Addicted To A Series?

Katrina1968

Do you find yourself wanting to read only series books? I dont know, for me, it seems like once I start a series, I'm not satisfied til I own the complete set (no matter how many). Its safe to say that I will do about 4-5 series a year, depending.

Right now I'm working on The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I have all the books except the last one.

Next year I have the Jan Karon series to re-visit. I love the At Home In Mitford. I havent forgotten Edmund Rutherford either!:D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, there are several series to which I am completely addicted and I get hold of each one as soon after publication as possible. Mostly they tend to come out just before my birthday or just before Xmas, so I get a lot of them for gifts (hurrah!). THe main contenders are:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Simon Scarrow's Romans series

Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series

Add to that anything written by Christopher Brookmyre, Stuart Macbride and the other books by Kelley Armstrong and you've got the gist of my "permanent collection"!

Right now I'm working on The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I have all the books except the last one.

I just started Outlander this week and am loving it! It's so different and unique from anything else I've read. If there isn't already a thread out there for this in particular we should start one because I would love to talk more about it.

I'm addicted to the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It's about a lingere buyer who loses her job in Trenton, NJ and is forced to get a job at her cousin's bail bonds office as a bounty hunter. She is afraid of her gun and usually ends up in some hillarious situation resulting in her car getting blown-up. There is also a love triangle that is one of the best I've ever read.

Another great series is the Immortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. It is about a group of people called Shadow Hunters or Nephilim (half human half angels) who hunt demons. It is sort of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Harry Potter.

You're right Katrina. There are 12.

The 12th was written by someone who's name I forget, who compiled the text from Jordan's notes. However, the notes were so extensive and the story is so large that the final part of the series will be a trilogy - two more books to come. So there will be 14 in all.

For the longest time I've loved Iain Pears' set of 7 cozy mysteries, all involving Jonathan Argyle, an art dealer. They are set in the current time period, but all have to do with art thefts of classic paintings. A great series, and hilarious! :D

I also loved the late Kate Ross's set of 4 Julian Kestrel mysteries. Those being set in regency period England. It's so sad to know that his story won't be continued.

I have loads of series that I love to read ~

Kelley Armstrong - Women Of The Otherworld

Charlaine Harris - Southern Vampires (Sookie Stackhouse) and Harper Connelly series

P.C. & Kristin Cast - House Of Night

Stephenie Meyer - Twilight Saga

JK Rowling - Harry Potter series

Patricia Cornwell - Scarpetta series

Kathy Reichs - Brennan series

Tess Gerritsen - Rizzoli/Isles series

To name but a few :D

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

The Chloe Summers series by Kelley Armstrong

The Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong

The Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris

The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

:D

There are only a few that I've become addicted to:

The Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

The Prey Series by John Sandford

The Kidd novels by John Sandford

I also like the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I haven't read very many of them.

I dread being recommended a new author if they have a series of books, because I know that if I enjoy the one, I'll have to get hold of ALL the others.

Just from the crime selection on my shelves a few I have;

Jeffrey Deaver's Lincolm Rhymes

Karin Slaughter's Grant County series and Will Trent series.

Peter Robinson's Alan Banks.

Dorothy L Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey

Val McDermid's Hill & Malone.

Linda Fairstein's Alex Cooper.

Jonathan Kellerman's Alex & Milo.

Faye Kellerman's Decker.

Lisa Gardner's Quincy & Rainie.

I gave my Patricia Cornwells and James Pattersons away!

Other series include

JK Rowling's Harry Potter

Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series

James Clavell's Orient series

I'm a sucker for a series, and once I get involved I have to read them all! Unfortunately, it doesn't stop at just series - if I find an author I like, I will read anything and everything they write, but if I get one of two books I don't enjoy, I may give up and probably never pick up another of theirs - I find it hard to forgive!

These are the ones I've read in the past (series finished) and present (awaiting next book - even in hardback if necessary)

Women of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong

Agatha Raisin - M. C. Beaton

Mapp and Lucia - E. F. Benson

Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot

Mediator - Meg Cabot

Heather Wells Mysteries - Meg Cabot

Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot

House of Night - P. C. and Kristin Cast

Thursday Next - Jasper Fforde

Nursery Crimes - Jasper Fforde

Young Bond - Charlie Higson

Alex Rider - Anthony Horowitz

Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

44 Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith

The Sunday Philosophy Club - Alexander McCall Smith

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Michelle Paver

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Over Christmas I also plan to start the Jeeves and Wooster series by P. G. Wodehouse.

I'm a sucker for a series, and once I get involved I have to read them all! Unfortunately, it doesn't stop at just series - if I find an author I like, I will read anything and everything they write, but if I get one of two books I don't enjoy, I may give up and probably never pick up another of theirs - I find it hard to forgive!

