Northernnutters reading list 2009.

northernnutter

lol.. I think that's part of it! I have no kids, nor a clock ticking away! Lots of good moms on this forum, so understandably, could be a bit jarring for them... You are right. :friends0:

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself! That could explain it then!!

Nice to talk to someone from the US of A, by the way!! I lived over there for three years, and loved every minute of it! (Nannying- of course!).

Have never met a friendlier lot. I don't think I bought a single drink for myself in the whole three years!!! :lol:

That's hospitality!!! :D

NN.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived in a small town called Carmel, Indiana for about 2 yrs, then spent the last year in Baltimore, Maryland. Loved living in both places, although very different in character!!

I see you live in New York! Was able to visit whilst over there and loved it!! The taxi cab drivers are craaazy!!

Now live in Northampton in England, but am a 'Yorkshire lass', born and bred!

NN.

I haven't been to Carmel, but have good to Baltimore.. I visited a friend that lived in Annapolis, and we went into Baltimore for a few days. :friends0: I love that part of Maryland that's on the water and has all the harbours.. It's just gorgeous! You got to live in a great place. :D

I'm from Alabama, but have also lived in St. Louis for 6 months, and Manhattan for 1 month and now we're back here for good in NYC again. I haven't lived in too many places in the US yet.. We'll see what happens later in life. :lol:

Do you think you're mostly settled in England for a while now?

Looks like my major touring days are over I'm afraid!! But I still feel lucky that I was able to see so much. Left home at 18, and never looked back! Lived abroad until I was 25! Now I'm married and settled back in the UK, and the OH is not too keen on flying, so our options are limited. I'm hoping to get him on a plane to the States soon though, as his sister lives in Houston, Texas, and she's forever inviting us!!

We love France though, and we have discussed living there in the future, so you never know!!

Sounds like you've moved around a bit yourself! The states is such a huge place, so many possibilities! Make the most of them, I say!!:friends0:

NN.

Wow! You did it big between 18 and 25.. Good for you! :friends0:

Aww.. too bad about your husband not being too keen on flying, but that's okay.. at least you live in the UK where close-by traveling, even by car, can be a great experience. :D

And, no, the OH hasn't read it yet. He's ploughing through 'To play the fox', a WW2 fighter pilot story. Considering he's probably read maybe 2 books in the 12 years we've been together, I don't want to rush the poor soul. He'll get there eventually!

ps. Lovely avatar!!

My DH didn't used to read much but in the last 12/18 months he's suddenly discovered a reading mojo!

And thanks. I've a real interest in WW1 now since doing A level English Lit as a mature student recently. :friends0:

ETA: I enjoyed Kevin - although as a Mum myself, I agree that it was difficult reading it.

My DH didn't used to read much but in the last 12/18 months he's suddenly discovered a reading mojo!

And thanks. I've a real interest in WW1 now since doing A level English Lit as a mature student recently. :friends0:

ETA: I enjoyed Kevin - although as a Mum myself, I agree that it was difficult reading it.

My OH didn't have much choice this summer! We bought a caravan, and what with the 'English weather', there wasn't much option other than to get a book out! He's dyslexic, so readings' never been a joy for him, but I'm turning the tide, slowly but surely.

And speaking of your interest in WW1, we visited France this summer, the Somme region, and were awed by the history to be found there. In the most unlikely, smallest of villages, with nothing more of note than a good 'boulangerie',- you come across a war cemetery- beautifully kept, peaceful and very emotive! Just makes you stop and take stock.....

NN.

I was supposed to be going to Ypres in February, but unfortunately the trip didn't get enough interest and was cancelled.

I intend to go one day. I don't mind which region, although The Somme would be good as one of my great-uncles was killed there in WW1.

My husband isn't interested*. My Mum would come with me, but she couldn't possibly leave my Dad for any length of time so I'll possibly end up going on an organised trip on my own some day.

*That makes him sound uncaring which he isn't - it's just not his thing. :)

Edited by Janet

Ypres is beautiful and well worth a visit. The Menin Gate just blows me away everytime I see it. OH and I love Belguim, and visit Bruges or Ypres every few months.

It is startling and moving to see these beautifully tended 'plots' be they major monuments (or which there are so many) or a tiny 10 grave site. It makes me so grateful for the continued care and regard given to the fallen. You cannot fail to be moved.

Ypres is beautiful and well worth a visit. The Menin Gate just blows me away everytime I see it. OH and I love Belguim, and visit Bruges or Ypres every few months.

It is startling and moving to see these beautifully tended 'plots' be they major monuments (or which there are so many) or a tiny 10 grave site. It makes me so grateful for the continued care and regard given to the fallen. You cannot fail to be moved.

