Northernnutters reading list 2009.

northernnutter

Hi all,

I'm very new to the forum, so hope you don't mind me joining in!:D

Wish I'd found this forum earlier in the year, as looking at my library info, I've already read over 100 titles this year.:D Too many to list at this point. So, I thought I would start off with some of my favourites so far, then carry on from there.

So, here we go......

Albom, mitch. Five people you meet in heaven.

Austin, jane. Pride and predjudice. (must read at least once a year!)

Banker, ashok. The 'Ramayana' series. (Books 1-6)

Baxter, steven. Evolution.

Broderick, william. A whispered name.

Bronte, emily, Wuthering heights.

Capote, truman. Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Collins, wilkie. The woman in white.

Davidson, andrew. The gargoyle.

Fforde, jasper. The Eyre Affair.

Fforde, jasper. The Big Easy.

Fforde, jasper. The Fourth bear.

Graves, robert. I, Claudius & Claudius, the god.

Harris, jane. The observations.

Heller, joseph. Catch 22.

Hosseini, khaled. A thousand splendid suns.

Kellerman, jesse. The brutal art.

Kostova, elisabeth. The historian.

Meyer, stephenie. The Host.

Larsson, steig. The Girl with the Dragon tattoo.

Lukyanenko, sergei. The Nightwatch.

Okri, ben. The famished road.

Peake, mervyn laurence. The gormenghast trilogy.

Pratchett, terry.(pretty much the whole series-again!!)

Rushdie, salman. The enchantress of Florence.

Sansom, c.j. Revelation

Schama, simon. 'A history of Britain' series.

Sebold, alice. The lovely bones.

Shriver, lionel. We need to talk about Kevin.

Stoker, bram. Dracula.

My favourites, so far.......!!

Currently on the TBR shelf, probably in the next week or seven..

Paolini, christopher. Eragon.

Niffenegger, audrey. The time traveler's wife.

Armstrong, kelly. Bitten.

Connelly, john. Nocturnes.

Northernnutter.

Edited by northernnutter

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good selection of favourite books you've got there! Can I be cheeky and ask you to tell us a few you've disliked or not enjoyed this year as well? Just curious, so don't feel pressured if you don't want to. :friends0:

Hi chesilbeach.

Tough question!! To be honest, there are very few books that I've read this year that I can say I have disliked. Primarily because I tend to choose books within genres' that appeal to me.

I was given a stack of Katie Fforde books over the summer by my sister-in-law, and although I'm not a chic-lit fan, I gave them a go, but found they weren't my cup of tea!

See you're reading the moonstone, by the way. Great book!! Really keeps you guessing!!

Cheers...Northernnutter.

I understand you've read Pride & Prejudice many times?:friends0:

Wuthering Heights is brilliant;)

Indeed Dimitra!! P and P is one of my all time favourites. Will never forget the first time I endulged and reached the part of the 'marriage proposal'!! I was in a bingo hall at the time, (Don't ask!!), and squealed audibly with excitement and delight, which was followed by many focused stares and 'tut's of disgust!

I will never forget it!

Wuthering heights? Fabulous! Although I was terribly dissapointed with the recent adaptation on tv. Where was the passion?? Ah well....stick to the book, I think.

Cheers.....northernnutter.

Wuthering heights? Fabulous! Although I was terribly dissapointed with the recent adaptation on tv. Where was the passion?? Ah well....stick to the book, I think.

I couldn't agree more .. I didn't stick it out.

I'm loving your book lists .. great books.

Interesting books - I see a few that I love on there. :friends0: What is the Gormenghast Trilogy like? I think I read that the first is good but then it's downhill?

Hi Kylie, glad to hear we may have similar tastes!

As for the Gormenghast trilogy. How to describe it?? Well, I would say the only way to find out is if you give it a go!! A bit of a cop-out, I know, but to give you an idea, I would describe it as a gothic fantasy, but with no sign of 'dragons' or 'elves', a totally different take on fantasy literature. Be prepared to be transported into a delicious 'other world'. Atmospheric, claustrophobic, with beautifully descriptive prose, and some of the richest characters created. ('Steerpike' is one of my all time favourite characters!!)

I would agree that the first two parts of the trilogy,(Titus Groan and Gormenghast), stand apart from the third, (Titus Alone), primarily because the third part is set away from Gormenghast Castle, (a character in itself!), so loses some of the intensity found in the former two parts. It also becomes a little erratic and unfocused in plot. (Due, many believe, to it being written whilst Peake fell into 'madness' himself, and eventually being completed by a surrogate author.) However, still worth reading!!

Hope this has piqued your interest a little and you choose to indulge!!

Cheers.....Northernnutter.

Just finished reading 'the famished road', by Ben Okri.

What can I say about this book? Well, I know I've read something different when it takes me three days to get through it.

The synopsis;

'Azaro is a spirit-child who is born only to live for a short while before returning to the idyllic world of his spirit companions. Now he has chosen to stay in the world of the living. This is his story.'

And we are given the story through Azaro's eyes. Living in 'our' world. A world of hardship, poverty, political upheval in an African slum compound on the verge of change. The trials and tribulations of his family and neighbours. Of love and loss, pride and courage.

Azaro not only has to deal with all of these issues, but,as a 'spirit child', also has to face the continued visions of the many spirits that walk amongst us in this world, unseen by others, tempting and harrassing him to leave 'this' world and return to theirs.

