course on Hollywood Indie movies and our lecturer, Vickie Olsen, was talking to us about different movies and movie titles during a break. She couldn't believe it when we told her about the Rita Hayworth title :D You wouldn't happen to know her, peace? She's from the States and she's been to teach in Spain and stuff so she must be quite the international traveller. A very nice and likable person, I loved her movie courses.

I've seen The Squid and the Whale, Frankie, and unfortunately the only thing I remember about it is that I quit watching it somewhere around the middle because I disliked it so! I can't even think of my reasons why, so I'm sorry about that. I think I remember really disliking Jeff Daniels' character. He acted well (as usual) but for some reason I really loathed that role.

I don't blame you for disliking the movie! I almost quit watching it myself and kept on going mainly because I liked all the actors so much. And it was about books and authors :) And yes, Jeff Daniels' character is probably one of the most despicable ones I've ever come across in movies, even though he didn't actually kill or rape or harm anyone physically. But he was such a bitter person. Apparently he thought he was the writer in the family, and he was so annoyed when he hadn't been published for ages and his soon to be ex-wife got published soon after they separated. He'd had a couple of wives (well only one, according to him, because the first marriage got annulled) before Laura Linney's character and he kind of kept saying how people had turned difficult on him. When he was in a hospital recovering from a heart attack and his son didn't want to live with him anymore, he started saying "don't get difficult". It's like when he didn't get his will, it was because other people were difficult. He was so arrogant and awful and full of himself and so jealous of his wife's success... Argh!!

I think one of the reasons you quit watching the movie, peace, is because there were very explicit suggestions of a teenage masturbating in school, and rubbing the semen in the bookspines in the library or locker doors in the school corridors. I mean, it wasn't like we saw any private parts but it was so obvious and it was really, really disturbing.

It's only just after 4am here, but I can't sleep so why not get online and see what the BCF folks are up to?! :lol:

Midnight movie viewings are fun, Frankie! I've only been to them a couple of times but they aren't as obnoxious as I thought. I hope you get to go one of these days! :D

It sounds like with the translation of book titles, they want to be more creative and rather take the general theme of the book rather than the actual title? Quite the big leap of artistic liberty, there! :) What do I know though, I'm the one who only knows how to speak 1 language! That's funny about the Shawshank translation. You knew the original short story title of King's was 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,' right? Weird how they decided to keep her name in the title. I've not heard of that teacher, but that's great you liked her so! I would love to take a class on film.

Ugh, your short description of Jeff Daniels' character in the Squid and the Whale reminded me of why I turned the film off! He was certainly the obnoxious one who blamed all his failures on others. I don't remember that part about the teenager doing disturbing things like that in school, so either I completely blocked it out or never got to that part! :D That reminds me of the highly disturbing movie 'American Splendor,' yuck! I couldn't finish that one either.

It's only just after 4am here, but I can't sleep so why not get online and see what the BCF folks are up to?!

That's the best choice :) Sorry to hear you're having problems sleeping, why is that? =( I hope you get to sleep soon (not that I would mind having you around to talk to for longer :D)

Midnight movie viewings are fun, Frankie! I've only been to them a couple of times but they aren't as obnoxious as I thought. I hope you get to go one of these days!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they always do midnight viewings in, say, Helsinki but I think our town is not as cultured as that :D I would think they'd be rather fun and not obnoxious at all. Although I have to say, I've been to a movie in Helsinki and the audience there was so much more outspoken and rebellious and quite filthy indeed! The place was a pig sty after everyone had been eating popcorn and whatnot and not quite caring if the popcorn actually made it's way into their mouths. Here in Joensuu people behave a lot better. The youngsters in Helsinki are quite scary at times, I'm so glad I come from a small town and I like to think I grew up quite nicely. Am I sounding like a redneck hillbilly? LOL!

It sounds like with the translation of book titles, they want to be more creative and rather take the general theme of the book rather than the actual title? Quite the big leap of artistic liberty, there!What do I know though, I'm the one who only knows how to speak 1 language! That's funny about the Shawshank translation. You knew the original short story title of King's was 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,' right? Weird how they decided to keep her name in the title. I've not heard of that teacher, but that's great you liked her so! I would love to take a class on film.

Artistic liberty in translations, that's quite cocky! You'd think they thought they'd written the book themselves?! :lol: All the translational issues are quite interesting, sometimes I regret that I didn't try and get to the translation department after one year in uni.

