Question Time.

Ben

Anyone watch the show last night? Was controversial due to them allowing the BNP's Nick Griffin on the programme. I for one found it interesting to watch him squirm and wiggle his way around questions, being evasive in his answers. I especially liked the part where he couldn't explain why he had changed his views on the Holocaust and the part where he admitted to meeting a former KKK leader, but it was a non-violent KKK, so that made it alright. Bit shocking to say the least from a Cambridge Law graduate. Though I have to say I did enjoy watching Jack Straw try squirm his way out of the immigration question; his defence of Labour's immigration failings was quite unconvincing.

What were your thoughts?

Edited by Ben

I did not watch it Ben, (great post by the way) it was a big step on the BBC's part having Nick Griffin on the show, and despite his questionable views, they are his views and that is what Question time is all about, and let's face Nick Griffin wants to share his views.

I heard that the BNP are having a demo (I think) through Glasgow City Centre in November, so guess who will be avoiding the city centre.

Thank you. I think it was something to do with the BNP gaining seats in parliament earlier this year; it meant that the BBC had them a place on the show, because they have rules about the show having to contain a representative from every party with seats. Or it's something a long those lines anyway..

And it will be you and many avoiding the town centre on that day.

Thank you. I think it was something to do with the BNP gaining seats in parliament earlier this year; it meant that the BBC had them a place on the show, because they have rules about the show having to contain a representative from every party with seats. Or it's something a long those lines anyway..

And it will be you and many avoiding the town centre on that day.

I did not know that, thanks for the explanation Ben, I was not impressed to hear that he was on the show, as I said in my vague way :P he has some manner of place. I have no time for the BNP, whatever happened to live and let live.

You are right Ben, a fair few will be avoiding Glasgow, I was in Glasgow a few years ago and the BNP had set up a stall, giving out leaflets, I had not noticed the stall at this point, I took the leaflet, looked at it, walked back and returned it.

I did not know that, thanks for the explanation Ben, I was not impressed to hear that he was on the show, as I said in my vague way :D he has some manner of place. I have no time for the BNP, whatever happened to live and let live.

You are right Ben, a fair few will be avoiding Glasgow, I was in Glasgow a few years ago and the BNP had set up a stall, giving out leaflets, I had not noticed the stall at this point, I took the leaflet, looked at it, walked back and returned it.

I can imagine that's something that I would've done - if I hadn't noticed what leaflet I was being handed - that, or dropped it in the nearest bin.

I taped it, as it's on way past my weekday bedtime (:P), so I will watch it over the weekend aith a seething OH!

Let me know what you think..

I was surprised that Griffin wasn't the orator that I expected him to be. You'd imagine after several decades of spouting his vile philosophy at Rallies and meetings, he be a bit more versed in the spoken word? Even ol' Gerry Adams could trash on with clarity and structure his distasteful views. He however didn't really have to say too much as he was shouted down so often, he might as well just mumbled 'wibble' at each answer. It just made him look like the complete victim he was hoping to be.

I wonder if Jack reminded Peter Hain about free speech, re the Daily Hate/Stephen Gately article? Or even the Communists/Marxist/Left-wing extremists posing as UAF either? Is free speech only OK if you're left of centre?

I watched this last night with great interest.

The reason the BNP was given the seat on the panel of such a show of this caliber was because, in the last European election, the party recieved over one million votes, culminating in the election of two MP's to the european parliament, one of whom was Nick Griffin.

I agree with you entirely Ben! Rather than this being an 'early christmas present', as stated by the media, for the BNP, Nick Griffins' contribution only highlighted for the audience the underlying ethos/ message this party adheres to- that of racism, bigotry and anti-semitism.

I hope the public watching, who voted for this party,(Many, I suspect through disaffection with the main parties,), are able to finally see that the BNP uses such emotive issues as immigration, religion to draw on peoples fears in the most negative way, for their own ultimate means!

I also agree with you Ghost, that the barrage Griffin recieved from the other members of the panel and the audience could have made him into a 'victim' figure for some of the watching public, and that is worrying, but, I feel, a chance worth taking to bring into the light the BNP, on such an open forum, in front of the true public, instead of letting them gain more support, with no open questioning, 'poisoning from the shadows'.

NN.

Edited by northernnutter
typo!

I hope the public watching, who voted for this party,(Many, I suspect through disaffection with the main parties,), are able to finally see that the BNP uses such emotive issues as immigration, religion to draw on peoples fears in the most negative way, for their own ultimate means!

NN. I agree with you on this, a lot of people don't seem to understand it though.

Completely agree with everything you have both said. I do hope that those that are voting for the BNP are doing it just out of dissatisfaction with the other parties and realise what a crafty, compulsive liar Nick Griffin is.

Well said northernnutter, I read on yahoo news that Nick Griffin was very nervous, etc but I felt that very maniplative behaviour, maybe people will feel sorry for him? I don't, I think the man is a fool to himself, who has questionable values and a very dim view of the world around him.

I just want to specify that I am extremely anti-BNP. I watched it (I always do :P) and I felt like he had a fantastic opportunity to put across his views and policies regarding issues in society, such as immigration, education, health etc however the one focus was on imigration. I think it should have been more like the regular Question Time, where issues/questions are put forward and the panel can answer specific to their party/job. However, the whole show turned into a debate on immigration and nothing much else. Now I think it was good that Nick Griffin was forced to explain some key things about himself - such as the holocaust comments, but he didn't do it well, and made me dislike him and the whole party even more. If they had been smart about this opportunity, he should have been more prepared to answer questions regarding policies etc. Overall I think he came across really smarmy and slimy and the only good thing I can see out of it is that he's getting a lot of negative press :D

Didn't watch this, but saw the response today from himself about the 'lynch mob'. Also saw the text comments from several people agreeing completely with him. Based on what he said, while I don't discriminate racially with reference to colour of skin (and believe asians, black people or whoever can all be British, Irish, American, or whatever) I can completely relate to the feeling of not being at home in your own country, it's prevalent here.

