Sherlock Holmes, the movie

SueK

What are most people's view of this film?

I am a die hard Sherlockian and am finding it difficult to come to terms with what Guy Ritchie has done to our sleuth. He seems to have turned him into a "geezer" with Downey looking decidedly the worse for wear. I gather he has taken out any idea of drug taking but giving an undertone of cosy domesticity to Holmes and Watson(!).

I suppose I will sum up the courage to go and see this when it is on general release after Christmas and I shouldn't have pre-conceived ideas, maybe just enjoy it as an action film but I know I will get annoyed if he doesn't come up to my expectations!

For me, Jeremy Brett will always be the definitive Holmes.

I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan, in fact, I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book or watched any television or film adaptations of them either, but having seen the trailer for the film, I can't wait to see it. The cinematography in the trailer looks amazing, and the whole film seems to have a very epic feel to it. I love both Robert Downey Jr and Rachel McAdams (although I believe the female roles are pretty limited) so that's a big draw for me to see a film as well. I've also never seen a Guy Ritchie film, so I've got no preconceived ideas about what his film making style and skills are which is probably a good thing to stop me prejudging it.

Believe me, I wish I wasn't a Holmes purist, I am my own worst enemy:irked:

I love Robert Downey too but for me, he will always be Chaplin.:D

:17:

I can't stand Guy Richie films so i will be avoiding this like the plague. I will just continue to watch Jeremy Brett and pretend that this film does not exist

I haven't read any of the books, but my boyfriend tells me that they have a very humorous tone and plenty of action - as they seem to be portrayed in the film, so I suppose they're keeping things in context with the novels at least in some aspect. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :17:

I've seen a couple of interviews in the last day or so (Graham Norton and BBC Breakfast - yes, I was stuck in a Travelodge in London last night . . .) and the party line seems to be "It all comes from the original source material" (with the exception of the plot).

How true that is - and how many liberties they have taken - I have no idea, but it looks like a lot of fun, and it's something I'd like to see!

Wow, are you all talking about a different movie to the one I've seen previews of? :17:

I thought it would be worth checking out but I saw the preview the other day and there is no way in heck I'll be watching it. I've only read two of the books so far, but from what I know of the books and what I've seen of the movie, they bear absolutely no resemblance to each other except for the fact that there are two characters named Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. :D

The movie looks very action-oriented, which is nothing like the books at all. It looks like they've completely butchered it. :D Holmes and Watson in the preview were acting nothing like they do in the books. I can't begin to tell you how ridiculous I think it all is.

Cohen and Ferrell in another Holmes movie? OMG, they are my least favourite comedians (and I use that term very loosely in respect to them) ever.

This is sheer blasphemy! I need to go and lie down...Wake me when it's all over. :(

(I can't believe you're all looking forward to this so much!)

Speaking for myself, I'm just viewing this as a bit of fun - it is so over the top that it clearly isn't trying to be a faithful adaptation (despite all the "it was in the books!" comments they are rolling out).

Downey Jr. was great in Iron Man, and looks like he's playing this in a similar vein - should be good!

I gather he has taken out any idea of drug taking but giving an undertone of cosy domesticity to Holmes and Watson(!).

See, even this annoys me. One of the things that I've found makes the books really interesting is the realisation that Holmes uses cocaine on a regular basis. Why would they leave that out?

Grr...I better leave this thread now. :17: Maybe I should watch the preview again; I must be missing something.

See, even this annoys me. One of the things that I've found makes the books really interesting is the realisation that Holmes uses cocaine on a regular basis. Why would they leave that out?

Although they did show Holmes taking drugs when they first started the Jeremy Brett series, they dropped it quite quickly (mainly because Brett didn't like the idea of children watching the show and thinking it was a good thing to do).

I don't believe the stories suffered because of that, so I wouldn't have a problem with any future adaptation that left it out.

Must say i'm looking forward to this :D. Downey Jr is always worth a watch and i have a thing for Jude Law so this is 2 for the price of 1 for me :D.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes fan but have seen 1 or 2 episodes staring Jeremy Brett which i enjoyed. In the hype for this i thought Law played Sherlock Holmes, i'm surprised he's the 'side-kick'.

Hope it's as exciting as it appears in the trailers :17: .

Are you asking to be my arch nemi...nemo..neminiminimes....nemesis? :17:

Believe me, Chrissy, Moriarty is a pussycat compared to me:lol:

Grr...I better leave this thread now. :D Maybe I should watch the preview again; I must be missing something.

