Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

Haha Frankie is that a pun?

It sure is and somebody was going to say it eventually :roll:

Edit: or then I'm wrong and I am the only one with very bad taste in puns :smile2:

Edited by frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the bookstore today, just to have a quick look. I didn't expect to find anything there really, but coincidentally there was this buy 3 books for 10e -sale, and I saw a paperback copy of Volter Kilpi's Alastalon salissa and I just had to have it, I've been trying to find a copy of it for years! I then chose to also get Rhett Butler's People which sounded really interesting, and then grabbed The Mephisto-club. Then I went to run some errands and then decided to treat myself to visiting a charityshop from where I happened to find The God of Small Things and The Decameron, and I had to have them as well :D An excellent trip!

I enjoyed The Mephisto Club but it did get a bit weird at the end, hope you like it. Have you read the rest of the series?

Well, to be honest, I haven't read a single Gerritsen novel yet :D I've just been collecting the books (from charityshops and secondhand bookshops) because I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the series. At the buy 3 for 10e -sale there wasn't that much to choose from and I was pretty desperate to find the third novel to suit my taste. There was actually this man who kept going around the table like I did, he only had one book, and I kept telling myself go on, ask him if he's having hard time finding other great books from the bunch, maybe we could join our forces and get his 1 book and my 2 books as a set of three. But then he bailed :D So I went for the Gerritsen book I knew I didn't have yet ;)

By the way Charm, you'll be happy to know that on Monday I found out that the Black Dagger Brotherhood -series has been bought to the library's collection and I'll be able to check it out :D

Well, to be honest, I haven't read a single Gerritsen novel yet :D I've just been collecting the books (from charityshops and secondhand bookshops) because I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the series. At the buy 3 for 10e -sale there wasn't that much to choose from and I was pretty desperate to find the third novel to suit my taste. There was actually this man who kept going around the table like I did, he only had one book, and I kept telling myself go on, ask him if he's having hard time finding other great books from the bunch, maybe we could join our forces and get his 1 book and my 2 books as a set of three. But then he bailed ;) So I went for the Gerritsen book I knew I didn't have yet :D

I'm shocked! You haven't read any Gerritsen yet? The series (which begins with The Surgeon btw) is brilliant, you'd love it!

By the way Charm, you'll be happy to know that on Monday I found out that the Black Dagger Brotherhood -series has been bought to the library's collection and I'll be able to check it out :lol:

Brilliant news! Oh I hope you like it, it's pretty racy stuff! :D

I'm shocked! You haven't read any Gerritsen yet? The series (which begins with The Surgeon btw) is brilliant, you'd love it!

I know! But there's always something else to read, it's never on the top of my TBR list :D And my copy of The Surgeon is real ugly, is nasty! But like you said, I'm rather confident that I'll enjoy it (and then curse myself for not having started the series before!)

Brilliant news! Oh I hope you like it, it's pretty racy stuff! :D

I kinda figured it, the covers of the copies I saw (the first book in the series wasn't there, otherwise I would've borrowed it) were racy themselves. I'm not quite sure if they prove to be too dirty for me, but I'll find out soon enough, and without spending my money on it ;)

Book 24. Gold by Dan Rhodes

My first Dan Rhodes novel, recommended by tunn300 (thanks!). Rhodes proves that one can write an excellent novel with a very simple storyline if one adds quirky characters, anecdotes from their past and writes all this down while grinning to themselves. I loved the characters (especially Hughes Puw Hughes) and there were some really delicious incidents. The bit that made me laugh out loud was when

the host in The Boat Inn heard that it was chic to treat your customers with contempt these days, and he started cussing them ;) The best bit was when the reverend came to eat at the inn and the host referred to the ale smelling like the reverend's wife's private bits :friends0:

An excellent read, Dan Rhodes is definitely someone to watch out for :lol: 5/5

Edited by frankie

Really glad you enjoyed it Frankie. Am currently awaiting on another of his books to arrive - Anthropology.

I hope you enjoy that one :lol: I was at the library yesterday and picked that up but because it was just short stories I didn't feel like reading it. I went for the Timoleon Vieta Come Home instead, I just hope it's not too much for me because I've heard it's really sad (I don't want to deal with sad dog books).

Book 24. Gold by Dan Rhodes

My first Dan Rhodes novel, recommended by tunn300 (thanks!). Rhodes proves that one can write an excellent novel with a very simple storyline if one adds quirky characters, anecdotes from their past and writes all this down while grinning to themselves. I loved the characters (especially Hughes Puw Hughes) and there were some really delicious incidents. The bit that made me laugh out loud was when

the host in The Boat Inn heard that it was chic to treat your customers with contempt these days, and he started cussing them :) The best bit was when the reverend came to eat at the inn and the host referred to the ale smelling like the reverend's wife's private bits :lol:

An excellent read, Dan Rhodes is definitely someone to watch out for :D 5/5

Really glad you enjoyed it Frankie. I have now received Anthropology, one of his earlier books, through the post. It is 101 stories which are under 150 words about love. Have read the first couple and they are ok. Not sure I will like it as much as Gold though.

I didn't enjoy Anthropology one bit, but if Gold is better I might like that...?

I haven't read Anthropology myself, but didn't even feel interested because it's just real short stories. Gold on the other hand is a novel, 151 pages in my edition. I loved the simplicity of the story but more than that I loved the characters, they were all so quirky in their own ways and I could very easily read a sequel about them :D I think you'd benefit from reading tunn300's review on his reading blog, he made some great points about the novel not being full of twists and turns but rather real simple. It's not for everyone but I loved it, I want to read it again and own the book :lol:

Hi Frankie, have you heard of 'Little Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes come out this year? (only in HB atm) That is the only one that really catches my eye by him and is on my wishlist. :)

I'd read that he would have a new book out at some point during 2010 but I didn't know it's been published already. I read the blurb and it sounds like it's right up my alley, I wants the book! :lol: Thanks for the info, this one's going on my wishlist, pronto! :D

I'd read that he would have a new book out at some point during 2010 but I didn't know it's been published already. I read the blurb and it sounds like it's right up my alley, I wants the book! :lol: Thanks for the info, this one's going on my wishlist, pronto! :D

Glad to hear it! It does sound great! :)

Book 24. Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

I picked this one up purely because it's on the Rory Gilmore book list, but I also know the movie is a classic and I figured it would make a decent read. I've never watched the movie so I was unfamiliar with the story which definitely maybe it more enjoyable to read. I won't bother writing down the synopsis because some of you must have seen the movie and besides, the blurb on my edition gave away some of the details I would've liked to read in the story itself.

The book is quite short (237 pages) and it's a really easy read and also very compelling: when I picked it up I couldn't bring myself to putting it down. I was rather surprised at how creepy the book was and how Levin was able to create this haunting atmosphere. Yikes!

I was also kind of surprised at how quickly the book came to an end, and what the end result was.

It was a slight disappointment and it had the word 'sequel' written all over it. I just might read the sequel someday if it's easily attainable but I wouldn't put it at the top of my wishlist at this point.

Overall a very gripping read for me at least, I had to give it 5/5.

Borrowed these from the library yesterday&today:

H. G. Wells: The Island of Dr Moreau

Joseph Heller: Catch-22

John Kennedy Toole: The Neon Bible

Oscar Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Ira Levin: Son of Rosemary

Ann Radcliffe: A Sicilian Romance

Sylvia Plath: Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams

Arthur Conan Doyle: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Sapphire: Push (or Precious)

Vigd