Yeah I knew the original story had Rita Hayworth in the title. But it's not as revealing as the Finnish title, is it.

It must be a very difficult thing to be a translator though. You hardly ever notice the work the translator has put in if you enjoy the movie and don't even consciously notice the subtitles, because then the translator has done his/her job well. You only notice the translation in a conscious level if s/he has made a mistake and then you think, what a poor translator. Very ungratifying. I'd say the only translator who enjoys wide public recognition here is Jaana Kapari-Jatta who's translated the Harry Potter books. She's done a brilliant job and it's a real joy to read the books in Finnish as well. She's said that it's really difficult to decide whether to translate the English names into Finnish. If a character has a small role in one book and she decides not to translate the name, she'll regret it if it turns out later on that that character will play a more important role.

To give you an idea of the Finnish HP translations, there's the name of Snape. It's short, it's clear, it has an edge to it, and it'll remind you of a snake. The Finnish translation is 'Kalkaros', which has two Ks and makes it a very loud and ominous name. It also reminds you of a snake, because in Finnish we have a 'kalkkarok

Edited by frankie

I hear you, loud and clear! :D I have no intentions of NOT being able to go and see The Eclipse in the movie theater!!

I agree with peacefield ~ post haste Frankie!:)

I don't usually have issues sleeping, but every once in awhile I wake up before my alarm goes off (in this case 2 hours) and I start thinking about stuff, in turn not being able to turn my brain off. I squeezed in about 45 minutes of shuteye though after I last posted :).

Listen to Weave and me, Frankie! You'll go far :D. You don't sound like a redneck hillbilly though, more like me! :D I always complain about the youngsters. I don't remember being that obnoxious when I was that age. I swear part of it has to do with way too much materialism and not living as simple of a life as we did back then. Oh my, now I sound like an old 30-something crab!

I agree it would be very hard to be a translator. I never thought before about how translating in the written word wouldn't necessarily be exactly word-for-word. I'm not quite sure I see the benefit of changing a characters name... Do translators think it looks weird having a name like 'Snape' or 'Hermione' (sp?) in the midst of all these Finnish words? That sounds neat about that author writing a book on how the process of translating the HP books went.

That's so cool about your teacher remembering you the next year! Teachers like that are a gem, and hard to come across I think. I'd love to take a class on old 30's Hollywood films. My great-aunt was a Ziegfeld Follies girl, and while she was more on stage in NYC, she did a film or two I think it the late 20's/early 30's. It's a very fascinating time I think.

Why is it that you don't capitalize all the words in a title? I've never heard of not doing it before.

I don't usually have issues sleeping, but every once in awhile I wake up before my alarm goes off (in this case 2 hours) and I start thinking about stuff, in turn not being able to turn my brain off. I squeezed in about 45 minutes of shuteye though after I last posted.

Glad you got another 45 minutes of sleep and rest :lol: It would be nice if one could leave one's brain in a hanger somewhere when going to sleep, right?

Listen to Weave and me, Frankie! You'll go far :). You don't sound like a redneck hillbilly though, more like me! I always complain about the youngsters. I don't remember being that obnoxious when I was that age. I swear part of it has to do with way too much materialism and not living as simple of a life as we did back then. Oh my, now I sound like an old 30-something crab!

I don't remember us being so obnoxious when we were younger either. I think it's like every generation gets worse than the previous one. I definitely agree with you on the whole materialism relating to the issue. "When I was younger, we used to walk 30 km to school and we didn't have shoes!" :D

I agree it would be very hard to be a translator. I never thought before about how translating in the written word wouldn't necessarily be exactly word-for-word. I'm not quite sure I see the benefit of changing a characters name... Do translators think it looks weird having a name like 'Snape' or 'Hermione' (sp?) in the midst of all these Finnish words? That sounds neat about that author writing a book on how the process of translating the HP books went.

Well, usually the names are not translated to Finnish in fiction. For instance, Walter doesn't turn into Valtteri and Henry into Henri. The translators use the English names. But in the case of Harry Potter, it's different. I think because the names aren't all the usual kind of names but they mean something particular in English, something that relates to that character and his/her personal traits. Harry Potter is Harry Potter in the Finnish translation, and Hermione Granger is Hermione Granger. Sirius Black is Sirius Musta ('musta' = 'black') and Snape is Kalkaros (for the reasons I already talked about). So it's not like all the names are changes, only the ones that seem to have a special meaning in English as well.