Oh dear Kylie, seems like you and me are going to have apoplexy over this film:mrgreen:.

The cocaine scenario was alluded to in the Brett series as you often saw the syringe in his draw and Watson's comments but that was about it.

Last night Jonathan Ross had a preview on his Film programme. I feel even less like seeing it now. I couldn't understand a word Downey said and apparently the story starts just as he is about to be married! What?!? We all know Holmes hates women (he admired Irene Adler as she outwitted him) but that is the only mention of a woman in his life.

Grrr ..........

• 2 weeks later...

Grr...I better leave this thread now. :kissing: Maybe I should watch the preview again; I must be missing something.

In the beginning of the film, Holmes is crawling about on the floor, and using the apartment wall for target practice as he is developing a silencer.....he is very obviously spaced out on something, and knowing Holmes addiction it's not a difficult guess. Watson speaks of finding a case to occupy Holmes mind. All of that is typical of the original stories. I am a Holmes die-hard fan, I've read them all. Mostly when I was a kid, but have followed Holmes closely.

I've seen a couple of interviews in the last day or so (Graham Norton and BBC Breakfast - yes, I was stuck in a Travelodge in London last night . . .) and the party line seems to be "It all comes from the original source material" (with the exception of the plot).

How true that is - and how many liberties they have taken - I have no idea, but it looks like a lot of fun, and it's something I'd like to see!

I highly recommend the film. To me it fleshed out Sherlock Holmes, the eccentric brain of a man. It gave him the flesh and bone I always suspected was there, hoped was there.

I wasn't always a fan of this film. We only went to see it last night, completely on a whim. My original thought when the advertisements came out a while back was something like.....yeech, a Holmes that sweats?? Ewwwww!

I was sooooo wrong. Yes, Holmes sweats. He boxes [from the original stories!], and is into all manner of physical activity that was necessary for someone that accomplished what Holmes managed.

Robert Downey, Jr. gave a wonderful, physical, just twitchy enough performance to capture me. Jude Law was excellent as Watson, the way Watson should have been, would have to have been to have for Holmes to have kept him around all those years, depending on him, as he obviously did.

Edited by pontalba

And I'm just going to reiterate what was said above (or below depending on how you have your forum settings..) I for one loved the film; the acting was fantastic, the plot decent enough to carry it through two hours ten minutes (or something like that). One thing I will say though, is that I have never read any of the books or followed Holmes before, so I could therefore not be affected by any book-to-film adaptation that may have occurred. It was great though and I would recommend it to everyone.. worth seeing, at the least to see what you think of it.

I have all the Brett episodes and I think he is the best Holmes so far, the oft cited Rathbone films were good detective films but he was no Holmes and don't get me going about how Nigel Bruce ruined the role of Watson. I think I will watch this new film when it comes out on DVD and then just mentally file it away with all the other portrayals of Holmes over the years. After all it can't be any worse than Pete and Duds version or even Roger Moore as Holmes.

Oh and how many of these have you seen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_Sherlock_Holmes

Wow, Pontalba. I think you've done the impossible and almost convinced me that this movie might be worth seeing. :kissing: Thanks for the review!

:mrgreen:Thanks Kylie, I didn't sit down to write a review really, just comment on a couple of posts, but got carried away. :D

As Ben mentioned, it's plot can carry it, and the acting is fantastic.

I had several Laugh out Loud moments, the dialog was rich with a dry wit, and some ribald as well, but there was no vulgarity.

You know another thing I liked about it was the portrayal of London herself, nothing pristine as some films depict, after all that time frame was a pretty gritty and dirty time.....but the film doesn't just show that, it shows the richness and the depth of the colors. The huge chains they used to move things around on the river and the ship builders scene was worth it's weight in gold. I'll shut up now. :)

Well, almost....Vlad, I love the wiki list, I have seen a number of those actors play Holmes, and I love the Brett version as well, and always considered it perfect. Those scripts didn't allow for the physicality...most of the time. It was still only hinted at, it's a shame, Brett could have carried it off well I think. A great actor.

Edited by pontalba
additional thought

I had several Laugh out Loud moments, the dialog was rich with a dry wit, and some ribald as well, but there was no vulgarity.

I am SO glad about that - it would have been plain WRONG to have vulgarity in a Holmes film - just not in the spirit of things at all, so I'm glad they haven't stuffed that up!. :kissing: Looking forward to seeing it more than ever now!