Top Posters In This Topic

Books Read:

1. Terry Pratchett: The Truth

2. Terry Pratchett: The Last Hero

3. Toby Litt: Beatnix

4. Emily Bronte: Agnes Grey

5. Katy Gardner: The Mermaid's Purse

Edited by Kate

I am starting this year by reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Never read his work before so am looking forward to it; and so far (19 pages :D) so good!

Edited by Kate

I've read the first story in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed it :) I've also been listening to The Truth by Terry Pratchett to continue my Discworld challenge

Good look with this years target Kate, you have set yourself a bit of a challenge, wow! I have no doubt after last years total that you will manage it, though.

Happy Reading Kate! :lol: I dare say you will have no trouble reaching your target of 150, sometimes I wonder how you get the time to eat and breathe! :)

I have The Book Of Lost Things on my wishlist too, so I'll be looking out for your thoughts on it :)

I finished The Truth yesterday. It was very good :roll: I will add it to my list of reviews I need to write. I'm now listening to Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I've never read anything by Anne, but have read Charlotte and Emily so will be interested in how she compares.

I do hope so Ben!

Book number two is done: The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. I know I missed out Thief of Time, attempting to get my hands on it. Even though it was short I enjoyed it. Teaming Carrot with Rincewind in my opinion was genius. A full review will follow, but I was not let down by this beauty :)

I’ve decided to make some reading plans as we approach a new year:

- My reading target will be 150

Wow. I'll be lucky if I break the 30 mark! :blush:

Homes: This Book Will Save Your Life

I really liked this. I know some people found it rather slow paced but I enjoyed it. I'll be interested in your thoughts on that one.

Connelly: The Book of Lost Things

Wasn't so keen on this though but will be interested to read your review.

Hiya! I had a go at The Shakespeare Secret thinking it would be right up my street but (gasp) had to give up - I was at a point where I was really bored of the formulaic-conspiracy-theory-dashing-all-over-the-world-with-assassins-on-your-tail thing. Sometimes life is too short.

But 150 books, Kate! Man, I can barely get through five!:lol:

Happy reading, my friend. Happy reading. :blush:

I also had a go at the Shakespeare Secret, it started promisingly but the Shakespearean scholar in me quickly got frustrated at the increasing unbelievability of it all -

the assassin with ninja-like stealth creeping scarily yet seductively around the library was a bit too much for me

! I hope you like it better than I did :blush:.

I also had a go at the Shakespeare Secret, it started promisingly but the Shakespearean scholar in me quickly got frustrated at the increasing unbelievability of it all -

the assassin with ninja-like stealth creeping scarily yet seductively around the library was a bit too much for me

! I hope you like it better than I did :blush:.

It's around this point that I hurled it over my shoulder into the aether...

I'm back doing dissertation reading again - fun. Currently reading Beatniks by Toby Litt. Read 100 pages this morning. Here is the synopsis from Amazon:

1995, and at a party in Bedford, Mary meets Jack and Neal, a pair of hipsters and self-confessed �Beats� stuck (un)squarely in the sixties. After a �Beat (not-quite) Happening� at the local library, the three of them (and Neal�s cat Koko) set off in Mary�s Vauxhall on a road trip to Brighton in search of literary fame and fortune. But, this is neither the time nor the place for free love, uncomplicated sex and unrestrained cool � this is 1990s Britain and everything comes with a price �

I don't know; just fiction I think. I did manage to read it in a day. There were parts I didn't enjoy but for the most part it was alright. I would probably give it 3/5. The characters are just stick in the '60s, and at first I thought that to be odd, then realised I knew people like that back in college. It is amazing what drives people and how what they believe makes them act. I found this as interesting read as a social study; looking at people, their influences and their behaviour.

Thanks Janet! The first one is completed: I have just finished Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I've never read any of her novels before and I enjoyed it. I found myself feeling empathy and annoyance, and getting involved with the story. Good classic to start with :lol:

ETA: forgot to mention my next audiobook will be Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe as I want to read some of the books from this Banned Books list, although as I don't plan to read all of them it is not a "formal" challenge

Edited by Kate

I'm looking forward to getting into it too!

Currently reading The Mermaid's Purse. The further in I get, the better the book gets. Here is the Waterstones synopsis:

Cass Bainbridge is being stalked ? New job, new home, new life ? Cass has moved to Brighton to start over as a lecturer at the university. But she?s already acquired some unwanted baggage. Someone?s watching her ? they?ve even taken photos. She?s being followed, too. And then there are the anonymous and threatening emails she?s receiving. With an unknown assailant attacking students on campus, Cass fears for her life. Is she to be the next random victim? Or is there a more sinister reason she?s been targeted?

Unsure as to why there are a load of random question marks in that quote....:friends0: