Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

I love Chabon, Steeeve, and hope you like the Kavalier and Clay!

Why thank you. It's been one I've been meaning to get for ages. Can finally take it off my ever growing amazon wishlist.

Today I finished Freakonomics and will start reading Sabriel I think.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Waterstones in the vain hope of finding Sherman Alexie's The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fightfight In Heaven, but as I suspected none of his books were there. Refusing to come out empty handed (which probably isn't actually a good thing) I looked around and discovered Elizabeth Kostova's The Swan Thieves reduced to half price, €7.75, until today only! So I grabbed that, and also decided to FINALLY invest in a Murakami, so I chose Norwegian Wood as I remember Mac specificially recommending that one to me. Happy days.

I loved The Secret History Dan! Great book :lol:.

I read up to chapter 10 last night in The Swan Thieves, which is just up to about page 60. I love it so far and can't wait to read more :lol:.

I'm so envious, peacefield! The Swan Thieves will only arrive at my local bookstore later this month - and I just can't wait to read it! How does it compare to The Historian? :lol:

I'm so envious, peacefield! The Swan Thieves will only arrive at my local bookstore later this month - and I just can't wait to read it! How does it compare to The Historian? :lol:

I'm absolutely loving it, Scarlette! I'm only a fraction of the way in but there's lots of lovely facts on art and mythology so far, and the first section is set in Washington, DC so it's really interesting for me. Not to mention the fact that I love Kostova's writing style. I hope you get to read it soon! :lol:

I read up to chapter 10 last night in The Swan Thieves, which is just up to about page 60. I love it so far and can't wait to read more :lol:.

This sounds promising :lol: Can't wait to get my mitts on a copy!

I started Let the Right One In today. I'm about 60 pages in and intrigued but not sure what to make of it yet :lol:

I loved the film and would be interested in seeing how the book compares! I've heard they're not very similar.

I'm absolutely loving it, Scarlette! I'm only a fraction of the way in but there's lots of lovely facts on art and mythology so far, and the first section is set in Washington, DC so it's really interesting for me. Not to mention the fact that I love Kostova's writing style. I hope you get to read it soon! :lol:

Sounds great Marcia. :lol: I'm resisting the temptation to start it as it's over 500 very large pages, and I'm still working on Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I'd rather stick to shorter reads alongside that.

:lol: Good idea, Noll! I've got Strange on my shelf to TBR. How are you finding it?

It's fantastic! I'm almost up to the halfway mark - it's surprisingly easy to read alongside other books; it's so easy to dip in and out and if I can remember the events of it for days at a time ANYBODY can.

I stared The Reader a couple of days ago. Halfway through and not too sure how I'm feeling about it. A co-worker kind of discouraged me from continuing reading it. He said it was a terrible book with a terrible ending. :S anyone read it and think differently?

Also, just got back from an advanced screening of Dear John. It was a cute movie but I hated the few changes they made from the book. If it works fine in the book, why change it?! ugh.

I read about 150 more pages of Under the Dome, it's gotten more interesting, but is not one of King's best by a longshot. The plot is interesting enough however.

Holy heck! And it seems like you're enjoying it too. CaliLily, what are we going to do?? I'm thinking I'll buy an abridged version :lol:

I've read almost 100 pages today. I'm getting through it quickly mostly because it's an excellent book, but also partly because I'm so scared of such big books that I hate to linger over them (if that makes sense). I guess it just depresses me when I feel like a book is taking up so much of my reading time when I have so many others to read. :lol: I frequently look at the chunk of pages I've already read and feel proud of myself for getting through it reasonably quickly. Wow, I sound really weird. :lol:

Today I got JG Ballard's Crash in the mail. It should be an interesting read.