My sentiments exactly, Chrissy.

I often wonder, when I see them, that if they were on British soil, would they recieve the same care and respect? I would hope that they would, but I often wonder....

NN.

Just finished 'Grave site' by Charlaine Harris. My first delve into this authors' work, and I really enjoyed it!

I thought the characters were well written, particularly that of Harper. A young woman with a disturbing ability which she manages with great understanding, yet also a character with underlying vulnerabilities. The relationship between her and her step-brother, Tolliver, also worked well for me. I also enjoyed the 'limitations' Harris has set on Harper's ability- not a 'medium', able to commune with the dead, but merely able to find them, and to be able to glimpse their last moments of life. This ensures the main characters' have no more clue about the circumstances surrounding the death as the reader, so that the characters and reader embark on a story of discovery together.

The plot, I found a little predictable- had figured it out half way through the book,- but this didn't distract from the enjoyment of reading to the end, and I look forward to reading the next installment, 'Grave surprise'.

NN.

OMG I have no idea how you figured out what was going on in Grave Sight. I really like her Harper books, but my only complaint is that I feel like she uses too many convoluted and confusing family relationships (like.. 'half' step siblings and twice removed cousins?) to make it difficult to figure out the mystery. I much prefer to be confused by good plotting rather than just buried in a mound of confusing family relations.

Now, I promise.. I really DO like the books.. I've read 2 of the 3 and hope to get the 3rd. But I did say that this post was my only COMPLAINT, so don't think I didn't like them. :)

Finished Charlaine Harris's second installment containing Harper connelly, "Grave surprise", and once again found it to be a good read, although I was a little dissapointed to see Harris include a ghostly interlude. It didn't sit well with where I thought Harris was going with the main characters in this series, but I suppose it allowed for the introduction of the intriguing pair 'Xylda and her grandson Manfred.'

Was also interesting to see Harpers' realisation of her feelings for Tolliver shifting. From 'step-sisterly' to something far more personal.....will have to see how that pans' out in the next book, which I'm onto already!!

NN.

Finished "an ice cold grave"- the third installment of Charlaine Harrris's Harper Connelly series, and I found this the best of the three so far. A more suspenseful plot and, (you will be glad to hear, Bethany!), not a plot centred on' intricate' family ties!! This novel concentrates more on the impact of murder in a small town, and the effects on it's residents and the families left behind. We also see the

realisation by Harper and Tolliver, of their true feelings for each other, and their relationship develop into a more intimate, sexual relationship.

Unfortunately, this was the only part of the novel that left me a little disappointed! I can understand the need for Harris to ensure the reader fully grasps this major step, and what it means for the two main characters,

but the language and dialogue she uses to describe this budding relationship left me feeling a little cold! Now, I'm no prude, but I found it bizarre that 'Harper' for example, changes from a character full of conscience and self-doubt, to a sexual rampant rabbit!!? Yes, I get this is a new relationship, but I would have expected more emphasis on the new-found closeness and intimacy of the pair, rather than their sexual appetites!

But, maybe that's just me being picky!!

I also found

the sacrificial death by Chuck Almand, the murderers' son

a fantastic plot twist. Wasn't expecting that at all!!

All in all, a great read, (with one minor exception), and I look forward to the next installment!!

NN.

Edited by northernnutter

Ok..I've commenced the challenge of reading Ashok Banker's "Ramayama".

Just a little background info, before I get to my thoughts so far..

The "ramayama" is one of the great Indian epics. Over 3000 years old, known throughout Indian/East asian culture, and many other parts of the world, in varying forms.

It follows the story of the struggle between the forces of good and evil, love, honour, destiny and heroism.

Truthfully.., before spotting this at the library, I had never heard of the Ramayama, but having seen the word 'epic' in its description, I was intrigued enough to borrow the whole series!

Having finished the first book, "Prince of Ayodhya", I must say, I am looking forward to reading the rest!

If, like me, you are concerned that some prior knowledge of Indian/Hindu culture is needed to enjoy this series, don't be!! It's not! Baker is writing for the masses here, with a 'full on' storytelling style to suit all readers, whether or not you have any prior knowledge of the story unfolding. And It's a gripping story!!- Princes, Kings, evil Queens, Gods, Demons, magic and the struggle between good and evil!! What more could you want?

This first book follows Prince Rama, and his brother, together with the aid of the legendary seer Vishwamitra, as they come to terms with the impendind invasion of the demon god Ravana, and their first battle with his demonish minions.

Banker's writing style is modern, and he sets the scene well. With particular detail to sounds and smells- giving a true sense of place and atmosphere.