Ditto! Thats why I gave away my Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson series - I had a mass final re read and passed them on.

I also can't believe I forgot about Phillip Pullman and his Dark Materials Trilogy AND Jasper Fforde with both his Thursday Next and Jack Spratt series! :D

I dread being recommended a new author if they have a series of books, because I know that if I enjoy the one, I'll have to get hold of ALL the others.

Me too! I resisted Terry Pratchett for years for this very reason.

Other series I'm addicted to:

Harry Potter

Stephanie Plum

Sookie Stackhouse (well, not yet, but I have all the books)

Thursday Next/Nursery Crimes

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Tomorrow series by John Marsden

I've been thoroughly addicted to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I remember spending my last bit of cash on The Vampire Armand in college one month. :D I also plan on some day reading the entire Discworld series by Terry Prachett. Some day... :lol:

I'm very pleasantly surprised at the amount of folks addicted to Kelley Armstrong. :D

I've just got hold of the 1st 8 Southern Vampire books by Charlaine Harris. I did read the first 4 ages ago, but the 5th one proved stubbornly difficult to get hold of until very recently, so I'm going back and reading them all again then continuing with the series, so I guess that's another series to add to my list - LOL!

The series of books which I own:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

House of Night series by PC And Kristin Cast.

Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella.

Harry Potter by JK Rowling.

I don't own many (there are a lot more on my wishlist thanks to this forum :D). The Sookie Stackhouse series is my favourite, I love Harry Potter too, although I have read them all quite a few times :lol:

I actually try and avoid anything longer than tha trilogy. I pretty much only read what I buy and I only buy to keep and re-read, and I find that few authors write well enough to be allowed to sprawl across my shelves like grapevine. The few that do include Jasper Fforde (whose opera omnia I own) and Terry Pratchett (whose opera omnia I intend to own).

I find that few authors write well enough to be allowed to sprawl across my shelves like grapevine.

Great analogy! :17:

My problem with series such as Stephanie Plum and the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is that, while the books are light, enjoyable reading, they don't exactly blow my mind, and I find that they get a bit samey (well, Stephanie Plum does; I've only read one from the other series so far).

So I have the dilemma of whether or not I should continue buying both series, not having any idea of when they might end (do I really still want to be following Stephenie when the 30th book comes out?) or should I just stop now and re-read the few books from the series that I do have?

My problem is that I'm a completist, and once I've started, I know it'll be very hard to stop. :D

Great analogy! :17:

My problem with series such as Stephanie Plum and the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is that, while the books are light, enjoyable reading, they don't exactly blow my mind, and I find that they get a bit samey (well, Stephanie Plum does; I've only read one from the other series so far).

So I have the dilemma of whether or not I should continue buying both series, not having any idea of when they might end (do I really still want to be following Stephenie when the 30th book comes out?) or should I just stop now and re-read the few books from the series that I do have?

My problem is that I'm a completist, and once I've started, I know it'll be very hard to stop. :D

I love Stephanie Plum but I do agree that it gets a bit predictable after a while. I keep reading/buying them because they are a nice easy read for those days when I don't feel like getting comtenplative about what I'm reading. I just want to sit and have some good Morelli mental candy. :D

Another good series I've been reading lately is the Betsy Taylor series by Mary Janice Davidson. It is a comical vampire series that is very unique and creative.

I went through a phase a few years back of reading Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and Return of the King every year.... but Harry Potter and Twilight I constantly dip into - it's kind of comforting, having a complete series and just picking out the bits you feel like reading, instead of fretting over the next book to come out... not that I don't enjoy that too.... :(

I went through a phase a few years back of reading Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and Return of the King every year.... but Harry Potter and Twilight I constantly dip into - it's kind of comforting, having a complete series and just picking out the bits you feel like reading, instead of fretting over the next book to come out... not that I don't enjoy that too.... :(

Kudos for reading the LOTR series! I've been trying to do that for years but just haven't been able to get more than a few chapters in.

I know what you mean about waiting for a book in a series. You go out the day it comes out, read it in a week and then have to wait a year for the next one. :D There have been a few that I've done that and by the time the next book is coming out I've moved on and am no longer interested.

Echo, what other books did Zimmer Bradley write for the Avalon series? I thought that was the only one.

She wrote a bunch of others (my favorite being Lady of Avalon), and another author with whom she worked closely kept up with the series after Bradley died. I also have Priestess of Avalon and The Forest House, but there are a bunch of others. Just take a look at Amazon.

As for The Lord of the Rings, to be precise, it's NOT a series. It's one book. Tolkien's publishers made the decision to divide the book into three volumes.

Edited by Echo

No one has mentioned Stephen King's Dark Tower series? That tale is phenomenal and epic in every sense of the words. I would also go with Potter and His Dark Materials.