Favourite Book Series

Hello airshiplover11235! Welcome to the forum. :P

I thought this thread might be more enduring if we open it up to all book series, rather than just the classics, so I have moved it!

I really enjoyed 'Lord Of The Rings' too. I really enjoy reading a series in any genre, so long as the writing is good.

His Dark Materials has got to be my favourite trilogy of all time. Superbly written, controversial, yet still fantastic. I'd recommend it to everyone. :P

His Dark Materials.

1. Northern Lights (1995)

aka The Golden Compass

2. The Subtle Knife (1997)

3. The Amber Spyglass (1999)

*peers at her own username*

....yup I am waving the Harry Potter flag. I loved LOTR too :P

welcome to the forum :D

Haha, I think the vast majority wouldn't condemn you for saying HP.. obviously the series that I grew up reading and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as well. Always seems to be something I neglect too mention, however, as it feels too obvious, if you get me.

Edited by Ben

Haha, I think the vast majority wouldn't condemn you for saying HP.. obviously the series that I grew up reading and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as well. Always seems to be something I neglect too mention, however, as it feels too obvious, if you get me.

Yes, I know what you mean. There are so many good series out there. I just got sooo wrapped up in Harry Potter and I love the world that JK has created :D aaah I'm gushing now.

I love reading series though. It is fun rushing to the library desperately trying to get the next one :P

I'm a big fan of Lord Of The Rings, but even that's been eclipsed by William Horwood's Duncton books. Like Watership Down, but with moles. And more religion. And more blood.

I'm going to say The Sookie Stackhouse series is my favourite, but I also love Twilight (:P) and Harry Potter. To tell the truth, I haven't read many series but I'm hoping to read quite a few which have already been mentioned.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear you say Twilight is one of your favourite series'.

I'm a big fan of Lord Of The Rings, but even that's been eclipsed by William Horwood's Duncton books. Like Watership Down, but with moles. And more religion. And more blood.

I read one of these (can't remember which) and I have to say I just didn't get it! I found it very odd that the main characters were moles, and I couldn't really get past that. :P

I love series because you can really get into them (and if you like the first book you have all the rest to look forward to!). Some of my favourites are:

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman - The Amber Spyglass is possibly the greatest, most magical, most thought provoking book I have ever read

Harry Potter - Fantastic!

The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell - The first series I read and some of my favourite books of all time

The Farseer Triology by Robin Hobb - Beautiful!

The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - Need I say anything?

The Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix - Really wonderful books

Edited by Book Fiend
I can't type!

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman - The Amber Spyglass is possibly the greatest, most magical, most thought provoking book I have ever

I'm with the book fiend on this one. :P Absolutely love this series.

I love series of books - although I'm one of those obsessives that once I find a series I like, I have to read the whole lot as quickly as possible to the exclusion of most other books :P

But without doubt, my favourite series of books ever (and I've read quite a few in my time), has been the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Once I'd read the first one, it wasn't long before I'd devoured the whole series. Brilliant. Clever. Funny.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear you say Twilight is one of your favourite series'.

Twilight, Harry Potter, Women Of The Otherworld, House Of Night, Sookie Stackhouse, Harper Connelly, Rizzoli/Isles.

See I'm not alone on the Twilight front :D:P

I forgot about the House of Night series, I love that too :lol:

I love series of books - although I'm one of those obsessives that once I find a series I like, I have to read the whole lot as quickly as possible to the exclusion of most other books :P

I'm so with you there chesilbeach. The bane of my life is waiting for further books in a series to be written, or not being able to find sequels.

Some of my favorite ones have been :

A Horseman Riding By by R.F.Delderfield

The Poldarks by Winston Graham

The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

Gerald Durrell's books about his childhood in Corfu (My Family and Other Animals etc)

Sookie Stackhouse,

Harry Potter (of course!),

Lynsay Sands' Argeneau/Hunter series. Love it! Has anyone else read any of these books?

Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfield. Not very advanced reading, but I like his ideas!

His Dark Materials

The Saga of Darren Shan

When I was younger, I used to love the Alex Rider books. And I still read bits from time to time :P

Yay another Marsden lover we seem to be few and far between - people just don't know what they're missing by not reading the Tomorrow series:friends0:

That makes three of us Tomorrow fans on the forum now. Yay! Maybe we can work together to convince more people to read the books. Did you hear they're making a movie of the first book? They've already cast the roles of Ellie and Kevin, that I know of. I always liked to imagine myself as a bit of an Ellie when I was reading the books. And I always imagined being the director of the movie. I had the opening all worked out in my head. :P

Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfield. Not very advanced reading, but I like his ideas!

I like his ideas too, Bemii :D I've also read the companion guide to the series called Bogus to Bubbly, where I learnt that a lot of his ideas are actually in existence already! Or he's just built a bit further on them. It makes for interesting reading.

Edited by Kylie