Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

I've read almost 100 pages today. I'm getting through it quickly mostly because it's an excellent book, but also partly because I'm so scared of such big books that I hate to linger over them (if that makes sense). I guess it just depresses me when I feel like a book is taking up so much of my reading time when I have so many others to read. :lol: I frequently look at the chunk of pages I've already read and feel proud of myself for getting through it reasonably quickly. Wow, I sound really weird. :lol:

It makes sense that you want to try and read the chunkiest ones as quickly as possible. Don't feel depressed about the other novels waiting to be read, because you're just flying through GwtW it seems and you'll be finished in no time!

From the 1-2 pages I've read myself so far (:lol:) the style of the writing will probably be the biggest problem for me, it's so descriptive and detailed. I'd like to get on with the plot, not the colour on people's hair, eyes, pants, jackets, ... and the list goes on and on!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I guess it just depresses me when I feel like a book is taking up so much of my reading time when I have so many others to read...I frequently look at the chunk of pages I've already read and feel proud of myself for getting through it reasonably quickly. Wow, I sound really weird. :lol:

I know what you mean. I'm off this week but when I'm at work and only get to read when I'm tired in the evenings I can get to the weekend and only have read 50 pages or so. Makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

But today I'm proud of myself for finishing Sabriel in less than a day. 366 pages! (it's quite large print but don't tell anyone)

Now I have to decide what to read next. Maybe I'll finally get through Dorian Gray. Want to get through as many small books as I can before I go back to work.

From the 1-2 pages I've read myself so far (:lol:) the style of the writing will probably be the biggest problem for me, it's so descriptive and detailed. I'd like to get on with the plot, not the colour on people's hair, eyes, pants, jackets, ... and the list goes on and on!!

Uh oh :lol: I hope it won't get worse for you then. There are rather lengthy descriptions of the Civil War that I'm going through at the moment. I don't mind it though, because I find that I'm learning a lot about the war (even though it's hard to follow geographically, because I don't know where all the places lay in relation to each other).

Sometimes I really hate lengthy descriptions (my main gripe with Lord of the Rings) but I find that it helps paint a very descriptive picture in GwtW.

I know what you mean. I'm off this week but when I'm at work and only get to read when I'm tired in the evenings I can get to the weekend and only have read 50 pages or so. Makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

But today I'm proud of myself for finishing Sabriel in less than a day. 366 pages! (it's quite large print but don't tell anyone)

Now I have to decide what to read next. Maybe I'll finally get through Dorian Gray. Want to get through as many small books as I can before I go back to work.

That tends to happen to me on the weekend. I make no plans and decide to get through a good chunk of my book, and I'm lucky to read 10 pages in 2 days. I should be more disciplined by now! And I get so annoyed with myself at the end of the weekend. And this happens every weekend!

Congrats on getting through such a long book in one day! It doesn't matter if it was larger print; it still works out at quite an achievement! :lol:

That tends to happen to me on the weekend. I make no plans and decide to get through a good chunk of my book, and I'm lucky to read 10 pages in 2 days. I should be more disciplined by now! And I get so annoyed with myself at the end of the weekend. And this happens every weekend!

Congrats on getting through such a long book in one day! It doesn't matter if it was larger print; it still works out at quite an achievement! :lol:

Thanks :lol: I don't think I'd have managed the same if it was Gone With teh Wind. Teh! Why do I always hit the e before I hit the h?

I do that all the time at the weekend. I wouldn't mind if it was because I had done something else instead but I haven't. Just sat clciking on the same internet pages again and again.

Right. I am now going to emerge from bed and pick a book to read.

I wouldn't mind if it was because I had done something else instead but I haven't. Just sat clciking on the same internet pages again and again.

Me too! It makes it even more frustrating, because not only do I not get any reading done, but I have wasted all that time doing absolutely nothing productive. :lol:

WOW! Go Katrina!

My OH went out last night and me being a wuss decided not to read The Shining in the house on my own, so I started Kiss of Shadows instead. I'm only a few chapters in so it's too early to tell whether I'm going to like this series.

This is in the running for the March Reading Circle (it has received a big chunk of the votes so far). You should go have a looksy. :lol:

Thanks Chrissy, I voted for it yesterday, I didn`t really expect to read it so quickly. :lol: There are some interesting looking books in the vote. :lol:

Thanks Chrissy, I voted for it yesterday, I didn`t really expect to read it so quickly. :lol: There are some interesting looking books in the vote. :lol:

Oops! :lol:

I think it's one I'll have to get myself whether it's chosen for the RC or not, I keep hearing such good things about it.:)

Oops! :lol:

I think it's one I'll have to get myself whether it's chosen for the RC or not, I keep hearing such good things about it.:lol:

I would definately recommend both, ATSS and Kite Runner.

(and I appreciated the thought :lol:)

Just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. Hopefully Nollaig won't kill me but I found it quite disappointing. Sowwee

I'll let you off I suppose :D

I've read a bit more of Norwegian Wood but I've mostly been reading up on the evolution of vertebrate life on earth :readingtwo:

I'm half way through The Shining and so far nothing has happened! I'm starting to get bored. Could someone please tell me livens up? Please!?!

Am also half way through Kiss of Shadows and I have to say it's pretty weird. There's a 13 for tall guy with a pig face and a half fairy with tentacles and I'm not sure I can suspend belief that far, but I'll finish the book now I've started it.

The Shining is amazing from the outset imo! The character and situation of Jack is very real and that in itself is disturbing enough on so many levels, but especially more so as the tale unravels. A lot of events start occurring a little ways in, mostly when the winter begins to creep around, and later, enclose the Torrances and darkness begins to ooze into the cracks of many things.

Fantastic story! I am reading this again atm between readings of Under the Dome.

I read around 40 more pages of the latter last night :readingtwo: