Book Club Forum Secret Book Santa?

Ceinwenn

I'll be gettting out to choose mine soon....sorry for the delay. Was going to go yesterday or today but have felt rubbish with this yucky cold.

Tuesday ~ bought my book today will get it posted tomorrow.

Edited by Inver

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure you did Chimera, I choose with the tried and tested method of eenie meenie minie moe (I imagine its slightly scientific) :lol:

I used the ip dip do method :)

I've sent mine off through Amazon :)

Gotta love amazon that's how I sent mine :)

Santa came, Santa came. Thank you, Thank you. I will admit I opened my pressie as I cannot resist surprises. I must have been good this year because Santa brought me Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie. I can't wait to start it. I looove what I call cultural novels. Novels set in different cultures and countries, giving you insight and inspiring interest. Thank you, thank you Santa

Here is a little blurb from Amazon:

By turns luminous and horrific, this debut ensnares the reader from the first page and lingers in the memory long after its tragic end. First-person narrator Kambili Achike is a 15-year-old Nigerian girl growing up in sheltered privilege in a country ravaged by political strife and personal struggle. She and her brother, Jaja, and their quiet mother, who speaks "the way a bird eats, in small amounts," live this life of luxury because Kambili's father is a wealthy man who owns factories, publishes a politically outspoken newspaper and outwardly leads the moral, humble life of a faithful Catholic. The many grateful citizens who have received his blessings and material assistance call him omelora, "The One Who Does for the Community." Yet Kambili, Jaja and their mother see a side to their provider no one else does: he is also a religious fanatic who regularly and viciously beats his family for the mildest infractions of his interpretation of an exemplary Christian life. The children know better than to discuss their home life with anyone else; "there was so much that we never told." But when they are unexpectedly allowed to visit their liberated and loving Aunty Ifeoma, a widowed university professor raising three children, family secrets and tensions bubble dangerously to the surface, setting in motion a chain of events that allow Kambili to slowly blossom as she begins to question the authority of the precepts and adults she once held sacred. In a soft, searing voice, Adichie examines the complexities of family, faith and country through the haunted but hopeful eyes of a young girl on the cusp of womanhood. Lush, cadenced and often disconcerting, this is an accomplished first effort.

I forgot to mention that there was also another package which had a personalised bookmark in. I have to assume it was part of the secret santa pressie as I know I haven't ordered it so thank you again santa :irked:

Two parcels arrived via Book Depository...now I know I haven't ordered anything from them.....to open or not to open:exc:that is the question....thanks whoever it is :irked:

Oooooh my secret santa gift came today :D It's under my tree as we speak and there it shall stay until Christmas morning! Thanks Santa xxx I also received chocolate coins which I love love love! Can't promise that they'll stay there until Christmas morning mind you......I'll try my best though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...