And why it took a while to read? Because the writing is so beautiful, you just can't rush it. Practically every sentence, every paragraph Okri writes is awash with imagery and charm. Almost poetic in description. The scenes where Azaro encounters spirits are almost 'halucinogenic', and drag you into Azaro's visions full tilt.

This book made me mad with the injustice of it all, and full in the heart with the hope that love and suffering can bring.

There is a sequel to this book, and I shall be rushing out to source it!!

This one is getting added to my 'Favourites so far...list!!

Northernnutter.

I read 'The Famished Road' years ago, and agree that,

Practically every sentence, every paragraph Okri writes is awash with imagery and charm. Almost poetic in description.
. He is a wonderful writer.

Have you read 'Astonishing The Gods'? I can thoroughly recommend this one as surpassing the descriptive qualities of 'The Famished Road'.

Lovely review NN! :eek2:

Ok, a bit of an update on my reading activity.

Finished the 'night angel' trilogy by Brent Weeks.

These books I would definately class as 'adult' fantasy! The books are gritty, dark, sometimes gory and use quite 'colourful' language, but I really enjoyed them!! The characters are built well throughout the books, and the author touches on some interesting themes, primarily power. The use, (and abuse) of it, and it's effect on others. The storyline is pretty 'fantasy' standard- the fight between good and evil, with magic and sourcery thrown in, but the characters stand it out from the rest. Interesting and colourful, with human emotions and fears, and not 'clearcut' good or evil- there's ambiguity there!!

If you can take the adult theme and language of these books, and you're into fantasy, I'd highly recommend them!!

Also just finished reading 'The five people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom.

Loved this book. Although the theme is death, I came away from it with a feeling of warmth and security. I found the style of the author simple yet thought provoking, and it left me wondering who my five would be? It left me with the feeling of grabbing each day as it comes, and just doing what you do- you never know how the smallest things may effect others, we're all linked on this earth, whether we realise it or not.

Going on my favourites' so far.....list!

Edited by northernnutter

Finished 'a thousand splendid suns' by Khaled Hosseini a few days ago, and even now, the story of Mariam and Leila keeps invading my thoughts.

A heartwrenching tale of the suffering and abuse of two women in wartorn Afghanistan, where ultimately, their friendship, strength and love prevails over all else. The endurance of Mariam and Leila's spirit will stay with for a long time to come.

A wonderful book.

Also, just re-read 'monstrous regiment' by Terry Pratchett, another book of women and war, but so 'very, very ' different!

Love Mr Pratchett!! Can bring a smile to my face on the most dull of days!!

Have both of those books on my TBR; A Thousand Splendid Suns and Monstrous Regiment. Have been wanting to read both for a while now, might push them up a smidge thanks to you good comments.

Just finished 'A whispered name', by William broderick.

Originally picked this off the library shelf for the OH, to try and get him reading! The WW1 theme is of some interest to him, but ended up reading it myself!!

Now, books of this type aren't really my cup of tea, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

The story concerns a deceased brother of Larkwood monastery, Herbert Moore, and his role as an officer in the First world war. It concentrates on his role in a court martial concerning the desertion of an Irish soldier during the campaigns on Flanders fields.

I enjoyed this book because the narrative incorporates an interesting plot of mystery and discovery, as well as telling the harrowing story of the lives of soldiers on the front line.

The plot jumps from the present, where father Anselm tries to uncover the mystery of Moore's past, and an 'unusual court martial, and the time of WW1 where the main characters tell the story in their own words.

The book paints a true picture of the lives of soldiers on the front line by the soldiers' own voices and experiences, and also, how we judge the acts of war in the present day, with the luxury of hindsight.

Ultimately the book concentrates on the issues of love, desperation, fear, and, finally, self sacrifice of the most profound kind.

A great book, and well worth reading!!

NN.

Ahhh glad to see you liked "We Need to Talk about Kevin." I read this about 6 months ago or so and loved it! I'm in the minority around here on it though, so happy to see another reader in favor of the book to join us few who really liked it. :friends0:

Also loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns".. I did the same thing and thought about the characters for days afterward. Such a wonderful story!

It sounds really good, NN. I'm trying to resist buying any more books at the moment (and failing!) but I might keep my eyes open for this one in secondhand/charity shops!

ETA: Did your OH read it?!

Know where you are coming from Janet!!

Went into town today, supposedly only to the library, but ended up buying three more books!! All of them recommended by the lovely people on here. This website's costing me a fortune!!

And, no, the OH hasn't read it yet. He's ploughing through 'To play the fox', a WW2 fighter pilot story. Considering he's probably read maybe 2 books in the 12 years we've been together, I don't want to rush the poor soul. He'll get there eventually!

ps. Lovely avatar!!

NN.

Ahhh glad to see you liked "We Need to Talk about Kevin." I read this about 6 months ago or so and loved it! I'm in the minority around here on it though, so happy to see another reader in favor of the book to join us few who really liked it. :friends0:

Also loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns".. I did the same thing and thought about the characters for days afterward. Such a wonderful story!

Hi Bethany.

Nice to talk to you!! I'm surprised we're in the minority on "we need to talk about Kevin".

I really enjoyed it too. I'm a paediatric nurse, and have worked with kids all my working life, so, I found the underlying nature vs nurture aspect of the novel really interesting!! Mind you, if you were thinking of having kids at the time of reading this, I can see why some people would find it disturbing!

NN.