Noll's 2010 Reading List

Nollaig

That's a pretty terrible link, you'd think the author would like a lot more substance behind something that is apparently meant to be central to the story :D I read the review and it seems very disappointing and rather pointless and a little silly, this was actually going to be on my TBR radar.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read mixed things and it doesn't seem attractive or necessary to read and it is interesting to hear a board member's opinion on it :D I am gonna check out some of Murakami's other titles however!

I've only read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but that has an actual plot and story, and I quite enjoyed it, however, it is quite long (600 pages and tiny font) and it felt like I was reading it forever and not really making much headway with it, so I'd say perhaps try another of his books? Sorry you didn't enjoy it though, always sucks when that happens x

Yeah I was thinking about it; it's not really like me to be so easily deterred. I like to give authors a fair chance, but I can't afford to be buying books I won't like. I'll see. In my local Waterstones, there is a '3 for 2' offer on all his books, and if I liked Norwegian Wood, I was going to pick up another three and get them for essentially 6 quid each, which is a nice deal on new books in WS. But then if I just bought 3 books I don't like.....

I was talking to my sis and she was saying how her boyfriend likes a couple of Murakami's work including NW, it's a lot of love and hate I guess. I might see if he has any other titles of his.

Yeah I see what you mean, can't you just buy 1 of his books and 2 of something else? That way it's not so bad if you don't like the next book.

If there is anything else in the offer - I didn't see anything else I had any interest in when I was in there, which is what led to the 3 Murakami things. I'll see anyway, either way I'm not that fussed.

Rawr, ask him WHAT he liked about it. I'd love to know.

He has funny tastes, he is obsessed with that pc game called Civilization and constantly tells me when i'm working, to buy them all and set up an empire with him :D I will enquire what he found good about it.

• 2 weeks later...

My reading has been crippled lately by tv, illness and not being at home. It's terrible! I should have finished Something Wicked This Way Comes some time last week, and I still have another 60 pages to go, which, due to the interval of several days between reading sessions, I've completely lost the run of. It's a book you get swept away in, and, to extend that metaphor, I found a lifeboat, rowed home and am now metaphorically sitting on the shore and looking at the plot going crazy way off the distance.

Still haven't finished Jonathan Strange, but at least that's easy to pick up and get back into.

I will be interested to know what you think as to Bradbury's title. I am reading Fahrenheit 451 at the moment. He's a great writer!

God no. I've only 60 pages left and I'm dying to get onto my other books. I love SWTWC, it's a really 'pretty' book, and I've quoted half of it in a .doc anyway. His way of describing ordinary things is amazing, he puts an unusual spin on everything, and I think the best words to describe said unusual spin would be 'cynical' or 'true'. It's virtually always both, but it never fails to be the latter.

Okay, I need a To-Do list for my personal bookblog as it's falling behind. I'm actually unsure whether I want to keep it or not. I think it looks pretty, less bloggy and more website-y than most what with no archive and clicking links to access everything, but it's a lot of hassle keeping it all together. I'll keep at it for now, anyway.

To Do:

Editing:

- 2010 Reading List

- Adding Star-Ratings (In progress)

- Adding Upcoming Reads

- Reconstructing Classics Collection (In progress)

- Adding Updates Page

Write up reviews for:

- The Magicians

- Something Wicked This Way Comes

Format reviews for:

- Norwegian Wood

Others to add to personal bookblog:

- If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things

- Hector & The Search For Happiness

- Oscar Wilde: A Life In Letters

Edited by Nollaig

I finished The Coldfire Trilogy.

I can't write an in-depth review of the second book, as there isn't a lot to say, and I've written bucketloads on the first book and have a lot to say on the third. So what I'm going to do is tailor a concise review of the trilogy as a whole for this place, and possibly rant in depth on my own blog.

Right, I finished I, Lucifer, which started out brilliantly but declined rather steadily from about the halfway mark until it almost perked up during the very rushed ending. Worth a read, if you're okay with insane amounts of expletives (often blasphemous) and sex or sex-related things, because other than it's ability to gross me out at times, it's hilarious, very well written, and has some absolutely fantastic passages.

Currently reading: No Way To Say Goodbye (a.k.a. Apart From The Crowd, in Ireland) by Anna McPartlin, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Her books always crack me up, tug the ole heart strings and are easy to read.

Also joining in with a re-read of Wuthering Heights, which is a nice distraction from all the new stories I'm forcing into my cranium lately.

Next up: Probably Vlad by C. C. Humphreys.

Is there a mass re-read of Wuthering Heights going on? I have that and it is fairly high on my TBR list, maybe I should raise it up and get a move on with reading it if others are going to be discussing it.

In the Rory Gilmore challenge thread. CaliLily, Frankie, Kylie, Ooshie, Kate and I are all reading it. (There might be more, not sure). There's no massive discussion going on as everyone is still reading it, some only a short way into it, but I just added my thoughts on the entire Cathy-Heathcliff pairing.

I may read it as I have seen it recommended quite a bit around here over the last year and I do have it in my possession :lol: