Every Man Dies Alone (US) Alone In Berlin (UK+) by Hans Fallada

Adrienne

I had to cheat on "The Great Influenza" since Every Man Dies Alone was only a two week library checkout. I really enjoyed this book. Since I don't have enough posts I can't add a link to the Amazon review but I am sure you are all fantastic at working search engines:lol:

Basically this book is about the Gestapo files on the Otto and Elise Hampel case where they were charged with high treason for spreading postcards with anti-Nazi propaganda in various buildings during the war.

This book at times can be both uplifting and horrifying. It gives detailed descriptions of the interrogation techniques of the SS and Gestapo. It also gives a glimpse into the goodness that still existed during this horrific period of time. I loved the ending, it was a great way to wrap up the book. For being written in 24 days it is highly coherent and enjoyable even with several subplots. I look forward to reading more from this author and would highly recommend this book to others.

Hi Adrienne

Just to be clear, I think this is the US title of the book. Over in UK it is known as Alone in Berlin and , I agree, it is a terrific book and as you say, in spite of the subject matter, it is strangely uplifting in places.

Hans Fallada actually died shortly after the war either of drink or of insanty (can't remember) and I think he only wrote a few books. I have yet to read his other ones but Alone in Berlin certainly stands out as his best.

Hi Adrienne

Just to be clear, I think this is the US title of the book. Over in UK it is known as Alone in Berlin and , I agree, it is a terrific book and as you say, in spite of the subject matter, it is strangely uplifting in places.

Hans Fallada actually died shortly after the war either of drink or of insanty (can't remember) and I think he only wrote a few books. I have yet to read his other ones but Alone in Berlin certainly stands out as his best.

I can recommend Kleiner Mann, Was nun? (Little Man, What Now?) which was a best-seller in English in the 1930's.

All of his works are well worth your time: his life was a mess after age 16, but his writings apparently gave him some order from the chaos.

Fallada's style in German is highly intricate at times, conveying an ironic self-critical attitude. When I taught German, I used to read Damals Bei Uns Daheim (not yet published in English: "Long Ago With Us At Home") with my classes in German III and IV: it was one of the funniest books ever!

Yes, a funny book, written by a German! :lol:

• 9 months later...

Hi Adrienne

Every so often we pick up a book that is truly unputdownable, a book that is so well written, a book that has so much feeling and emotion it lives in the memory for a very long time...Alone in Berlin certainly did that for me. I was attracted firstly to the cover of this book in various books shops around Bristol and Bath and being a penguin publication the print, pages and binding were superior. I then noticed that it was originally published in 1947 and had just been republished here in the UK, the subject matter intrigued me as did the author Hans Fallada. When we consider stories set during WW2 very few are written from the German point of view and naturally we are inclined to believe that most Germans/Berliners were happy to support Hitler as he appeared to have put their country on a sound economic footing following the very lean years after the 1st WW. Alone in Berlin looks at one mans extroadinary and single handed stand against the forces of Nazism. Berlin at this time was a city of treachery, intrigue, deceipt and suspicion, citizens were encouraged to report on any unnatural activities that might undermine the word of the furher. Into all of this steps Otto, an ordinary German living in an apartment block in Berlin, when he receives a message that his only son has been killed fighting at the front. He's shocked and saddened, and decides to carry out an extroadinary act of resistance. He begins to drop anonymous postcards attacking Hitler across the city knowing that if he is caught or betrayed not only will he be tortured and killed but so will members of his immediate family. There evolves a silent war between Otto and and an ambitious Gestapo Inspector called Escherich. The prose the use of dialogue the sense of atmosphere and the enevitable sad conclusion all come together to make this a fantastic and emotional read, a read that never loses pace or sense of direction, and a read that I would certainly recommend as one of the memorable and intelligent novels of 2010.

the subject matter intrigued me as did the author Hans Fallada. When we consider stories set during WW2 very few are written from the German point of view and naturally we are inclined to believe that most Germans/Berliners were happy to support Hitler as he appeared to have put their country on a sound economic footing following the very lean years after the 1st WW.

Yes The Book Thief made me realise that there was another story to tell from the German perspective - I think that was what opened me to reading Alone in Berlin. I agree with your comments and consider it the best book I've read this year.

Recently I read two stories by Hans Keilson, Comedy in a Minor Key and Death of the Adversary. Both are stories of WWII in Germany, told from the German perspective. I wrote short "reviews" over in my blog thread... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5939-pontalbas-2010-reading-list/page__st__20 post # 36.

I have Every Man Dies Alone in my TBR stack, and now, more than ever, look forward to reading it. Great review runner. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading 'Alone in Berlin' ~

'Alone in Berlin' (also known as 'Every Man dies alone') is based on the true story of Otto and Elise Hampel who for almost two years secretly defied the Germany government by leaving postcards in various places in Berlin telling people to open their eyes to what was happening within their country, this led to their subsequent executions in March 1943.

'Alone in Berlin' begins with Otto & Anna Quangel receiving news that their only son, Otto has died in France following Germany's invasion. Anna grief stricken blames Otto and 'his Fuhrer' for Otto Jr's death, these words cause a change in Otto which leads to him and Anna to begin a secret campaign of postcards and letters detailing everything which is wrong within Germany, any presence of rebellion in Nazi Germany is tantamount to high treason and if captured, leads to execution. One step ahead of the Gestapo the couple leave as many postcards as possible, in the hope that it can make change.

What struck me the most about 'Alone in Berlin' initially was how detached it was at first, I found myself not particularly caring about the characters, I felt sadness and anger at what was occurring in Germany during World War 2 and it was interesting and an definite eye opener to read about life in Germany at that time but as I said I did not feel for the characters, however this did change as the story progressed, my initial reaction to Otto was one of annoyance, I found him unfeeling and cold, and Anna, a woman who has been downtrodden all of her life but I finally saw them for the people they were, strong minded, brave, loving and heroic in their pursuit of showing how wrong everything was in Nazi Germany, there are sad moments, there is moments of happiness which at times are bitter-sweet for all of the characters because in some way all of the characters are connected to the Quangels.

'Alone in Berlin' is a story of courage and the many ways that courage can be shown.

An interesting and important story to read again and again.

I just finished reading 'Alone in Berlin' ~

An interesting and important story to read again and again.

Absolutely agree Weave. A book to keep hold of and read every so often (I do the same with Address Unknown - a 64 page book about an exchange of letters that perfectly sums up the propaganda machine of Nazi Germany).

Absolutely agree Weave. A book to keep hold of and read every so often (I do the same with Address Unknown - a 64 page book about an exchange of letters that perfectly sums up the propaganda machine of Nazi Germany).

Thanks hen :)

• 5 months later...