Ruth's reading in 2010

Ruth

I agree I love all the Andre Camilleri's books they are brilliant I even went out and bought the last one just to read it in hardback. Did or have you ever seen the TV series (Italian shown on BBC4) it was great I have been trying to get hold of the DVD for ages but its really expensive.

Northanger Abbey is one of my favourite Austen's too :smile2:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickle, I was aware of a Montalbano series, and would very much like to see it. Like you though, I can't find it anywhere at a reasonable price!

I really liked Northanger Abbey. It seems to be the most maligned Austen book, but I thought it was delightful, although on balance I think I still prefer Persuasion.

About to start Lucy's Child, by Shaun Hutson, which according to LibraryThing has been on my tbr for about 3 years!:D So I guess it's time I got around to it!

Well, Lucy's Child was certainly fast paced, but clunky writing, characters who I couldn't feel anything for, and the author's apparent desire to shoehorn explicit sex scenes into the story for no apparent reason, meant that I didn't really enjoy it too much.

I'm about to start another book which has been on my tbr for longer than I can remember - The Vanishing, by Tim Krabbe.

The Vanishing was an unusual book - very intriguing though, and I would recommend it to fans of psychological mysteries.

Next up is Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult. This will be my third book by this author, and I really enjoyed the other two, so hopefully this will be a good read as well.

Just finished reading Hawk, by Brian Neary. It was a good read, and I'd definitely read more in this series about CIA Agent Quentin Hawk. The only thing I'd say is that it was perhaps a bit overlong. The same story could have been told with about 100 pages less.

Next up is the fourth and final book in the Big Stone Gap series, by Adriana Trigiani - I have loved this series so far, and have a good feeling about this one!:D

I did, but honestly if you're even a little bit squeamish, I wouldn't recommend it! It's about a girl who wants to know what people see just before they die - and if they find themselves in the dark room which she found herself in when she almost died - with everyone who she has ever slighted or offended waiting to take their revenge.

I've just finished 84 Charing Cross Road, by Helene Hanff. It was lovely and charming, and I have a feeling I will be reading it several more times in the future.:irked:

Next up is Country Pursuits by Jo Carnegie.

I enjoyed Country Pursuits - it was good fun and made me laugh out loud on a number of occasions, even though chicklit is not normally I genre I go for.

I went to see Derren Brown on Friday night (he was brilliant), so I'm now going to read his book Tricks of the Mind:)

Finished Excellent Women - it was enjoyable and amusing for the most part, but I got frustrated with the main character!

About to start reading The Patience of the Spider, which is the next book in the Inspector Montalbano series, which I have loved so far:)

Just finished The Patience of the Spider, by Andrea Camilleri, which is the 8th book in the Inspector Montalbano series. I enjoyed it a lot, but not quite as much as the others in the series (I guessed who had done what fairly early on).

My next book is going to be Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger. I can't believe that I have never read it, and as it has been on my tbr for ages, I thought it was time I got around to it:)

Can't wait to hear what you think of 'Catcher in the Rye' .. I haven't read it but people seem to be divided about it, it's a bit of a Marmite book.

It's a book I want to read because it's regarded as a classic, and therefore should be read, but I haven't got around to it yet ... other books just keep getting in the way.

Hope you enjoy it Ruth :blush:

Just finished The Patience of the Spider, by Andrea Camilleri, which is the 8th book in the Inspector Montalbano series. I enjoyed it a lot, but not quite as much as the others in the series (I guessed who had done what fairly early on).

My next book is going to be Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger. I can't believe that I have never read it, and as it has been on my tbr for ages, I thought it was time I got around to it:)

I read this last year as I thought that it was a book that I should have read. I am pleased that I have read it, but probably wouldn't bother to read it again.....it will be interesting to know your thoughts! :blush:

I'd had it sitting on my shelf for ages, and I also thought it was a book I that I really should read. I was pleasantly surprised by it, in that it was a lot more readable than I expected.

My next book is going to be The Good Thief, by Hannah Tinti.

The Good Thief was an enjoyable read. I thought the author captured the time and place - the underbelly of 19th century New England - really well. The only thing that spoiled it somewhat was that there were a couple of coincidences in the storyline which seemed too much to expect the reader to believe.

I'd definitely read something else by this author though - overall an interesting and enjoyable read.

My next read is a very quick one - Traitors of the Tower, by Alison Weir.

Finished Traitors of the Tower (it's only 75 pages long). I've given it 3 out of 5, because although it doesn't delve into anything too deeply, I think it's a good introduction to the subject, and the style of writing is lively and engaging.

My next read will be The Pursuit of Love, by Nancy Mitford.

Perhaps it wasn't the right time for me to read it - I did think it was witty and quite amusing in places, but I really did not like the character of Linda Radlett - she was just so selfish and thoughtless. I liked the rest of the family though:)

Next book is After You'd Gone, by Maggie O'Farrell.

Yes, I enjoyed it. The writing flowed easily and I kept thinking that I'd just read a few more pages before I put it down for a bit. I did think it got a bit ridiculous in the final third of the book, but the ending itself was very good, and I would definitely read more by this author.

Next read is The Dare, by John Boyne.

Finished The Dare (it's only 101 pages, and it's one of the Quick Read series). Enjoyable read, but obviously due to the length, there isn't a lot of time for character development.

My next book is going to be The Equivoque Principle, by Darren Craske:)