I know nothing about the BNP or Griffin at ALL, beyond what I saw on the news this morning, but like I say, don't entire agree, don't entirely disagree. I see nothing fascist in wanting to maintain cultural identity and not be overwhelmed by other nationalities to the extent of feeling like an outsider in your own country. (This was the issue that was spoken on this morning, I can't comment on anything else said last night.)

I watched it and I think the BEEB were right to have him on the show as we are democratic country that forges free speech. However, rather than making it a PR platform for Nick Griffin and his odious party - he rather shot himself in the foot with his answers (did he really have any?) and Jack Straw was just as bad with his dithering. I'm also sad that practically the whole programme was dedicated to his party - what about other newsworthy items like the Postal Strike.

Actually just listened to it again cos I was still a tad drunk the first time

Although David Dimbleby assured the audience that QT wouldn't turn into 'The Nick Griffin Show,' it did.

The programme completely failed to address wide issues and instead focussed almost exclusively on race and immigration. I personally think that all the BBC did, was to turn Griffin into a victim, as he was so strongly attacked by panellists and what appeared to be a completely hostile audience, via a format which seemed to have been deliberately engineered to humiliate him.

I think Griffin scored points on immigration, Islamic homophobia and it's treatment of women. Dimbleby rescued Warsi from having to commit herself on the latter two, but on Immigration though, Warsi came out well. Straw was useless and made to look stupid, after waffling on about Asian and Black soldiers being killed fighting fascism and then later was shot down in flames, by Griffin pointing out that Straws father had served time for refusing to fight for his Country. Chris Huhne and Bonnie Greer may as well have stayed at home. The BBC and Dimbleby have nothing to be proud about.

And I note from the radio that Griffin has made a complaint, yet more publicity for the muppet.

I rather enjoyed when he tried to hide behind the fact that he could be prosecuted for answering one of the questons and then Jack Straw said to him 'i'm the justice secretary, answer it and i will make sure there are no repercussions.' He then said that he didn't have any power in Europe and Straw told him 'I'll sort that for you too.'

Actually just listened to it again cos I was still a tad drunk the first time

Although David Dimbleby assured the audience that QT wouldn't turn into 'The Nick Griffin Show,' it did.

The programme completely failed to address wide issues and instead focussed almost exclusively on race and immigration. I personally think that all the BBC did, was to turn Griffin into a victim, as he was so strongly attacked by panellists and what appeared to be a completely hostile audience, via a format which seemed to have been deliberately engineered to humiliate him.

I think Griffin scored points on immigration, Islamic homophobia and it's treatment of women. Dimbleby rescued Warsi from having to commit herself on the latter two, but on Immigration though, Warsi came out well. Straw was useless and made to look stupid, after waffling on about Asian and Black soldiers being killed fighting fascism and then later was shot down in flames, by Griffin pointing out that Straws father had served time for refusing to fight for his Country. Chris Huhne and Bonnie Greer may as well have stayed at home. The BBC and Dimbleby have nothing to be proud about.

And I note from the radio that Griffin has made a complaint, yet more publicity for the muppet.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here, Ghost, but I still feel the program was a necessary one.

Yes, the format and discussion topics were centered around race and immigration, but what else would come to the fore when discussing BNP policy??

I 'don't' agree that Griffin scored points on immigration. What he did, and this is where the BNP are very dangerous, is 'highlight' the issue, but gave no viable policy outline to tackle the issue. (Not a legal one anyway!)

Warsi tackled this well, calling all the parties at fault for allowing the BNP to hijack this issue, by having a shocking record on this issue in the eyes of the public.

As for homophobia, I thought Griffin highlighted his 'own' homophobic beliefs quite well!!

On to the rights of women, and Muslim Shari'a law. Always a good one when you want to highlight the 'monstrous' muslim faith. I agree totally that this strict Islamic law is inhumane and offensive, and many Muslims agree with this! But I don't need Griffin to tell me this! Imagine- What would the rights of asian, black or ethnic women be in a country governed by the BNP???? Oh , I forgot! They would't need rights because they would no longer be welcome to live here!!

I totally agree with you that Jack Straw came across terribly!! He had his 'script' and he was going to stick to it!! And his points concerning immigration policy, ie, none, played into Griffins' scaremongering hands.

There will no doubt be lots of press coverage about this- demonising Griffin and the BNP - agreeing with them- bringing certain policies to the fore-, all need to be debated and out in the open.

NN.

I personally don't think this program achieved much at all.

The co-opting of the regular Question Time format into a debate on the BNP didn't really serve anyone's interests; and I think the BBC was at fault for not sticking to its usual format.

On one hand they were saying we have to be fair and have him on the show because he is now an MEP, but on the other hand they well and truly stacked the cards against him from the outset, and Dimbleby's "I don't want this just to be a debate on the BNP" remark before moving onto Jan Moir's repellent article - with just ten minutes to go out of an hour-long program - was just a joke!

I don't have any sympathy for Griffin, he got just what he deserved, but whilst I think the BBC were right to have him on the program, I think they botched it, and that's now given him the chance to play the victim.

It was nice to see Jack Straw make a tit of himself, though.