That's so cool about your teacher remembering you the next year! Teachers like that are a gem, and hard to come across I think. I'd love to take a class on old 30's Hollywood films. My great-aunt was a Ziegfeld Follies girl, and while she was more on stage in NYC, she did a film or two I think it the late 20's/early 30's. It's a very fascinating time I think.

I didn't know about Ziegfeld Follies but I wikied it and wow I'm really impressed! You've got some great roots, peace, what with you Dad having been a musician as well :D Have you seen the films? Wouldn't it be cool and sort of surreal to see her in them?

Why is it that you don't capitalize all the words in a title? I've never heard of not doing it before.

Listen to you, trying to capitalize even book titles! McCarthy would be proud! (I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself when there was such a great opportunity :)) For me, the question would be more like "why would you capitalize all the words in a title?". I would understand if you spoke German because they capitalize nouns, but you don't do that in English so why would you do that in book titles? Does it stem from the Germanic origins, meaning you also capitalized nouns in Old English? Trust me, the Finnish way makes more since :D

I had to turn my computer off and get myself to work, can you imagine? Here I am at my desk though, Starbucks in hand.

It would be nice if we could park our brains overnight and know we could turn everything officially 'off!' :)

I laugh at my mom every time she says something like "in my day, we didn't have cell phones!" I could say the same thing for my young years! I do still remember the days of rotary telephones though.

Now I understand what you mean about proper given names not being translated into Finnish, but other names that have multiple meanings I guess? Interesting...

I've seen one of my great-aunts films and yes, it was surreal. I only got to meet her once, because she lived out in Hollywood while I was alive. It was '77 I think and she died shortly thereafter so I'm glad I got to meet her (even though I don't remember much about the visit). We have a lot of her photos though in her costumes and it looks so neat! My dad's side of the fam has some pretty rich history :lol:.

:D What can I say, I'm a capitalist at heart!! I need to read up on why in fact we do that here - you have my interest peaked! I have no idea why I do it, just that I know I like it :D.

I laugh at my mom every time she says something like "in my day, we didn't have cell phones!" I could say the same thing for my young years! I do still remember the days of rotary telephones though.

:D That's too funny! It's not like it was such a long ago and we weren't there to live that era with them! I remember the rotary phones as well, man they were slow to rotate. Many a people who were in a critical state of health (having heart attacks etc) must've died while rotating the number for an ambulance.

I've seen one of my great-aunts films and yes, it was surreal. I only got to meet her once, because she lived out in Hollywood while I was alive. It was '77 I think and she died shortly thereafter so I'm glad I got to meet her (even though I don't remember much about the visit). We have a lot of her photos though in her costumes and it looks so neat! My dad's side of the fam has some pretty rich history :D.

I'm glad you got to meet her, it's a shame she didn't live longer. You have truly interesting roots, whenever I talk to you it seems like you're introducing another famous family member :lol: Even the guy who was training with Cusack!! Oooh which reminded me that I started watching Serendipity and while I was watching it I got this vague memory of having watched it once, years ago. I don't remember much about it though. I'm not a huge fan of Kate Beckinsale... :lol:

What can I say, I'm a capitalist at heart!! I need to read up on why in fact we do that here - you have my interest peaked! I have no idea why I do it, just that I know I like it :).

Haha, first time I read that I thought you meant you didn't know why you are capitalists in fact! :D Then I realised what you actually meant. Have you found out anything?

• 4 weeks later...

This week I'm going to do the opposite of what I've been doing lately: I'm going to go through my books and take away books that I've read and know I won't be rereading in the future, and books that I've bought but have gone off and don't think will read even for the first time. I'm also going to update my book "reviews" at some point. A determined :lol:

This week I'm going to do the opposite of what I've been doing lately: I'm going to go through my books and take away books that I've read and know I won't be rereading in the future, and books that I've bought but have gone off and don't think will read even for the first time. I'm also going to update my book "reviews" at some point. A determined :lol:

Ooh, this will be interesting. I look forward to seeing the results of your book cleanse. :roll:

I'm kind of excited about it, because it means my TBR will plummet down (as if...) and I'll have more room for books and I'll be able to rearrange them more nicely. At the same time, though, I'm anxious: what if I'll regret giving up some particular book?? How can I be sure of what to take away? I wish I had a booky friend I could discuss each possible candidate with.

Edited by frankie