All the main characters are well defined, with particular traits, which is just as well, as there are a lot of them to keep track of!

The negatives..?

Whilst reading, I felt the plot moved at quite a slow pace. Indeed, the book covers just one day, and even then, the main 'action' only takes place in the final 50 pages.(Although, it's pretty good action!!) Not what you'd call an, 'edge of your seat' ride then!!

However, having now finished the book, I've come to regard it more as an 'introduction', and can forgive it's slowness.

It introduces well this ancient land, it's people and beliefs, and gives us a much needed full introduction to the main characters of this continuing epic.

I'm hoping that the last 50 pages are a taster of what lies ahead for Prince Rama!!

I will keep you posted.!:D

And the epic of Prince Rama continues.....

In book 2, Rama must decide whether to follow his heart, and return to his home to defend his family and people from the oncoming demonic invasion, or, follow his destiny and duty by continuing his journey with the Guru Vishwamitra. He chooses the latter, and on this journey he encounters many trials and adventures....fighting devilish creatures, releasing a legend from a millenia long curse, meeting the beautiful and brave Princess Sita, challenging the demon-god Ravana himself, and ultimately, using the greatest weapon of the gods, but with consequences......!

I found this second book more enjoyable than the first. The plot moves with a quicker pace, and we are treated to age old legends, - 'stories within the story' which are interesting in their own right.

Banker's writing style remains fluid and wonderfully descriptive, and he portrays the themes of this epic,- honour, heroism, belief and sacrifice in a way readers can recognise and associate with, without sounding 'preachy'.

Roll on Book 3.!!!

Finished "an ice cold grave"- the third installment of Charlaine Harrris's Harper Connelly series, and I found this the best of the three so far.

Glad to see you enjoyed this one! It's the only one of the 3 part series that I haven't read, so happy to see it was your favorite :welcome2:

Hope you're well!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished book three, "The demons of Chitrakut".

In this installment of the Ramayana, Rama finds himself, his new wife Sita and his faithful brother exiled from their home, into the forests of exiles and outcasts, for a period of 14 years.

Meanwhile, Ravana, the demon god, is found alive after the last battle with Rama, but in a coma, his powers depleted. As a consequence, Lanka, the homeland of the demons, is thrown into turmoil, and self-destructs under the warring demon factions, wiping each other out to near extinction.

Rama lives in relative peace in exile, until the demoness Supanakha shows herself and professes her love for rama, which he turns down.

Enraged, Supanakha gathers what remains of the demon invading army still alive, and wages war on Rama.

All seems lost ,Rama is outnumbered by 14,000 demons, but help arrives just in time, from the other outcasts and exiles of the forest, all willling to fight for Rama....and so the battle continues!!

Another good installment in this epic saga! I particularly enjoyed learning more about Ravana, and his family, especially his pacifistic, god adhering, mortal admiring brother! The real 'blacksheep' of the family..but still loyal to his brother. Also, the character of Supanakha, drawn to Rama, a man she will never have...."a woman (or Demon) scorned....!" Oh dear! I think she's going to be trouble for Rama!

Onto book four!!

At the beginning of 'book four', the story has moved on, with thirteen years of guerilla warfare by Ramas' army and the final battle to destroy the remaining demon enemy. The battle is won, but Supranakha escapes to return to the demon homeland of Lanka, with revenge still in her heart.

Rama also meets Hanuman, a messanger for the 'vanar' race of beings- a human-like monkey race. Hanuman asks Rama to help his wrongly usurped king in exile to regain his rightful crown from his evil brother, but Rama declines, as his exile is almost at an end, and he doesn't want to embark on another war. hanuman respects his decision and returns home.

Meanwhile, with a little of Rama's blood, Supranakha is able to revive the demon lord Ravana from his coma, and through deception, Ravana kidnaps Sita, Rama's wife, and takes her back to Lanka.

Rama is distraught and needs to rescue Sita, but is unable to gain help from his own people, as his exile is still in force. So, he seeks out the exiled king of the Vanars and offers to defeat his evil brother in combat, in return for the help of the king's Vanar army in waging war on Ravana in the land of Lanka. The deal is made, the evil brother dethroned, and the king of the vanars promises Rama his army. Hanuman is sent as a messanger to the Vanar clans to rally the troops.....

Poor Rama!! Will his trials ever end?? And so close the to end of his exile!!

And Sita, his faithful wife..will she be strong enough to ward off the evil Ravana now she is his prisoner? And the monkey nation of the Vanars...will they come through for Rama?

On to book five.......!

Edited by northernnutter