Book Club Forum Secret Book Santa?

Ceinwenn

Count me in, it sounds ace! I like the idea of wishlists, then I can get something the person I get something they want :D x

I know this is a daft and cheeky question, and if it has been covered, apologies everyone :D, will there will be a limit on how much to spend on a book? (I am really not cheap, just checking) x

Edited by Weave

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note that when the mod team started discussing this, we did come up with a few issues which would need considering. Remember there are a range of people, in a range of countries, situations etc.. the details need to be carefully thought out, and someone needs to take the responsibility of organising.

I would also have to say that if this is organised by members, then I can't be held responsible for books which don't turn up, members who disappear etc. :D

Well, I did say that one of the mods could take it over from the very first post. I don't really care who organises it all, I just thought that it sounded like a lot of fun. I get the distinct impression that I have somehow managed to steal someone's thunder & wee a few people off, so please, someone else take it over, I want no part of it any more.

I think if we agree on the ground rules and everyone is aware of such things as the fact they won't choose who gets their adress, whe'll be fine. It worked very well last time.

Regarding the adress thing, and members disapearing... Shouldn't we put a minimum n

For World Book Day we opened it to anyone with more than 25 posts. I can send you the rules we used for that if you like if you hink it'll help formulate ones for this. :D

Well, I did say that one of the mods could take it over from the very first post. I don't really care who organises it all, I just thought that it sounded like a lot of fun. I get the distinct impression that I have somehow managed to steal someone's thunder & wee a few people off, so please, someone else take it over, I want no part of it any more.

I was the one planning it, and I told you to take it over as you'd be doing me a favour. Not Janet, not Michelle, and there's no thunder involved. I should have informed the other Mods I simply don't have time to do this and Janet would not have posted (and subsequently been ignored) on my behalf, so I've apologised to her and the other Mods, and I apologise also for any confusion or ill feelings perceived as a result of my inattention. However, Janet and Michelle were just trying to be fair to me and to draw attention to the technical side of arranging such a big event. No hard feelings were actually intended from anyone on our side, and more were in actuality created by the above unnecessary post by you.

Let this be the end of it, and if anyone wants to take on running this, feel free.

:D Otherwise SaraPepparkaka and I have to play Secret Santa amongst the two of us and that's not very secretive you know! :D

Edit: One other thing I was wondering about this book exchange: Hardbacks vs. paperbacks? Paperbacks are easier and cheaper to send but I think some of here usually want only hardbacks?

Edited by frankie

One other thing I was wondering about this book exchange: Hardbacks vs. paperbacks? Paperbacks are easier and cheaper to send but I think some of here usually want only hardbacks?

I can only afford to send in the UK and send a paperback...so that has my vote!

One other thing I was wondering about this book exchange: Hardbacks vs. paperbacks? Paperbacks are easier and cheaper to send but I think some of here usually want only hardbacks?
I'm not the relevant authority so don't quote me on this, but it seems to me that if someone desperately wants book x in hardback there's no reason they shouldn't get it, provided the book's price complies with the set maximum spend and is available to buy from a worldwide free-postage website such as the Book Depository.

The free postage bit may not work though, as some sites will only deliver to the cardholders (if paying by credit card) address. Has anyone used any of the books sites to send to a different address?

Play.com allows sending to another address, my BF is ordering me books from there to my own address all the time :D It's also free shipping! (But unfortunately I think they don't deliver to Ireland free of charge, or at all, I don't remember how it was. Roxi had problems with that, that's how I remember it). So it would only cost the price of the book. Except if one wants to do gift wrapping?

I wonder, as Kate has already said she can only afford UK and I'm sure there will be others, would it be possible to do to subsections; those who can only send in UK/US and those who'll send worldwide?

Edited by frankie

I use Amazon, Book Depository & Play to send to different addresses - works fine and I've not had any problems yet :D One thing I will say is to be careful of postage if you're posting it yourself - I sent an average size paperback to the US through BookMooch a week ago and it cost me over

Regarding hardback or paperback. I think (as someone else has said above), that there should be a maximum cost for any book that you put in your wishlist. Provided it is within the maxium, it shouldn't matter if it is hardback/paperback. Although, posting hardbacks yourself to another country may be a bit costly.

Edited by Kimmy619

I would be happy to play too, providing I remember to check on the post to see if going ahead! Would be happy to send anywhere, but only paperback. Have to think of wishlist items:roll:

ok, it sounds like there's a lot of interest in this but nobody to run it. So far there is interest from:

Chimera

Ceinwenn

Kate

Fi

Stephanie2008

Kimmy619

BookJumper

NovaLee

Vanwa

Charm

Gyre

SaraPepparkaka

Kate

madcow

atticjnr

Heather

Inver

Lucybird

I think it'd be a shame to just give up on it so I'd be happy to jump in, but it'd be nice if someone else could join me in organising it, so we can put our heads together and make sure we work out all the kinks. Because I agree with Michelle that it could get pretty complicated.

Anyone interested?